This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Please Help, Frustration Level Is High

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

oh yah, you're a man with a sense of humor. :D i didn't uninstall it however i did find an option to repair the installation. i'm trying that now. funny guy
I just noticed that the number of files checked changed dramatically AFTER you deleted the files in the temp folder.

Do you think there were that many files in the temp folder to account for the difference? :unsure:

Watch out!!! Don't step on that Mackerel!!!

><(((°>
I'll be careful of the fish. There were alot of files in the temp folder. I'm not sure. I ran avg again with the same result. I've tried reinstalling and now I'm running it again. I'm very nervous about uninstalling and reinstalling. How many temp folders are there. I usually empty the one under windows. I've found cookie folders where I didn't know they would be. I heard it's not good to delete cookies but adaware shows alot of cookies as spyware. Is IEspyad a free program. I saw it in the recommendations. I don't think adaware blocks the spyware it finds like spybot does. You spend alot of time helping people with this stuff and it's pretty great. I wish I had more knowledge but I'm learning. I'm better at communications.
These are all the "temp" places that I know about:

C:\Documents and settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\

C:\Documents and settings\ (insert each user name here) \Local Settings\Temp\

C:\Windows\Temp\

C:\Temp\

About cookies… I prefer coconut chocolate chip…. :)

Actually, It's a good thing to clear out the cookies occaisionlly. Do that by clicking the "Tools" at the top of your IE page, then "Intenet Options", then "Delete cookies" then "OK". On that same menu go to "Delete files" , check "Delete all offline content" then click "OK". Keeps your browser working smoother, I think. I do that at least once a day. Although I have a program called CookieWall to deal with the cookies.

IE-Spyad is free, and it also blocks about 99.999% of the "tracking cookies" the spyware programs find.

Firewalls - I have Norton Internet Security. There is a free one available called Zone Alarm that a lot of people use.

Firewalls are there to prevent people from hacking into your PC. When you are online there are open ports (paths from the outside into your machine) that people can use to gain access to your machine. They will also alert you if a program on your machine accesses the internet (the first time).

:)
i did those things. much easier than going through all the folders in windows explorer. does deleting all offline content empty the temp folders or do i need to go to each one. i'll check out zone alarm and ie-spyad. now coconut chocolate chip cookies are good but then again anything with chocolate, except white chocolate, is good. i'm a chocoholic. then there's jamoca almond fudge ice cream. heaven. do you do this for a living too?
Another way of cleansing your machine of temp files is:

Start > My Computer

on "Local Disk (C:)" , Choose "Disk Cleanup", then check these only:

Temporary files
Temporary Internet files

Then click "OK"

When I'm not fighting malware, I program computer controlled machines to manufacture aircraft parts. :)
another short cut. i'm giddy. sounds like you have a very cool job. i hope it's secure in this time of worldly unrest. it's been great talking to you and thank you for all of your help but i must go to bed. 4:30 comes so early and i was up very late last night. i hope to chat with you again.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it
reopened, please send us an email (Click here to email) with a link to your thread.


Donations in support of this Web Site are always appreciated

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid,
working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used.
If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI