This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Please Help, Frustration Level Is High

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

hi all,
any help would be greatly appreciated. I've already had to have a friend reformat my hard drive because of a different trojan. i've got this virus and can't find any solutions. i've also found when i'm online there are alot of keywords which are highlighted. links. i'm sure this is a virus or something. i've run spy-bot, avg, vcleaner,adaware and numerous others which will scan but not clean. pest patrol found alot but i can't purchase that. now i'm pretty concerned with what pest patrol found (68) and the others aren't. here is my log. please help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 11:09:57 PM, on 9/18/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\temp\ZqpanR.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Web Offer\wo.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\POPUPS~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://www.begin2search.com/googlesidesearch.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.begin2search.com/googlesidesearch.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.begin2search.com/googlesidesearch.html
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.begin2search.com/googlesidesearch.html
O2 - BHO: ohb - {4D568F0F-8AC9-40AB-88B7-415134C78777} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winb2s32.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Search Help - {E8EAEB34-F7B5-4C55-87FF-720FAF53D841} - C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Wk10s.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Begin2Search.com Bar - {52FE5233-367C-4EFB-BDD7-0BE4D212C107} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winb2s32.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZqpanR] C:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\temp\ZqpanR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrojanScanner] C:\Program Files\Trojan Remover\Trjscan.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [eZWO] C:\PROGRA~1\Web Offer\wo.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MyDailyHoroscope] C:\PROGRA~1\MYDAIL~1\MYDAIL~1.EXE
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperProfessional] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\POPUPS~1.EXE"
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ms.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MaxSpeed - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ms.exe (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {78A730D4-0DF3-4B65-8DD2-BFCD433CEE30} - http://www.surfsecret.com/inst/PPInstaller.exe

thanks in advance.
cd
Greetings and welcome to TomCoyote.org!

CLOSE ALL WINDOWS (even this one) AND PROGRAMS!!!!

Run Hijack This!
Click "Scan", then "check" the box to the left of these item(s):

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://www.begin2search.com/googlesidesearch.html

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.begin2search.com/googlesidesearch.html

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.begin2search.com/googlesidesearch.html

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.begin2search.com/googlesidesearch.html

O2 - BHO: ohb - {4D568F0F-8AC9-40AB-88B7-415134C78777} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winb2s32.dll

O2 - BHO: Search Help - {E8EAEB34-F7B5-4C55-87FF-720FAF53D841} - C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Wk10s.dll

O3 - Toolbar: Begin2Search.com Bar - {52FE5233-367C-4EFB-BDD7-0BE4D212C107} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winb2s32.dll

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZqpanR] C:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\temp\ZqpanR.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [eZWO] C:\PROGRA~1\Web Offer\wo.exe


Then click "Fix checked".

Reboot in "safe" mode.

Find and delete:

c:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\temp\wk10s.dll <— file

c:\documents and settings\owner\local settings\temp\zqpanr.exe <— file

c:\program files\web offer <— FOLDER

c:\windows\system32\winb2s32.dll <— file

Some malware files may be "hidden". Be sure to show hidden files when looking for these file(s).

Reboot in normal mode and "copy/paste" a new log file into this thread. :)

OPTIONAL FIX

Remove "MyDailyHoroscope" - It can bring unwanted pop-ups and ads to your machine.
hi, thank you so much for your help. i fixed and found and deleted all the other files. here is the new log.
cd

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 8:13:10 PM, on 9/19/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\BCMSMMSG.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\POPUPS~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BCMSMMSG] BCMSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG7\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrojanScanner] C:\Program Files\Trojan Remover\Trjscan.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperProfessional] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\POPUPS~1.EXE"
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ms.exe (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MaxSpeed - {120E090D-9136-4b78-8258-F0B44B4BD2AC} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ms.exe (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061…all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {78A730D4-0DF3-4B65-8DD2-BFCD433CEE30} - http://www.surfsecret.com/inst/PPInstaller.exe
The log looks good, Ma'am!!! :thumbup:

GOD bless!!!

M68 :)

Items you may wish to consider to harden your defenses against future infections:

Read "How did I get infected in the first place?" here:

http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957

Download IE-Spyad here:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource.htm

IE-Spyad puts over 4000 known malicious web sites into IE's "restricted zone" to help prevent you from getting infected.

Check your browser settings here:

http://browsercheck.qualys.com/index.php

A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.

Follow safe Internet practices:

1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.

2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.

3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.

4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.

5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.
(Personally, I'm NOT recommending SP2 for XP at this time)

wow, you're wonderful. those highlighted links are gone and it's already performing better. the virus trojan downloader.agent.as is still there though. thank you again.
Hi, here it is. I've gone to the file and I'm unable to delete it. When I right click on it I have two options, copy or extract. I did neither. I've tried to get rid of it in safe mode also and that didn't work. There are two of these. C:\Documents and settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\THI486A.tmp\localNRD.cab:\polall1.exe
Have you tried to delete all files in the "temp" folder? :unsure:

C:\Documents and settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\THI486A.tmp <– Delete all files in this FOLDER
Hi, okay well the rephrase came to late. I did delete everything in the temp folder. I ran AVG and the virus usually comes up quickly and it didn't so this is great. Thank you. I did notice that AVG is now only checking approximately 11k files so this may be why. I restarted and ran again and it's still only checking 11k compared to the 68k before.
I don't think you sounded "out of sorts" :) It's pretty safe (on XP) to delete things in the "temp" folder. I was just being cautious. I went and checked my temp folder, and all the files in it were 2 years old (or older). Next time I'll think a little longer before acting. :oops: I don't know anyone (personally) who uses AVG, so I won't be much use there. M68 :)
thank you for all your help. you're wonderful. i think i'll reinstall avg then run it again. hopefully it will check all files and the virus will be gone.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI