Have followed the instructions given and removed various trojans. However, I am unable to find the .exe. files mentioned, even with the hidden files visible.
The hijackthis report is below:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 12:23:30, on 12/08/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
Reboot in "safe" mode. Use the link in my signature to tell you how if necessary.
Find and delete:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\binrr.dll <— file
C:\WINDOWS\System32\binrrc.exe <— file
Some malware files may be "hidden". Use the link in my signature to explain how to show "hidden" files if necessary.
Reboot in normal mode and post a new log file.
Thank you Micah,
I have run Hijackthis and deleted the entries. I have also deleted binrrc.exe in safe mode. Though I couldn't find binrr.dll.
The problem is still occurring.
The hijackthis log is below.
Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 17:56:02, on 16/08/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
I am unable to locate any malware in your last log file.
Are the problems you are experiencing exactly the same as before any of the fixes?
Can you describe the pop-ups? What do they advertise? What site do they try to take you to?
Thanks Micah,
The malware has now gone and the 6180180.net popups have stopped.
I think the mistake I made was to leave the binrr.exe in the deleted items folder where it was still able to retrieve websites. I had actually previously deleted the binrr.dll which was also in the deleted items folder (must have already suspected it). There were also some binrr xml files, which I also deleted.
This has been a great resource and source of information for getting rid of malware. I will definitely be recommending it to anyone who has similar problems. I will also make a dontation.
Best wishes,
Danny
A series of "tests" (and suggested fixes) to help tweak IE's settings to help prevent infections when surfing the web.
Follow safe Internet practices:
1. Keep your virus definitions up to date, and scan your system regularly.
2. Don't open email, or download attachments from unrecognized email addresses.
3. Be careful when downloading email attachments, EVEN FROM PEOPLE YOU KNOW! Many virii, worms, and trojans infect a persons system then immeadiately spread themselves to the people in the infected persons addressbook via email attachments.
4. Be careful downloading files from the Internet. Scan all downloaded files with a reliable UP-TO-DATE antivirus program. Scan "zip" files BEFORE unzipping, and scan all unzipped files BEFORE USING THEM.
5. Keep your Windows and IE current with all the latest patches and updates.
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.
Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI