Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

"marketscore" Bug

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Todd_*

Guest_Todd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:10 PM

Not sure if this is the right place for this (my apologies if it is not) but here goes.

After running AdAware (multiple times), Spybot, and even attempting the "secret uninstall" instructions at the bottom of the description listed below, I am still completely unable to get rid of this parasite.

It only shows up when I run AdAware, but it does show up every time I run it, regardless of anything else I have done to try to get rid of it i.e. spybot, adaware quarantine, clearing cache & cookies, etc.

I am running windows XP and a total novice when it comes to anything having to do with parasites and spyware.

Any input or suggestions on how to get this thing off of my machine would be truly appreciated.

Please see below.
Thanks in advance.

Todd

-----

Description:
MarketScore is a proxy service which claims to increase the speed of your internet connection. It runs at startup to ensure all your web connections are routed through MarketScore's proxies. (I did not observe any significant speedup from using the service.)

Also known as:
Netsetter (previous name), ossproxy (program name).

Distribution:
Is installed through ActiveX at MarketScore's site, heavily pushed by MarketScore affiliates. Possibly installed with some ISP software?

What it does -

Advertising:
No.

Privacy violation:
Yes. Every web connection you make, including 'secure' connections, goes through the proxies and is logged and analysed on behalf of MarketScore's customer companies.

Security issues:
Unconfirmed. There is a 'required update' feature, but it is unknown whether this happens without consent from the user.

Stability problems:
Won't work if you have to use a different proxy. Will kill your internet connection if you try to delete the csloa.dll component manually.

Removal:
There is a hidden uninstall feature. Open a DOS command prompt window (from Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter (for Windows 95/98/Me):

"%WinDir%\SYSTEM\NSCheck.exe" /uninstall

Or for Windows NT/2000/XP just:

NSCheck /uninstall

Spybot S&D version 0.95b6 and up can remove MarketScore.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Guest_growermn_*

Guest_growermn_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:09 PM

You might try first, by taking it out of your start up menu. Than do file and folders search to locate it, deleate... but save trash for a week to make sure you got the right critter. Can always restore if its still in trash. Try see what happens. Jeff

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2003 - 07:26 PM

Thanks a bunch for the input. It seems that after installing and running some other "spy stuff" I may have gotten this resolved. I guess I don't know for sure since I don't know what I'm doing with this stuff, but so far - so good. Thanks again. Todd