This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

win7 memory stck issue

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Just looking for answers from someone more knowledgeable than me.

 

I decided to buy a memory stick to create a Macrium reflect back up for my Win 7 pc, it appeared to load ok on to the memory stick but I couldn’t access the file, after googling it appears that ex(fat) format doesn’t allow large files, so maybe thats why it failed. Would this be correct?

 

Secondly a folder I had on the memory stick for old financial docs I decided to hide just to try that function but ended up hiding them but not being able to unhide them.

 

All this not a problem as I just reformatted the memory stick and started from scratch

 

Is it likely that the memory stick is an issue or probably my lack of knowledge re computers.

I decided to buy a memory stick to create a Macrium reflect back up for my Win 7 pc, it appeared to load ok on to the memory stick but I couldn’t access the file, 

 

 

 

I take it that you mean a USB flashdrive as a memory stick cannot be used for permanent storage etc,

 

 

Can you explain what you mean by " it appeared to load ok on to the memory stick " and " I couldn’t access the file, " 

 

 

after googling it appears that ex(fat) format doesn’t allow large files, 

 

 

Not correct as exFAT does not have any real file size or partition size limits.

 

What storage capacity is the device that you purchased and from where was it obtained.

 

 

Just a fyi, Macrium Reflect is cloning type software that is commonly used for cloning the contents of one drive to another, the target drives nowadays are typically many gigabytes (hundreds) or even terabytes, cloning what you mention in your OP is not the norm in all honesty.

I BOUGHT A Super Fast USB2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Thumb Flash Drive  512GB (ON EBAY)

File system exFAT.

 

I already done a back on a old hardrive from an old PC that loaded ok file size 295GB, this one loaded on flash drive to similar size then at the very end a message saying error could not load, I tried again and it appeared to load but would not allow access to the files (I cant remember the exact messages)

 

To clarify I was creating an `image` of my pc C drive.

I BOUGHT A Super Fast USB2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Thumb Flash Drive  512GB (ON EBAY)

 

 

Just about the last place on earth that anyone should purchase such a device, ebay is unfortunately used by the unscrupulous to sell counterfeit goods that are not as advertised.

 

We could do with a screenshot of Disk Manager while you have the pen drive in one of the USB ports.

 

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
 
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.
 
To capture and post a screenshot;
 
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start…all programs…accessories…paint….left click in the white area …press CTRL + V…click on file…click on save…save it to your desktop…name it something related to the screen your capturing… BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG …otherwise it may be to big to upload… then after typing in any response you have… click on More Reply Options… Choose file…find the screenshot.. select it and click on the Attach This File button…then on the lower left…after it says upload successful…click on add reply like you normally would.
 
Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.
 
Edit to add: Will come back to the contents on the drive shortly.

The device looks to be genuine but almost empty and with no bootable media on it.

 

Other than what you mention having hid have you deleted or changed in any way what you backed up to the device using Macrium Reflect, no matter if you have but was hoping to check the contents of any folders that you may have on the device, a Windows 7 folder for eample.

 

Would suggest that you remove the removable G: device from the PC while you are working on this.

I will try and explain….. I have a Macrium image on an old hard drive but thought the flash drive would be easier to use. I attempted twice to do a Macrium image to the flash drive and it failed, so I then deleted them and loaded some other files from my PC, images and some spreadsheets, this worked ok, I then tried to hide one file on the flash drive as it had financial info on it, I ended up not being able to access the hidden one (my lack of knowledge would probably have messed that up) so I then wiped everything and just loaded my photography images and spreadsheets on it which is all it contains at the moment.

Kind of been chasing my tail then as I thought that you were still wanting to try and access a Windows 7 OS on the device.

 

The below to reiterate that mentioned in my reply #2;

 

 

Just a fyi, Macrium Reflect is cloning type software that is commonly used for cloning the contents of one drive to another, the target drives nowadays are typically many gigabytes (hundreds) or even terabytes, cloning what you mention in your OP is not the norm in all honesty.

 

 

While it could technically be done it really is not the norm to clone the contents of a boot drive to a USB pen drive and especially an OS that pre dates UEFI BIOS, Windows 7 uses Legacy BIOS so even if bootable should your system be the UEFI type the Windows media on your pen drive would not boot up in any event.

 

For the intended to have any chance of success the below would need to apply;

 

The Windows 7 OS and MB drivers on the pen drive must have been installed with the present MB.

 

The destination disk and pen drive formatted the same, your Windows 7 is NTFS for example.

 

The BIOS set to boot from a USB device and not the HDD/SSD in the computer.

 

 

Should you wish to try this again the three steps above must be applied.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI