This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows10 curser hangs and leads to crash

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

Help needed please.

I have an HP Notebook laptop 15-ba077Sa with 4 Gb Ram and 1Tb drive. It has Windows 10, Pro Plus 2019, Firefox and Avast free antivirus with windows firewall. It is set for windows automatic updates. Use microsoft outlook.com.live for emails.

About 4 weeks ago the curser started freezing and unfreezing every few minutes, things hung during use and it became difficult and very slow to use. I had made no other changes or downloads and I mostly use the machine for surfing, emails.

I restarted several times but the problem was still there. I tried to run System Restore but it would not complete. Tried troubleshoot hardware but nothing found or fixed.  

Eventually I managed to run Chkdsk which took hours to complete but did find and fix errors and upon restart everything appeared to be working normally.

Several days later the same problems returned exactly with curser freezing and unfreezing and system hanging. This time it led to  “Preparing Automatic Repair” but never continued. I restarted several times but it always came up with Preparing Automatic Repair. So anyway I left it with the message on the screen and after several hours it continued to the Repair menus. I managed to run chkdsk from the menues. After an automatic restart, the computer appeared to work normally again for several days. I have only used mail and internet surfing since.

The same problem has occurred again for the third time and after restarting the system it opens with black screen and “Preparing Automatic Repair”. I also tried a hard reboot to non avail.

I cannot get it to continue from Preparing Automatic Repair after restarts, pressing power button off and on again 3 times and am stuck on this screen. It has been there for 2 days now.

 

I need help to get back to Windows desktop and then to resolve what is causing the hanging and crashing to repeat.

 

Many thanks in advance.

Barry A

 

 

Eventually I managed to run Chkdsk which took hours to complete 

 

 

The warning signs were there I`m afraid, your personal data should have been backed up straight away and either a clean install of Windows been tried and/or the HDD replaced.

 

I cannot get it to continue from Preparing Automatic Repair after restarts, pressing power button off and on again 3 times and am stuck on this screen. It has been there for 2 days now.

 

 

If you mean the Windows Recovery Environment it supports the above, Windows is corrupt, the HDD bad or a combination of both.

 

Let us know of there is data on the drive that you need and whether or not you have Windows 10 media.

Hello Phill

Sorry for the delay but I have been away over the weekend.

 

I cannot understand how Windows can be damaged irratrievably or the Hard Disk can be seriously damaged, I have only used internet and emails on this computer, Windows updates are the only changes taking place.

 

Will f11 take me into the Recovery Environment and to Troubleshoot so I can run chkdsk or to get back to desktop? If I can get the computer back to working, if temporarily, perhaps someone can help me to look for the problem.

 

thanks

Barry

Do you Phill or anyone else have any suggestions to help me progress past the Preparing Automatic Repair message which the black screen has been stuck on for a week now. I do not have Windows Media ( assuming you mean a disc). I have very few data files on the computer and would  have to live with losing those.

Help still required please.

I took my laptop to a reputable repair shop who diagnosed the hard disk has major faults. I now have an SSD fitted which is super quick and very smooth, so an excellent investment.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Barry

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI