Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

MS Office Home and Student 2019 Word icon wrong color

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:26 PM

Since the 20H1 update the Word icon on desktop is the only pinned icon which is gray while all other 8 I chose to pin are blue. I did a local and online repair to no avail and submitted to feedback.

Will an update fix this?

A 600 MB upload failed to show you.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:45 PM

Screen capture to show what you are seeing?????

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:32 AM

I do print screen then paste to paint. I keep reducing size but WTT still will not accept it.

---------------------

There are 6 pinned icons to desktop and all are full of color. The word icon is more gray than blue and definitely is not the word icon. I am afraid there s a problem that replacing the icon won't fix but I could be wrong. I don't know how to replace the icon either.

I did a DISM, SFC, restore and ran the installation stick with the DISM command.

***  I ran the total repair in Programs and Features under MS Office but although it was successful the icon is still odd with he blue Word icon within a dark gray background.

It is so current there is not much about it on the web or YouTube.

I have MS office home and student 2019 so I don't think reinstalling it will help because the repair tool did that.

Question - If there is no apparent fix am I better off getting a Macrium image of 1909 and doing the update again or

using the stick and doing a clean installation with the after work it requires?

Edited by Peter1, 30 May 2020 - 05:41 AM.

#4 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:49 AM

The file Ztrucker asked for regarding Word being off color is 8.81 KB in size. I have tried Paint and Photo. It is a PNG file. 

I tried both the advanced and basic uploader.

I have never had an issue uploading a file to any site an am puzzled. Could I take a photo and send it to my pc for upload?

Could you please tell me how to upload it?

Thank you

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:49 AM

Save as .jpg, not .png. Has to be less than 1MB. 8KB should be fine.

Rich

#6 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:24 PM

I kept  sizing the picture down to 4 KB as JPG and it still would not display. At 4 KB it is visible but hardly.

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:17 PM

I just did a Print Screen, pasted into Paint and did a Save as MyDesktop.jpg. Size is 647KB. Clicked on More Options, Browsed for the file and uploaded it, then clicked on Add to post, no problem.

The upload dialog says: You can upload up to Unlimited of files (Max. single file size:

100MB

MyDesktop.jpg

Rich

#8 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:59 PM

Which browser did you use because I got a brief pop up saying the browser was involved. I use Chrome and then tried edge.
I did exactly as you said using print screen and paint.

#9 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:25 PM

I use Seamonkey which is similar to Firefox. I'll try Chrome but I really don't think it matters.

Okay, this is with Chrome:

140KB

Desktop2.jpg

171KB

DesktopSize.jpg

I did a Print Screen. Opened IrfanView and pasted it into there.

Used Resize/Resample to reduce the Width to 12 inches (not pixels) which also reduced the length proportionally then did a Save as.

Edited my post then clicked on Use full editor then Choose File and Attach File then clicked on Add to Post. Repeated for the other .jpg

Worked fine. Doesn't matter what browser you use.

Edited by Ztruker, 30 May 2020 - 06:39 PM.

Rich

#10 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:03 AM

Because there are two issues here I will answer the first having t do with the word icon which began the thread. I will use your information to address the attachment later which became part of the thread trying to show the issue graphically..

My Word account is correct.

I saw that the icon is so odd and different from all others it really does not blend in so figured there was something wrong.

All icons seem to have the same basic scheme in color and shape  but this is way off.  

Apparently, after finally seeing another like it in Office 2016, there is no problem in my 2019 Home and Student.

The oddity has been confirmed by 2 other users with Word, saying there was a problem with Windows development.

I know nothing about why it is like this, I am glad although it is odd looking, it is normal for Windows + functional.

I will continue to see if I can post a picture but only to see if it can be done on my end.

I swear I upload to forums all the time with no issue. I also swear I did exactly as you say in the uploading process. I wonder if my upload cache coud be full? I have always had that problem here but not elsewhere. 

#11 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:15 PM

Here is a short video I made of the steps I follow to upload a jpg. It's neat as I learned about a program called ActivePresenter which is what I used to record my Desktop. Very easy to use.

To big to upload here (10 MB) so I put on OneDrive, link below. I guarantee it clean since I just created it and ran it a few time, also scanned with Defender and Malwarebytes.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!...bWIWoQ?e=RvI7lo

Rich

#12 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:39 PM

I will study your referral and thank you for all the work. I was going to use the test area so I don't make a mess here but there is no more reply options there.

I tried uploading to a bunch of old forums I have used over the years and had no trouble.

I wonder if one has to be skilled as you are to just upload the right size file as .JPG orr other format..

No problem as I will work it out. 

Edited by Peter1, 01 June 2020 - 12:46 PM.

#13 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:32 PM

I just delete the post when done so I don't leave much of a mess :D

Rich

#14 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:36 PM

By the way I was just in contact with Microsoft and they confirmed that my icon is the appropriate one as odd as it looks. They took control of my computer and then after showed me the new icon that I have in their system. The old icons were far more appealing.
Issue closed and thanks