Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Cannot get wireless connection

Best Answer Tomk , 06 June 2020 - 08:20 AM

I could be.  Not because of the actual passage of time, but the fact that it is running "old" technology. I know it's a pain, and a monetary investment may be required... but you should seriously consider getting rid of XP.  Windows... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 06:14 AM

Asus notebook using win XP. Using Virgin network. Connects ok with ethernet cable. Tried `repair` wireless connection...Nope Tried disabling adaptor then enabling....nope I had this issue before and then it started working again but don't know why. What else to try?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:47 PM

scudo,

You should not be connecting a XP system to the internet.  It just isn't safe.  It's like Covid-19.  You are a danger to everyone else, and you can't put a n95 mask on it.

That being said, does your system even see the network you want to attach to?

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#3 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:05 AM

I use a pc on a day to day basis the notebook only twice a year on holiday and then mostly for spreadsheet and picture editing stuff with very little internet use.

#4 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:49 PM

So... can you "see" the connection?

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#5 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 04:41 AM

Tomk, thanks for your reply.

After not connecting over several days it now suddenly has connected, I haven't altered anything so looks like I am going to have to accept intermittent connectivity as it did similar about a year ago.

Could it just be the age of the notebook, I guess about 12 years old.

#6 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:20 AM   Best Answer

I could be.  Not because of the actual passage of time, but the fact that it is running "old" technology.

I know it's a pain, and a monetary investment may be required... but you should seriously consider getting rid of XP. 

Windows 7 is past end of life also, but it would still be a better option - but that would entail purchasing the new operating system. 

You might consider installing a Linus distro on it.  If you can handle using an android phone, you can handle Linux.

Another option is finding a "cheap" refurbished system with an upgraded OS already installed on it.  In my part of the world, there are several businesses that take in "last generation" corporate computers...wipe them, install new operating systems, clean them up and sell them fairly cheaply.

Depending on what you do with this, an inexpensive tablet may also be a viable alternative. For example, I have a RCA Viking tablet that cost less than $80.  I can take that with me when traveling, and use it to remotely access my computer back at my office, read emails, etc. - anywhere I have wifi.  Obviously I couldn't run, say, AutoCad or something (well, actually I can through remote desktop, but it's not super convenient).

Obviously, each choice has it's own advantages and drawbacks, and only you can determine which is best for you, but continuing to run XP, I believe, is going to cause you more headaches down the road.

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014