Cannot get wireless connection
2 min read
scudo,
You should not be connecting a XP system to the internet. It just isn't safe. It's like Covid-19. You are a danger to everyone else, and you can't put a n95 mask on it.
That being said, does your system even see the network you want to attach to?
I use a pc on a day to day basis the notebook only twice a year on holiday and then mostly for spreadsheet and picture editing stuff with very little internet use.
So… can you "see" the connection?
Tomk, thanks for your reply.
After not connecting over several days it now suddenly has connected, I haven't altered anything so looks like I am going to have to accept intermittent connectivity as it did similar about a year ago.
Could it just be the age of the notebook, I guess about 12 years old.
I could be. Not because of the actual passage of time, but the fact that it is running "old" technology.
I know it's a pain, and a monetary investment may be required… but you should seriously consider getting rid of XP.
Windows 7 is past end of life also, but it would still be a better option - but that would entail purchasing the new operating system.
You might consider installing a Linus distro on it. If you can handle using an android phone, you can handle Linux.
Another option is finding a "cheap" refurbished system with an upgraded OS already installed on it. In my part of the world, there are several businesses that take in "last generation" corporate computers…wipe them, install new operating systems, clean them up and sell them fairly cheaply.
Depending on what you do with this, an inexpensive tablet may also be a viable alternative. For example, I have a RCA Viking tablet that cost less than $80. I can take that with me when traveling, and use it to remotely access my computer back at my office, read emails, etc. - anywhere I have wifi. Obviously I couldn't run, say, AutoCad or something (well, actually I can through remote desktop, but it's not super convenient).
Obviously, each choice has it's own advantages and drawbacks, and only you can determine which is best for you, but continuing to run XP, I believe, is going to cause you more headaches down the road.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI