Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

vulnerability

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

I read at the Asus site that said my board has a vulnerability.

I was looking at the file to update the BIOS or firmware. The PC is running well so I am not going to do anything. I was chatting with Asus and they sent me a .cap file to rectify this if I wanted to. I had to rename it and send it to a flash drive. The vulnerability was noted in the file just beneath my firmware update file but did not elaborate.

I could not illicit any information out of Asus except to send the file with a caveat we all know about bricking the machine.

I have a Tuf z 390 plus gaming (WiFi) board and although I will not damage it with an updated BIOS, I am obviously concerned about this weak spot.

Is there a way to secure the machine other than a combination file with the update? I know it states it should be installed with the upgrade simultaneously. It is under warranty with he builder for another year and also with Asus. Asus said they will assist anytime if the board has a problem.

I don't know if the builder should be involved or if I should leave it alone.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 08:25 AM

Addendum- The builder agreed to assist me upgrading the firmware file simultaneously with the vulnerability. I know nothing about vulnerabilities so cannot make an educated decision as to whether or not to have the upgrade done. 

Is it more sound to remove the vulnerability from the board or keep it as is? It seems a builder could do this with less risk but the possibility of bricking does exist. That would be on me. Do you know how common mobo vulnerabilities are and if they should be fixed if need be.

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:34 AM

I began the thread so wanted to finish it.

I finally installed/updated the latest firmware file without the read me. It takes care of the Asus vulnerability which is quite widespread.

I find performance quite snappy now. Those with Asus boards should look into the vulnerability.