Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

MAPS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:57 AM

I have read about  this link and am not sure if I want to use it. I am afraid it might be too aggressive and catch too many false popups. Would you consider using it, or keeping Defender as it is?

https://www.makeuseo...more-effective/

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:27 PM

Peter,

Personally, I don't click on links to something I don't know about.  What is it you are sending me/us to?

However, my assumption, based on what you've said, is that you are looking to add something to your Defender program. 

I'm still on Windows 7 so I have MSSE rather than Defender but it's basically the same thiing.  I run it "as is".  However, it is supplemented because I also run Malwarebytes.  Other than that, I try to avoid clicking on links, ads, emails I don't know where their from, etc.  I just use my computer and really don't worry to much about it.  Years ago, I originally came to WTT because my mothers computer got infected at Christmas time when she let several of her grandchildren play with her computer and theye downloaded games.  There was no antivirus of any kind installed on that system.  I came here and the experts helped me clean it.  I hung around and they taught me to do what they did to help others.  Honestly, I had graduated from the classroom here and had began helping people clean their systems for a period of time before I got around to installing security on my own computer.  (I did install an anti-virus on my mothers when we got it clean).  I don't get infected.  I suppose that I would get more concerned if I did. I maintained 13 computers at work, and I eventually put antivirus on all of them.  A couple of them did pick up pups and one got a fake ransomware once.  I also tried to keep my sisters system running, even though her kids would sometimes bypass security programs in able to download music, movies, and games and often would have dozens of infections when she would ask me to look at it because it was constantly crashing (I think I sent a whole six months without having to clean it once until her three kids went off to college and I've only been called to fix it once since then but she also upgraded to Windows 7 about the same time)  I did see what happened to my mothers system, and helped clean, literally 100s of systems here and a few other forums so I know how intrusive and disruptive infections can be, but I remain a firm believer that the #1 protector of the system is the user, and the #1 mistake that users make is they download things that they don't know what are, they click on things that they don't know what do, or they open files that they don't know what are.

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 11:14 AM

I'm still on Windows 7 so I have MSSE

I wonder why  you are still there? Is seven still supported by Windows/MS??

Would Defender be an improvement over MSSE not the same? Over the years I would think it would be better than MSSE.

I came here to ask those in the know if this tweak is a valid way of enhancing Defender?

I know not to believe all you read, hence my question.

Your family's stories are interesting and thank you for sharing. I will not post such matter as I have exhausted question and answer.  However I misunderstood, I thought the forum would like meaningful dialogue.

So no problem just a misunderstanding.

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:46 PM

The article is two years old, addressing the "upcoming" Windows Creator update. From then to now I have never heard of Microsoft MAPS, positively or negatively. If it's been around it's a stealth feature not promoted by anyone.

I personally would stay away from it. Windows Defender does an excellent job of protecting my system. I see no need for enhancements. If it was deemed a good idea I believe Microsoft would enable it. No, I'm not a Microsoft fanboy but I do believe they are serious about protecting users from infections.

I also have Malwarebytes and I'm annoyed with them as they now turn off Windows Security (formerly Defender) because they think they are good enough to replace it I guess. I disagree. The combination og Windows Defender and MBAM has been great and I prefer it remain as that working combo so I re-enable Windows Security/Defender after MBAM is installed.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 05:29 PM

Had I noticed the date, I would have thought differently. The concept was enticing. I would not use many 3rd parties. MBAM has always been a program I rely upon.

Any Windows enhancement,if valid, would be worth looking into and I am sure it would be in an update.

Greed is so regressive and damaging. Companies want to grab all they can and more. MBAM use to be a great complement 

to Windows and still is but, with the changes you point out, consumers are being hurt./restricted. I have the free version of MBAM so to my knowledge there is no issue as I have real time protection with Defender.  

If I understand you, MBAM installed turns off Defender and more That would infuriate me and i am sure others are feeling the same way. Perhaps the free version is not affected as I have not seen a change in Windows security so far. I am glad this fact is posted so anyone thinking of buying MBAM might think twice. I have had the rug pulled out so many times I have battle scars. Let's hope enough feedback will get MBAM to reconsider. I don't know much about security but I would not feel good about Defender etc. being off and relying solely on MBAM; one or the other, I would take Defender.

This seems to be breach of contract. I wonder if Defender with an alternative such as SuperAntispyware would be feasible. 

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:01 PM

Nah, SuperAntiSpyware is not in the same league as MBAM. Just have to remember to enable Windows Security (Defender) and check it often as it seems to get turned off.

DefAVOpts.jpg

This does not turn on Realtime protection though. Now that MBAM is consider a real AV program, that stays off.

Edited by Ztruker, 14 December 2019 - 07:04 PM.

Rich

#7 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:10 PM

Peter,

What misunderstanding?  Did I say something that made you think I was saying it was wrong to post questions and have a dialogue?  That was not my intent so I apologize for whatever it was that sounds like that.

I'm still on windows 7 because... I'm to lazy and cheap to change.  When I got this computer in 2012, it had Windows 7 on it.  I suspect that if I get a new computer  it will have windows 10.  I believe Windows 7 is still supported for another month.  So I guess I should start making a plan as to what I'm going to do after that.

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:20 PM

End of Windows 7 support doesn't really mean all that much. Just no more updates. Since there are very few for Windows 7 now anyway you're not loosing a lot so staying with Windows 7 for another year of two is not a big deal, in my opinion.

Rich

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:59 AM

1- I cannot sign in to the post by Tom's link on my Windows mail. I am going to try again.

2-I guess I am speaking with two amigos at the same time.

3- No misunderstanding - all is well. When I sent the link about the new program which was supposed to enhance you asked what you were supposed to do. I thought it was obvious that I was asking for an opinion about that program. It got carried away. Peace! 

4- I think it is disgusting that you have to keep resetting MBAM. Let's hope they get it  together.

5-So updates are not that important. I always thought they increased security. When I had an older PC, as I did, I  updated although I did like 7. Now that I have this new one(my old died) I am running 10. Of course I am in the 2nd grade while the mods etc here are well past high school as an analogy with PC lore. That is why I have set a record for coming here for help after Google fails.

You possibly all have more than one PC. One being your main one which does run 10 and other(s) which run another OS. Of course I have no way of knowing that.

P.S. This time I signed in using Tom's link. :) 

Edited by Peter1, 15 December 2019 - 08:00 AM.