Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Lenovo ideapad 110 running very slow

Slow computer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 wd4ngi

wd4ngi

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 08:14 AM

My Lenovo ideapad 110 laptop is running way too slow.  Sometimes it gets locked up and I have to turn it off with the power button.  Something must be running in the background that I am unaware of.  I was able to run the Trend Micro Online Housecall and it showed a clean scan.  Can someone help me by suggesting some things to try?  Here is "About My Computer" info:

Ideapad 110-15ISK

Device name: LAPTOP-IL7UPLLL

Processor: Intel Core i3-6100U @ 2.30Ghz

Installed RAM: 8GB

64-bit OS x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home version 1809 installed on 4/5/2019

Respectfully,

Thomas

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:50 PM

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Edited by PhillPower2, 02 November 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#3 wd4ngi

wd4ngi

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:10 PM

PhillPower2,

Thank you for your prompt attention to my post.  I have done as you have suggested and downloaded and installed "speccy". I ran it and now have a snapshot published to the web at the followoing URL:

http://speccy.pirifo...o6JXRAtQR7uKykC

Hope this sheds some light for you to start the troubleshooting process.

Thanks,

Thomas

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 05:27 AM

Only seeing two things of note in the Speccy report, there are two installations of McAfee installed and Windows is out of date.

Antivirus
Windows Defender
Antivirus: Disabled
Virus Signature Database: Up to date
McAfee VirusScan
McAfee VirusScan

Not Installed
10/16/2019 2019-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4519338)
Installation Status: Failed

If there are two versions of McAfee installed they could be fighting for resources which could explain the notebooks poor performance, in addition to this it looks like the two versions of McAfee have cancelled each other out which is bad not only for it affecting the notebooks performance but it has also left you with no AV protection at all  :(

In addition to the above, Windows is shown to have failed to be able to update and this again could be as a result of McAfee causing problems.

Couple of questions if I may;

What McAfee AV have you knowingly installed on this computer and is McAfee a free/trial version or have you paid a fee for it.

#5 wd4ngi

wd4ngi

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 November 2019 - 03:32 AM

I paid for it.  Not sure which one is which. One came with the computer, a free one.  Do you suggest I uninstall both and re-install the paid for version?  I turned off automatic windows updates while you help me troubleshoot this.

Thanks,

Thomas

#6 wd4ngi

wd4ngi

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 04:39 PM

I am off of work for a couple of days. I have not made any changes to my computer. I have some time to try what you suggest.

Edited by wd4ngi, 05 November 2019 - 04:40 PM.

#7 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:57 AM

It is important that you re enable Windows updates asap, an out of date Windows is leaving the door open for bad guys to infect your computer, the priority is to get Windows up to date and while the computer has a fully up to date AV program running, Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 come with an improved Windows Defender, it offers the same real-time anti-virus/anti-malware protection as Microsoft Security Essentials so use that while we sort out your computer.

To the task at hand;

If any AV product that you have is a paid for version you should always make sure that you have a copy of the product key kept somewhere safe just in case you ever wish to reinstall it.

Get rid of all traces of McAfee from the computer using the McAfee product removal tool  (MCPR) here

Once any other AV has been correctly uninstalled, check to see if Windows Defender has auto enabled and allow it to update and carry out a full scan of your computer. 

Post back with an update for us once the above has been done.

#8 wd4ngi

wd4ngi

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:49 PM

I have gotten rid of both McAfee products with the MCPR tool.
I got windows updated and turned on auto updates.
Windows Security Firewall is on and the virus defs are current as of today.
I have scanned for viruses with the Windows Defender and have a clean computer.

Here is a new scan of Speccy:

http://speccy.pirifo...mJbwfk5gUa3vRGV

#9 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 11:48 AM

How is the computer behaving since you made the suggested changes?

Just a fyi, Windows is not fully up to date, you still have 1809 while we are up to 1903 Get the Windows 10 May 2019 Update

#10 wd4ngi

wd4ngi

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 03:30 PM

I installed the latest windows 10 as you suggested.  Here is a snapshot of of speccy:

http://speccy.pirifo...rs5sEdaq265z6EK

It takes 45 seconds for my computer to come up when I hit power button.  I think that is pretty good!

I will not have time to check out my programs and speed/sluggishness until I get off of night shift  Tuesday morning.  What are some things you recommend I try to speed this computer up?  Also, is windows defender good enough for a virus protection platform or do you suggest I reactivate Mcafee?  I am sort of shy of it now.

Thanks

#11 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 05:29 AM

There is no miraculous way of improving a computers performance, good housekeeping is all that is needed, uninstall unused programs (correctly) empty the recycle bin regular etc.

I haven't used anything but Windows Defender and Firewall since Windows 8 and have no plans on changing it as both still do me well with Windows 10.

Entirely your choice regarding McAfee, how long is left on the licence before renewal.

You are welcome btw  :)

#12 wd4ngi

wd4ngi

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 01:50 PM

Thank you for all of your help Phill.  The owner of the computer says it has not ran this fast since he purchased it!  Sorry for long delay in getting back to you sir as I have been working a lot of overtime.  So you may close this topic now Phill.  Thanks again for all you help.  Have a nice Thanksgiving!

:banana:

#13 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:58 PM

You are welcome Thomas  :) glad we could help and thank you for the follow up  :thumbup: