I have read conflicting reports about OneNote and OCR. I have Windows 10 1903 and have tried to solve why OCR is not functioning with the desktop app. I know here is an OCR in the store but the reviews are poor.
I have MS Home and Student 2019 which is a download. I don't know if that affects this inability for OCR to function.
Does anyone have any information that could help me. I have many pages I need OCR for that would save a lot of typing. I have tried alternatives like Free OCR and Simple OCR but hey require a lot of editing. I cannot spend for Abby or Nuance either.
TY
>>I just read that One Note with windows 10 does not support OCR
Microsoft OneNote can also be used as an OCR despite its functionality as a note keeper.
There is an option named ‘Copy text from picture’ that allows you to extract text from images.
Its simplicity is what makes it unique; just insert the picture to OneNote, then right-click on the picture and choose ‘Copy text from picture’ and OneNote will do the rest.
It saves the texts to a clipboard, then you can paste the text into Microsoft Word or any other program of your choice.
However, it doesn’t support tables and columns.
Update: The latest iteration of OneNote that comes with Windows 10 doesn’t have OCR capabilities. On the other hand, the OneNote that’s the part of the Office suite still can be used as an OCR tool.
If you have Student 2019, OneNote should still be OCR capable.
I a trying to stay offline as much as possible a the contents of the pages are sensitive.
I will keep Abby Free in mind but for now, although desktop MS OneNote does not support it, I do have 2019 Office Home and Student 2019 which awkwardly does appear after searching. I now have to learn how to do it. What catches me is after extracting then pasting into OneNote, I don't know what to select from the right click as they vary. Then do I directly paste it into Word or perform another step? Are you familiar with it?
I do not have any right click options to make this work. I pasted a JPG into OneNote. I also used snip and sketch to paste an article into OneNote. I right clicked and each time I get the options you see.Whatever I paste into Word does not work. I am using the OneNote from MS Home and Student 2019.
Maybe there is something wrong with the procedure I am using but I am glad you suggested alternatives.
I have read if you have office 2019 you can use OCR but my MS Office Home and Student 2019 has OneNote but I think it is not the same as Office. That could be the problem.How do I download 2016 as they say I should be able to if I have 2019.
Thank you for the offline offer but I am trying to have OCR without taking up too much disc space.
I only use Word and OCR via OneNote.
I have 2019 which I bought.
I then downloaded MS Office 16 although I thought I was just getting OneNote. I forgot the download site now. I cannot find the sizes of 2019 and 2016 on my PC or online.
I thought I Googled 'OneNote free' and downloaded just that, but my PC shows both Office 2019 and Office 2016.
If I could get the size of each,16 + 19, I could tell how much space is consumed and also if I have the entire 2016 suite or just the OneNote I thought I was downloading.
Do you delete everything after you download it? I save almost everything I download if it's a program of some kind. I have a couple 2TB drives where I store stuff.