Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

OneNote and OCR

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:47 AM

I have read conflicting reports about OneNote and OCR. I have Windows 10 1903 and have tried to solve why OCR is not functioning with the desktop app. I know here is an OCR in the store but the reviews are poor.

I have MS Home and Student 2019 which is a download. I don't know if that affects this inability for OCR to function. 

Does anyone have any information that could help me. I have many pages I need OCR for that would save a lot of typing. I have tried alternatives like Free OCR and Simple OCR but hey require a lot of editing. I cannot spend for Abby or Nuance either.

TY

>>I just read that One Note with windows 10 does not support OCR

Edited by Peter1, 03 October 2019 - 08:53 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 03 October 2019 - 07:31 PM

Peter, what about Abby Fine Reader Online? It's free as opposed to the offline version.Al

so read this:

Microsoft OneNote can also be used as an OCR despite its functionality as a note keeper.

There is an option named ‘Copy text from picture’ that allows you to extract text from images.

Its simplicity is what makes it unique; just insert the picture to OneNote, then right-click on the picture and choose ‘Copy text from picture’ and OneNote will do the rest.

It saves the texts to a clipboard, then you can paste the text into Microsoft Word or any other program of your choice.

However, it doesn’t support tables and columns.

Update: The latest iteration of OneNote that comes with Windows 10 doesn’t have OCR capabilities. On the other hand, the OneNote that’s the part of the Office suite still can be used as an OCR tool.

If you have Student 2019, OneNote should still be OCR capable.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:44 AM

I a trying to stay offline as much as possible a the contents of the pages are sensitive.

I will keep Abby Free in mind but for now, although desktop MS OneNote does not support it, I do have 2019 Office Home and Student 2019 which awkwardly does appear after searching. I now have to learn how to do it. What catches me is after extracting then pasting into OneNote, I don't know what to select from the right click as they vary. Then do I directly paste it into Word or perform another step? Are you familiar with it?

Thank you or you help.

#4 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 06:44 AM

Rich

I do not have any right click options to make this work. I pasted a JPG into OneNote. I also used snip and sketch to paste an article into OneNote. I right clicked and each time I get the options you see.Whatever I paste into Word does not work. I am using the OneNote from MS Home and Student 2019.

Maybe there is something wrong with the procedure I am using but I am glad you suggested alternatives.

I have read if you have office 2019 you can use OCR but my MS Office Home and Student 2019 has OneNote but I think it is not the same as Office. That could be the problem.How do I download 2016 as they say I should be able to if I have 2019.

Attached Thumbnails

• 3.png

Edited by Peter1, 04 October 2019 - 07:03 AM.

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:24 AM

Success!! I downloaded 2016 and it works. I hope being 2016 security is not compromised.
Thank you so much for your support and time.

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:57 PM

I tried it with 2007 and it works fine. Glad you got it working with 2016.

It's pretty slick and accurate.

Rich

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:16 AM

I have  2010's code. Could I still use that if I did not have 2019? I thew out the disc but perhaps could download it.

It is a moot point and off topic, I realize.

Edited by Peter1, 05 October 2019 - 07:21 AM.

#8 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

I think you can get 2010 from here: Download Earlier Versions of Office

Rich

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:44 AM

Thank you for the offline offer but I am trying to have OCR without taking up too much disc space.

I only use Word and OCR via OneNote.

I have 2019 which I bought.

I then downloaded MS Office 16 although I thought I was just getting OneNote. I forgot the download site now. I cannot find  the sizes of 2019 and 2016 on my PC or online.

I thought I Googled 'OneNote free' and downloaded just that, but my PC shows both Office 2019 and Office 2016.

If I could get the size of each,16 + 19, I could tell how much space is consumed and also if I have the entire 2016 suite or just the OneNote I thought I was downloading.

Do you know how to find the size of each?

#10 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:16 PM

Can't you look at what you downloaded?

Rich

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:57 PM

If you mean before the download I foolishly did not look. Now as I explained above it would be of use. My bad.

#12 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:55 PM

Do you delete everything after you download it? I save almost everything I download if it's a program of some kind. I have a couple 2TB drives where I store stuff.

Rich

#13 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:56 AM

I keep UEFI settings photos, family etc photos, Macrium images, and passwords in a couple of external drives.

I didn't think there was anything of the Office download to keep.

I thought the size would be in "Programs and Features" like most other entries.

I guess whether I find the size is a moot point b/c although MS Office downloads take a couple of GB's I have enough size on my hard drive (500 GB's).

It is inefficient to say the least that I have MS 16 on my PC just to have OCR, when I already have 19 but I do need OCR.

Sharon will avail herself of  tunes for my flash drive for the car today as I did not think you would mind my spouse sharing that gift.

#14 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

First keeping with the thread, I finally decided not to have two suites in my machine so removed 2016 and kept 2019

Then I installed Chrome's extension copy fish to perform OCR which I really like.

Second, Sharon thanks you for the many fav's she obtained today..

#15 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:24 PM

Glad you have a working resolution. Tell Sharon she is welcome.

Rich