Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

USB TP-Link Wi-Fi Adapter Mystery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tech2

Tech2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:23 PM

I am using a USB TP-Link Wi-fi adapter on my Dell 380 with Windows 7 Ultimate. After bringing up my browser I noticed I could not get any web-site to load. When I checked the tool bar it indicated I had connection. I then got off my browser and saw that my tool bar indicator showed no connection. I then ran the Windows Trouble Shoot Tool which indicated I needed to plug in a Wi-Fi adapter. Assuming my adapter had gone bad, I brought up my control panel to uninstall the TP-Link adapter driver and install a different adapter. To my dismay, the TP-Link driver was totally gone from my list of programs. So, I re-installed  the TP-Link drivers and all is working fine.

Does anyone know how a driver can automatically be deleted from a machine. I thought this was impossible.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:17 AM

No, Not impossible.

It does happen from time to time...

Glad you got it fixed by reinstalling the driver.

:thumbup:

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Tech2

Tech2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

Thanks Paws, I thought I was losing it :wall:

#4 Digerati

Digerati

Built, broke, fixed, learned.

• Tech Team
  • 3,717 posts
  • MVP

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:04 AM

To my dismay, the TP-Link driver was totally gone from my list of programs. So, I re-installed  the TP-Link drivers and all is working fine.

I am glad you got it resolved but next time a piece of hardware suddenly disappears, before resorting to re-installing drivers, try a simple reboot first. That often solves everything. And if not, I recommend a "cold" reboot. By cold, I mean to shutdown Windows and your computer in the normal way, then unplug the power supply from the wall (or, if your PSU has one, flip the master power switch on the back of the PSU to Off (0)). Wait about 15 seconds then restore power and boot normally.

During boot, Windows looks for new hardware and installs the applicable drivers, if available. The idea is Windows would discover that adapter and re-install the drivers on its own.  In your case, it is not likely the driver was erased from the boot drive. It is just more likely some hiccup caused Windows to temporarily lose track of it.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gif Windows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

#5 Tech2

Tech2

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:42 PM

Thanks Digerati, I'll keep your suggestions in mind - I never had this happen before so I was puzzled. :D

#6 trickster

trickster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:44 AM

When I had such problem (slightly different, still had internet connection issue) with kodi, I simply found some free vpn for kodi and it worked. 

Edited by trickster, 10 October 2019 - 09:24 AM.