This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Netbook connection

13 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Yes I have tried using the Ethernet port.

 

Furthest back system restore goes is 5th June which is when I started getting the issue, I probably did a system restore at that point.

Yes I have tried using the Ethernet port.

 

 

And what happened?

 

I suggest that you use that restore point and go from there.

Tried system restore and no change.

 

I just tried the Ethernet and that connected to the web,  although not to some websites, it flagged possible Firewall blocking so didnt want to start messing with that part.

Update.

Still not connecting with wi-fi, I did however get an IT guy to go over everything remotely, he checked everything and all was ok in terms of the set up information but found something to do with xp that was not allowing the final part of the connection.  He did do some `stuff` that allowed a wi-fi connection dedicated to this router, BUT as I use this abroad that would not sort my issue (as only used on hols) as I need to connect to other wi-fi's

 

He did try some xp patches but so far still not working.

Apologies for the delay getting back to you scudo, I`m not normally around on Monday and Tuesday due to other commitments I`m afraid  :(

 

He did do some `stuff` that allowed a wi-fi connection dedicated to this router,

 

 

He did try some xp patches but so far still not working.

 

 

Bit confused by the above as you mention it working but then say it is still not working.

 

Can you access the internet on the notebook at the moment either by LAN or WiFi.

I can by using the Ethernet cable connect.

I dont know exactly what he did but he changed some stuff that allowed it to connect to wi-fi but dedicated to my router, the problem with that was when I go abroad it probably wouldnt connect to other wi-fi's.

 

This may explain some of it for you but its double dutch to me.

 

Quote:

"So this is not a WEP/WPA issue. WinXP was correctly identifying WPA, and actually connected without any difficulty.

What it does have is a DHCP problem after having authenticated on the wifi. If I manually assign an IP in the correct subnet, then it works ok. However that is not a useable solution for the use case required.

The router configuration and DHCP setup is fine (and other wifi devices have connected and DHCPed ok)

This could be related to the issues addressed in KB953761 (DHCP options not recognised, when sever includes option 43). However that hotfix does not seem to have done it initially at least, although I am currently clarifying an issue on that."

Using the LAN connection can you see if you are able to run Speccy and either post the url or save and attach the report as a txt file, see info below;

 

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here, this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

 

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

  1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

 

If you need to save the results as a txt file can you please edit out your Windows product key before uploading the information here.

You didn`t delete your Windows product key as was suggested scudo.

 

We can see three WiFi connections but only one with what looks like a proper Virgin media SSID, this is the first one on the list.

 

Noticed that you have Java installed, like XP this is a security risk and if you are going to keep it you should at least have the latest compatible version and disable it when it is not being used, see info here

 

Something for you to try if you can, see if the notebook will connect to an open wireless network in a library or cafe etc or alternatively ask a friend or family member if you can try connecting to their wireless network.

I deleted ….Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  I thought that was the key. My mistake I changed it but maybe not saved it.

have changed it now.

 

I am waiting on a neighbour returning this weekend who I think has wi-fi they should let me test it.

 

I think 2 of the connections are probably neighbours wi-fi

Update:

> Connected using a neighbours who is using Sky, it connected ok but for
> some reason not to all websites.(possibly my outlook express outdated)
> It connected to a Tukish forum and also to google but when I try from
> google to a website it doesnt link to it.
> Also wouldn't connect to BBC news.
>
> But signal picked up and connected.

Your update confirms that it is not hardware related so an unsupported OS and/or AV protection are looking most likely.

 

 

Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.

Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:

  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs

Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI