This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Lap won't restore to a save point

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Now the boot sequence goes like this

 
1 in the upper left hand corner checking media
 
2 then another display but is far to rapid to read
 
3 no boot device found press any key to reboot
 
4 recursive 1-3.

 

 

 

What boot sequence is this,is it before Windows begins to load, if yes;

 

Are you able to get into the BIOS, if yes,

 

Is the HDD detected and selected as the first boot device, please note that if the drive is detected it will be identified by something like ST for a Seagate and WD for Western Digital, if it just says SATA no HDD is being detected. 

 

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the notebook and let us know if you have a Windows 7 DVD or USB thumb drive.

I am unable to get to boot seqquence, recursive as my last post, it was supposed to be HHD, CD(?)

I don't know how to get to the BIOS from here see recursive last post.  That is all the is available Now I can push F12 and  get Boot Manager, but that shows.

UEF1 BOOT Other options One of which is enter Setup(F2 choice)

Under BOOT of Setup

Win 8 Fast Boot—Enabled

USB Hot Key Support–Disabled

Secure Boot–Enabled

Load Legacy Option Rom–Disabled

Boot List Option–UEFI

Secure Boot Mode–tandard

Restore Factory Defaults

Delete all Security Boot Keys

Add Boot Option

Delet boot option

View boot option properties(both of these lower two are not selectable currently.

 

ETA:  Alienware M17  Not sure if Win 7 DVD still in captivity, no USB bootable device.

I finally found a Win 7 SP1 disk, inserted it and got the following error/information annoucement 

UEF I DVD1 PATH1 has been blocked by the current security

 

Changed the Boot to UEF I DVD1 PATH1

Still no bootable devices.

Changed secure boot to disabled

Load Legacy Option ROM still disabled

Finally Win booted, but got hung somewhere(after loading files and Win splash screen displayed-Starting Win)

Shut down lap, turned on

Received same message no boot device found press any key to reboot

Win again hung with the Starting Win splash displayed.

Apologies for the delay getting back to you,work has kept me busy elsewhere  :(

 

What you describe sounds like the HDD/SSD has failed, I asked in my reply #6 "Is the HDD detected" below is my canned explanation regarding checking if a storage device is detected by the BIOS.

 

Can I ask how the HDD is identified in the BIOS, a Seagate HDD for example will be listed something like ST1000DM004 and a Western Digital along the lines of WD10JPLX other brands will have similar identification codes, only when such an ID code is present is a HDD actually detected and an entry simply listed as SATA HDD means that the BIOS will and has looked for a HDD in that particular boot sequence but no HDD was detected. 

 

 

Windows 7 being the OS had me puzzled after reading your reply #11 as what you described is associated with newer computers that are running versions of Windows such as 8/8.1 and Windows 10 that have UEFI BIOS as opposed to the older legacy BIOS associated with Windows 7 and other earlier versions of Windows, the brand and model name and number of the computer has me even more puzzled as the Alienware m17 is a new computer that ships with Windows 10 pre installed and not the soon to be retired Windows 7, Alienware m17 specs here

 

Alienware M17  Not sure if Win 7 DVD still in captivity, 

 

 

Can I ask how Windows 7 came to be installed on the computer, reason I ask is because since the advent of UEFI BIOS the Windows product key is stored in the BIOS so that the end user never needs to manually re enter the product key should they need to do a clean install of Windows, crux of it is is that a Windows 10 product key stored in the BIOS is not going to correspond with Windows 7.

OK, after two long days attempting to get the lap to boot from the CD, which all failed, I was able to go back into the set up and changed Boot –"something" I am so angry at this time, I don't remember.  Anyway after changing that the lap booted from the HDD.  No damage to the HDD, currently just before I got the notice of a posting I'm back to the clean boot sequence.

Step one disabled all the service

Step two(this is where the lap went into trouble before is now underway, I had to quite reading your(MS) instructions. to come and post.

 

ETA1: In safe mode running option 2 scan currently of the tweaking program.

 

ETA2:In answer to your questions concerning the M17x, Lap is probably ten years old, so Win 7 came installed on the lap.

I have updated the bios probably 1-2 years ago and I'm not sure how to check version while the scan is running.

:In answer to your questions concerning the M17x, 

 

 

The x is what threw me as you previously post Alienware M17 which was only released this year.

 

Will wait on the outcome of the AIO repair tool for now but will at some point provide you with the steps to get some info on the health of the storage device.

I had to step out for a bit, but none of the three checks revealed any problems.  Still in safe mode waiting a restart currently.

Restart as you would normally and check for a repair log that should have been generated when you ran the AIO repair tool, upload that for us along with a screenshot (possibly two) of CrystalDisk info.

 

Download and run CrystalDisk info standard edition from here

 

Run the program, grab any screenshots and attach to your next reply for us.

 

To capture and post a screenshot;

 

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start…all programs…accessories…paint….left click in the white area …press CTRL + V…click on file…click on save…save it to your desktop…name it something related to the screen your capturing… BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG …otherwise it may be to big to upload… then after typing in any response you have… click on browse…desktop…find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button…then on the lower left…after it says upload successful…click on add reply like you normally would.
 

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Everything looks good with the HDD but was there not also a repair log for Windows.

 

Any change since running the repair tool.

If a windows repair log was in existence where would it be located except /tweaking.com/windows repair(all in one/logs?

 

I haven't tried restoring to a previous save point and now there is one more in the registry.  Oh well…

I haven't tried creating a restore point as it was my desire to restore to an older one and perhaps back to settings that have been overwritten.

I haven't tried restoring to a previous save point and now there is one more in the registry.

 

 

Forgive me but I am somewhat confused, you said in your reply #3 that you could not create a new system restore point, in your reply #26 you mention that a new system restore point had been created and above you say that you have not tried creating a restore point as you would like to to restore to an older one and perhaps back to settings that have been overwritten.

 

Not sure how you are going to be able to see if any restore point issue/s have been resolved without trying to either use or manually create one.

No same issue with an update added/changed on Thursday of this week.  I think if the settings are changed to previous to the incident I mentioned the controller will function again, but lets get the restore working first.

Thanks

This was in reference to restoring to a previous save point, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Yes a win update created a save point Tues or Wed, but that was automatic, I didn't attempt nor create a save point, my whole issue was restoring to a previous save point.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI