This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Lap won't restore to a save point

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Last week I tried recovering to a save point.   I tried this morning with same result.  Any suggestions on a recovery?

The reason that I would love to do this is a game controller Dual Shock 3, was configured to run through the charging cable.  Not sure what happened but that quit work.  I ran MotionJoy that had been downloaded many years ago, but that failed because it wanted me to install flash and net4(?).  I did neither, and searched for another app that didn't have any baggage.  I thought I found it with BetterDS3 app. But that wasn't successful in configuring the controller to work through the wire.  Please don't tell me that it is supposed to work wirelessly, I know that but it can be configured to work through the charging cable.  The controller has been working through the charging cable for more than 4 years.

Anyway the restore was intended to go back to  a previous save where the controller worked through the charging cable.  But that hasn't been successful as the attachment indicates.  Any help toward resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

 

 

Can`t help you with the game controller but may be able to help with the Windows issue/s.

 

Are you still able to create new restore points.

No same issue with an update added/changed on Thursday of this week.  I think if the settings are changed to previous to the incident I mentioned the controller will function again, but lets get the restore working first.

Thanks

Not sure what version of Windows you are running so cannot provide the exact steps but have you checked that system restore points are enabled and how much space on the HDD/SSD has been allocated to them.

 

Can I ask how much free storage space is available on the HDD and what the actual storage capacity of the drive is, being low on free storage space is something that causes problems with restore points.

I should have indicated that I am using Win 7 on that machine.  Properties, 921 Gb total, 639 Gb free currently.

No problem  :thumbup:

 

Lack of free storage space is clearly not the problem, the following will hopefully get things sorted for you.

 

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair tool from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

In the clean boot procedure second part "Now there is one more location to configure. The Windows Task Scheduler also has startup items that we need to disable."

 

There are MS services listed in the startup.  I have disabled all but those.  Do you really want me to disable those also?  The reason is I haven't done this procedure ever.

Do you really want me to disable those also? 

 

 

Not me that provides the instructions, I only follow them as and when I need to.

 

As long as you ticked the Hide all Microsoft services box at the beginning you should be fine but I understand your concern because we have not been able to create a new system restore point first, air on the side of caution if you like and as said previously as long as you ticked the Hide all Microsoft services box at the beginning you could try running the repair tool without disabling the MS services listed in the startup.

Again it is the second part of the instructions you linked, "Now there is one more location to configure. The Windows Task Scheduler also has startup items that we need to disable."  That is where there are several more MS processes that are initiated at startup. 

I understand you are not saying this just linking, but the fact remain there are several items.

Am aware of that and the reason why I said,  try running the repair tool without disabling the MS services listed in the startup.

Well in a bit of a pickle now the Windows repair kit, I am supposed to enter in safe mode, Now the boot sequence goes like this

1 in the upper left hand corner checking media

2 then another display but is far to rapid to read

3 no boot device found press any key to reboot

4 recursive 1-3.

 

Now what?  I have pressed F8 during the sequence but never get to the old option menu to boot in safe mode.

I have pressed F8 during the sequence but never get to the old option menu to boot in safe mode.

 

 

Do you happen to have a USB keyboard that you can hook up to the notebook.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI