Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Simple Basic Raw

Best Answer wesi , 28 January 2019 - 11:12 AM

Moments ago I started to do what you directed. Halfway realized the ext hdd was not connected.Soswitched it on.When the disk letter came up it was different. I had at one time used a portable utilitywhich saw the disk . I had,in desperation,asked it fo... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

using Lenevo K450  windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.

The external verbatim hddd now shows as Drive F   Simple  Basic  Raw.

Windows says unable to complete format.

Data is not important.Luckily I copied the entire disk to another ext. hdd a few days ago.

I just want to be able to use it.NTFS. There is physically nothing wrong. Under Linux it worked fine.Before I tried format under win.

What shall I do? Please help.

PS: This probably happened because I shut it before the safely remove routine. My fault.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

Hello wesi,

We could do with some additional info; with the external HDD hooked up to the computer, open Disk Manager and take an expanded screenshot for us;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

#3 wesi

wesi

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:12 AM   Best Answer

Moments ago I started to do what you directed. Halfway realized the ext hdd was not connected.So

switched it on.When the disk letter came up it was different. I had at one time used a portable utility

which saw the disk . I had,in desperation,asked it format disk NTFS. It did.When I then tried win7 it

still said simple basic raw.

Because the letter was different,I clicked on it. It opened the disk and said folder empty.Not believing

it was working,I copied a small file from C  to F. It worked!!!!!!

I really appreciate the time and effort you gave me. What shall I do now?

Thank you :clap: :clap:

• PhillPower2 likes this

#4 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:32 AM

You are welcome wesi  :)

If you have any further problem/s, please attach the expanded screenshot as explained above  :thumbup: