This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Not a fan of my Macbook, selling to go back to windows - tax question?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello :)

 

I bought a MacBook Pro about 6 months back to use for work and OSX just isn't my thing. I'm going to be selling it and going to something like the new XPS15. However I was wondering - I was given some accessories from a friend who also made the same decision - or mistake - as I did and gave me some dongles and a lovely case. Looking at sale prices, including the accessories with the going price of MBPs right now I might end up in profit - I was wondering if I'd have to pay tax on that? This tax calculator puts it at small amounts but I am self-employed and don't want HMRC poking around for undeclared income. Anyone else done something like this and can share their experience? :)

 

Cheers!

Hi and welcome to our forums,

:welcome:

 

For tax advice it might be better to seek guidance from your accountant, or contact HMRC via one of their help lines.

Regards

paws

Checked the link you added and it's a UK site… so pardon me, I don't have anything to advise because I live in the US. But for things like this, better to ask actual people in the tax department.

Hello :)

 

I bought a MacBook Pro about 6 months back……

This tax calculator puts it at small amounts but I am self-employed and don't want HMRC poking around for undeclared income. Anyone else done something like this and can share their experience? :)

 

Hi Barton Ted,

Always glad to hear from you and thanks for your post.

 

The post from Wisesol (extract above) referenced the UK tax authorities tax calculator…

 

HMRC stands for " Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs" which is the Government department in the UK responsible for UK taxation. They run extensive telephone help lines in the UK and are very approachable and of course the information they supply is good. That's one of the main reasons why I suggested that he contact them.

 

So your thoughts and mine are on the same wavelength, :thumbup:  in suggesting that maybe its better for him to ask the people in the tax department ( HMRC)

 

Hello :)

 

I bought a MacBook Pro about 6 months back……

This tax calculator puts it at small amounts but I am self-employed and don't want HMRC poking around for undeclared income. Anyone else done something like this and can share their experience? :)

 

Hi Barton Ted,

Always glad to hear from you and thanks for your post.

 

The post from Wisesol (extract above) referenced the UK tax authorities tax calculator…

 

HMRC stands for " Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs" which is the Government department in the UK responsible for UK taxation. They run extensive telephone help lines in the UK and are very approachable and of course the information they supply is good. That's one of the main reasons why I suggested that he contact them.

 

So your thoughts and mine are on the same wavelength, :thumbup:  in suggesting that maybe its better for him to ask the people in the tax department ( HMRC)

 

Hey Paws,

Thanks for explaining that bit to me. That seems like the best option for OP.  :thumbup:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI