This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

HTTP Error 404 ?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am unable to load any website pages from a State Government site.  I have confirmed through multiple other people that it is not an HTTP Error 404 at the website because they can all navigate there.  Therefore, I presume it is something within my computer.  Windows 7 running Firefox v.  60.0.1 (64-bit).  Also, I can't navigate to this site on Opera, IE, TOR or other web programs.

 

Thanks for your consideration in advance,

 

Bud

 

 

Attachments:

Hmm, I too am able to access that site just fine.

 

Did you try different government sites - for example, your DFAS.mil account? Or another state's SOS site: http://www.sos.ne.gov/dyindex.html?

 

Have you scanned for malware? Have you rebooted? Are there other computer's on your network and if so, can they access that site?

Well, Digerati, I could access http://www.sos.ne.gov/dyindex.html.   I have rebooted and scanned with a variety of malware/virus programs, all to no avail.

 

Ztruker, I had been able to load that site for quite a while, then suddenly I couldn't.  I did nothing obviously that might have affected my system.  No Update of Win7, no software installations.

 

Usually, you will get this error if the site is temporarily down for maintenance or no longer operating.  Now, I think it must be a problem at my end, but I can't understand what that might be.

 

By the way guys, thanks for responding.

 

I have a Firefox Add-On called "HTTPS Everywhere" that always modifies the URL to include the "s".  So, I disabled it and typed the URL without "s".

 

It automatically inserts the "s" anyway (perhaps a default at the .gov site).  I still could not shake that HTTP Error 404!

 

If this problem is at the SOS.MS.GOV site, why does it not affect tens of thousands of others?

If I add the s it doesn't work for me. Why do you add the s? Not all sites run under secure socket protocols for all pages and I suspect their main page does not. Perhaps as you delve further into the site it will switch to https as needed?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI