This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Ref. from malware forum / Win7 won't start, restore points deleted

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The Reallocated sectors count warning could have been the result of not having enough free storage space on the HDD so for now I would do the following;

 

Back up and keep backing up on a regular basis your most important data.

Make sure that Windows is fully up to date.

Monitor the Reallocated sectors count to see if it changes at all.

Make sure that you have your Windows 7 product key in case the HDD fails and you need to replace the HDD and do a clean install of Windows etc.

If you do not have Windows 7 media download it from here (you will need your product key for this).

Save all of your drivers to a USB thumb drive.

 

Lets see what is loading on boot using AutoRuns;

 

Download then run AutoRuns, see here  

 

 

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

 

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

 

3: Click on the Options tab and then put a tick against the top three options.

 

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

 

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

 

6: Attach to your next reply.

 

 

 

Tutorial here

AutoRuns is not too bad but there are a few things that could be disabled so that they do not load on boot, the preferences are yours really but the likes of ACDaemon, Adobe, AgentRansack, CCleaner, Cyberlink, Dropbox and anything Apple etc related can be safely disabled in AutoRuns, this will speed up your boot times. the secret is to just have Windows, your drivers and security protection load on boot, anything else can be done manually.

 

NB: I noticed that you use Rapport, I do myself but only enable it when doing any online banking, this because it caused me no end of Chrome trouble not too long back, not suggesting that you do the same in case you ever forget that it is disabled and only mentioning it because I had browser trouble caused by the software, btw, FF has also had issues with it, one example here and a rather stinging opinion of Rapport here

Yikes. Rapport is sketchy. My bank requires me to use it, but I think I'll follow your method. I can't log into my bank without it, but I don't need any software tracking my keystrokes.

 

I followed your advice on Autoruns. What next?

Seems fine right now. A little laggy running browser scripts or scrolling long documents. But Juliet says that's probably due to my security software.

 

Guess I should restart to test the changes I made in Autorun.

 

The only other issue is my CD/DVD drive doesn't recognize writable media, but I figure that's a consequence of age.

K, post back after the restart.

 

The only other issue is my CD/DVD drive doesn't recognize writable media,

 

 

If you mean blank disks the laser on the drive could be bad, will take a look for you but you will need to start a new thread as it is off topic in relation to this thread.

Just restarted. Seems to be running fine. I'll start that other thread now.

 

Great stuff, yourself and Juliet did the hard work over on malware and I only polished the edges  -_-

 

Off to check your other thread now.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI