This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Slow computer [Solved]

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I am posting because I was working on this with Ken.  The top was closed.  it is my wife's computer so I cannot always use it so did not post in time.  Sorry.  Here is FRST file.  When I ran this it closed my browser (Google) and then I went to the history and it was not there.  Is there an easy way to recover the history without clicking each entry separately?  Thanks for thehelp.GB

 

 
Result of scheduled files to move (Boot Mode: Normal) (Date&Time: 23-07-2017 13:43:38)
 
==> ATTENTION: System is not rebooted.
"C:\Windows\system32\GroupPolicy\Machine" => Could not move
 
==== End of Fixlog 13:44:08 ====
 
aswMBR version 1.0.1.2252 Copyright© 2014 AVAST Software
Run date: 2017-07-10 23:57:20
—————————–
23:57:20.124    OS Version: Windows x64 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
23:57:20.125    Number of processors: 2 586 0xF0B
23:57:20.180    ComputerName: USER-PC  UserName: USER
23:57:34.098    Initialize success
23:57:35.170    VM: initialized successfully
23:57:35.172    VM: Intel CPU BiosDisabled 
00:07:22.878    AVAST engine defs: 17030301
01:36:33.623    The log file has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\USER\Desktop\aswMBR.txt"
 
 
aswMBR version 1.0.1.2252 Copyright© 2014 AVAST Software
Run date: 2017-07-10 23:57:20
—————————–
23:57:20.124    OS Version: Windows x64 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
23:57:20.125    Number of processors: 2 586 0xF0B
23:57:20.180    ComputerName: USER-PC  UserName: USER
23:57:34.098    Initialize success
23:57:35.170    VM: initialized successfully
23:57:35.172    VM: Intel CPU BiosDisabled 
00:07:22.878    AVAST engine defs: 17030301
01:36:33.623    The log file has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\USER\Desktop\aswMBR.txt"
01:39:56.004    The log file has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\USER\Desktop\aswMBR.txt"
 
 
aswMBR version 1.0.1.2252 Copyright© 2014 AVAST Software
Run date: 2017-07-23 13:51:45
—————————–
13:51:45.601    OS Version: Windows x64 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
13:51:45.602    Number of processors: 2 586 0xF0B
13:51:45.614    ComputerName: USER-PC  UserName: USER
13:51:50.398    Initialize success
13:51:51.620    VM: initialized successfully
13:51:51.622    VM: Intel CPU BiosDisabled 
14:00:02.017    AVAST engine defs: 17030301
14:02:16.846    The log file has been saved successfully to "C

. 

Morning

 

Sorry about closing your thread but its our policy if no reply in 3 days we close it and I gave you 4. Next time if your going to be away just give me a heads up and I will keep it open for you.

 

As far as your History, our tools clean them out, just start going to the sites you frequent and build up your history again. When you get to the site or sites you like just Bookmark them and then you will always have them

 

How is your system running now, any better ?

Ken

 

I understand your policy.  Sorry it took longer than 3 days.  Sometimes the computer works pretty good.  I noticed that when I did the last cleaning tools,  i am not sure if it was the tools or something else around that time but I have duckduckgo as the default search engine.  i did not download it knowingly.  It does not seem that bad of search engine but I had Google before and like google better.  Sometimes the computer is very slow like now.  I notice it is slower after it goes in sleep mode and then someone uses it.  i don't know why that would happen but it does.  Thanks for the help.  With the history, I understand how it works.  When I go through or my wife goes through the email, we click on a link and keep on clicking on links we like and then look at the links later so we do not keep going back and forth so the links that disappear, we are not sure exactly which ones we opened and are not the links that we use every day.  

 

 

 

Thanks

I just had to shut down the computer because it was taking at least a minute from the time i clicked on a link to the time it actually opened.  it took 10 minutes or so to shut down.  it did not shut down so I just pressed the off button and after it  restarted it seems to be working okay.

 

Thanks

Your logs appear to be ok, not looking at any malware that could be causing this.  How old is your computer, it maybe a hardware problem if it takes that long to start up and shut down.

 

Duckduckgo is very reputable search engine and very safe to use.  But if you want to make Google your default you can do this

 

  •  
  • Open Chrome
  • Click the Chrome menu [external image: Clipboard01_zps2e55f676.jpg]on the browser toolbar.
  • Click on Settings
  • Then Manage Search Engines
  • I would delete everything except Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo and Bing
  • Then go to Other Search Engines and delete them all.
  • Then you can choose Google and make it your default search engine.
  • Then close out Chrome.
 

Ken,

 

I put Google back as the default SE.   I seem to get better results searching with Google.  I did read about duckduckgo and it seemed okay but I cannot figure out how it became our default SE.  Weird.  I am not sure how old the computer is. As I said before I tends to bog down more after it goes into sleep mode or sometimes if we have a lot of tabs open.   I bought it used a year ago.I think it probably needs more RAM.  Here are the specs:  2 GB RAM;  2.2 GHz. 32 GB  HD (I think)  I don;t know if I can install more RAM.  I will check.  

 

Thanks for your help.

GB

Is this a laptop or desktop computer ?

 

You dont have a lot or ram installed , one of the best upgrades you can do to improve system performance on a computer is add more memory. I used to be a system builder all I ever used was Crucial  Memory.  You can go to there site and plug in the make and model of your computer or you can download and run there System Scanner that will tell you exactly what you have and if its upgradable and what they recommend.  Adding memory is very easy but if your not up to it if and when you purchase it you can take it to a local shop and have them do it for you

 

 http://www.crucial.com/

I just checked with Crucial.  The computer is a laptop.  I can upgrade to 4 Gigs.  I don't have the money right now though.  I have another notebook that has 2 Gigs and they told me I cannot upgrade it because the memory is soldered in.

 

Thanks

GB

Open Windows Defender
  •  
  • Go to History Tab
  • Select Quarantined Items >  View Details
  • Check everything and select REMOVE all
  • Close Windows Defender
 
 
 
==========================================================
 
 
Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool again.
  •  
  • Click on the Uninstall button.
  • Click Yes when asked are you sure you want to uninstall.
  • Both AdwCleaner.exe, its folder and all logs will be removed.
 
 
 
==========================================================
 
 
Open up Malwarebytes
  •  
  • On the Quarantine Tab
  • Check all Threats 
  • Then click on Delete
  • Close out Malwarebytes
 
 
 
==========================================================
 
 
Please download DelFix and save the file to your Desktop.
 
[external image: DelFix_zps139e2ea1.jpg]
 
  •  
  • Windows XP Double Click DelFix.exe to run the program. 
  • Windows Vista > Win 7 > Win 8 Right Click on DelFix.exe and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR 
  • Checkmark " Remove Disinfection Tools"
  • Click the Run button
 
 
This will remove the specialised tools we used to clean your system. Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually
 
 
 
 
So How did I get infected in the first place <– Some reading for you to keep yourself safe online
 
 
Safe Surfn
Ken
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI