This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

router

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I am looking for a device for both home and travel.

I think at some motels with just WiFi you have to bridge theirs and use the one you have set  up.

There are travel routers but I was hopng to get one for both travel and home.

My wife has a Chromebook so she is relatively  OK but I have Windows which needs protection in territory of the USA.

Please review this.

Thank you

Peter

 

 

 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_electronics_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A3R8HLPXFDTBF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSecurifi-Almond-Touchscreen-Wireless-Extender%2Fdp%2FB0087NZ31S%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fs%3Dpc%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1483730969%26sr%3D1-1-spons%26keywords%3Drouter%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1483730968&id=8968313395333986&widgetName=sp_atf

Hey Tom that actually is a good bridging device thanks it does not have AC technology but likely most travel routers have N anyway.
Actually I was wondering if the one I showed you would serve both home and motel?

OK but I have Windows which needs protection

 

What protection are you expecting? I don't see any that a portable router will give you, frankly. The primary reason for a travel router is so you can connect multiple devices to your hotel's wifi through one connection. But you are still connecting to their unsecured network.

 

See: http://www.techhive.com/article/2150741/laptop-accessories/tested-6-new-travel-routers-that-can-deploy-a-secure-wi-fi-network-almost-anywhere.html

I need a router for my home.
I was wondering if the one I showed would be good in Puerto Rico as well as here at home?
My old router is weak.

IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) and IEEE 802.11 (wifi) are global standards - the same everywhere. So the only thing you need to worry about is the power adapter.

Is it not true that if peter were to use one of the travel routers and plug it into the ethernet in his room (rather than using hotel wifi), that he would gain a little security by way of the firewall in the router?

>>Use a travel router to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot or a facility’s broadband connection, and it will create a private, secure, wireless network with a robust firewall.<<

Above is what I copied form the link.

It is my understanding that one can not only connect to other devices while away or home with a router like this as it has bridge capacity but at home as well. It also provides better security. We may be at a motel with just WiFi so I thought I could set it up to create my own WiFi network if I by bridge their wireless network.

 

​I realize my ac power at 125 V would be standard unlike Europe.

 

Anyway, what are your opinionss for this device for home and away?

You can create your own network… that would be relatively secure.  But, that network would include just devices you connected to the router… which would sound like yours and your wifes devices.  Connecting to a larger network… like the world wide web… is another can of worms.

 

My thought is that the firewall built into the router might give a little more security for you… which is why I asked the question in my previous post.  I'm hoping that Big D will respond back to that as he knows a tremendous amount about this sort of stuff.

If you can go Ethernet from the room, then that alone will be inherently more secure than wifi. And while a router does provide a nice layer of security just by assigning attached devices a different IP, you are still connecting to the hotel's (or free hot-spots) unsecured networks. I suspect your computers will be safe from compromise, but not sure about any data you send through their network.

Muchissimo gracias mis amigos 

Altho I am a 77 year old English speaking guy I used ear buds to pick up conversational Espanol and wish to thank you both. Looking forward to immersion in San Juan PR.

Last trip to please la Senora, mi esposa. We will just use her Chromebook and be pretty safe.

The good news is Puerto Rico is still a US Territory and not some 3rd world country overseen by Putin or terrorist or other corrupt regime.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI