Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

In desperate need of help. Possible rootkit virus? [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nevermindme

Nevermindme

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 11:25 AM

It all started yesterday when I downloaded a file. My Macafee Total Protection warned me about the file (but since McAfee doesn't trust any files) I went ahead and allowed access.... Big mistake..

Next thing I know I'm kicked out of Google chrome (I don't think nothing of it) so I try and click the chrome exe and a little message pops up saying something like "wrong path" (The same type of message you get when trying to play a MXD file in media player it has a icon of a piece of paper with a magnify class) so then I decide to try internet explorer. When I click explorer exe it opens briefly just to immediately close. (Now I'm stumped)

I then noticed a file on my desktop that wasnt there before named "Desktop.Ini" and the icon is that of a desktop.

This is when my computer starts really acting up... Not allowing me to do things and rendering my computer completely slow and at some points totally unresponsive. I cannot use internet explorer regardless of what I do... I've tried EVERYTHING. So the only way to get a TDSSkiller is to download it on a CD and then transfer it over. However, system factory restore is NOT an option for I have no administrative password.... I have a lot of music projects as well as videography projects that would cost me a lot of money and time if i was to lose them which is why I will stop at nothing to fix this.

I ran A full scan With 4 different types of programs. first being with "McaFee Total protection" (which I paid almost 80$ for) McAfee didn't find any problems.

I then tried defender and it wouldn't even finish the scan same thing happen with the program "byte finder" both scans stopped working around 90%....

I then tried Avira and it found NOTHING..

So can some one please try and help me out.... 😕😕 I'm exhausted trying to figure this out....

Will TDSS killer work??? Has anyone tried it? Is it safe???
And is there any other programs I should add after TDSS to make sure the computer is completely free of the virus?

If so can some one please give me an elaborated diagnosis? I'm not to computer savvy either so speak in terms that beginners will understand.

Thank you,

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Curie

Curie

Marie Skłodowska-Curie

• Malware Team
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 02:51 AM

Hello Nevermindme

I am Marie Curie and will gladly help you with any malware-related problems.

Please familiarize yourself with the following ground rules before you start.

• Read my instructions thoroughly, carry out each step in the given order.
  • Do not make any changes to your system, or run any tools other than those I provided. Do not delete, fix, uninstall, or install anything unless I tell you to.
  • If you are unsure about anything or if you encounter any problems, please stop and inform me about it.
  • Stick with me until I tell you that your computer is clean. Absence of symptoms does not mean that your computer is free of malware.
  • Back up important files before we start.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Please run the following diagnostic scans so I can ascertain the state of your computer.

STEP 1
xlK5Hdb.pngFarbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) Scan

• Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x32) or Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (x64) and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Note: Download and run the version compatible with your system (32 or 64-bit). Download both if you're unsure; only one will run.
  • Double-Click FRST.exe or FRST64.exe to run the programme.
  • Click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Ensure the Addition.txt box is checked.
  • Click the Scan button and let the programme run.
  • Upon completion, click OK, then OK on the Addition.txt pop up screen.
  • Two logs (FRST.txt & Addition.txt) will now be open on your Desktop. Copy the contents of both logs and paste in your next reply.

STEP 2
YARWD1t.pngTDSSKiller Scan

• Please download TDSSKiller and save the file to your Desktop.
  • Right-Click TDSSKiller.exe and select AVOiBNU.jpgRun as administrator to run the programme.
  • Click Change parameters. Place a checkmark next to Detect TDLFS file system and Verify file digital signatures.
  • Click Start Scan. Do not use the computer during the scan.
  • If objects are found, change the action to skip.
  • Click Continue and close the window.
  • A log will be created and saved to the root directory (usually C:\). Attach (not copy/paste) the file in your next reply.

======================================================

STEP 3
pfNZP4A.pngLogs
In your next reply please include the following logs.

• FRST.txt
  • Addition.txt
  • TDSSKiller log (attached!)

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom

#3 Nevermindme

Nevermindme

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:03 PM

Thank you for replying.
I'm sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, I've been really busy. I've spent the last week trying to fix this problem. I bought a "fix me stick" and it removed a ton of viruses but I still can't access internet explorer. When i click the "E" Icon a web page opens for a slight second and closes down. Chrome is gone... Idk what happened to it but it was deleted some how. I'm unable to download anything since I can't get the browser to respond... I think I'm going to have buy a new hardrive :( its really upsetting and I wish I could just figure it out

#4 Nevermindme

Nevermindme

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:45 PM

Before I got buy a brand new hard drive I'm going to buy a portable hard drive and download the programs you mentioned above and run them on PC and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for your time

#5 Nevermindme

Nevermindme

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:49 PM

I have the txt but idk how to post it all here
says my comment is to long.

but yeah it didn't do nothing

#6 Nevermindme

Nevermindme

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

Too late I threw the XXXXX computer in the trash XXX it

Thanks for trying to help:

Edit by paws: obscene words deleted

@nevermindme. we know infecting your computer can result in stress and strain but foul language is not tolerated on this site. Remember the site can be used by folks as young as 13 years.

#7 Curie

Curie

Marie Skłodowska-Curie

• Malware Team
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 02:53 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroom