Hi,
I did a fresh install of my W10 Pro 64 and noticed this time the bundled games (Purble Place, Solitaire, Freecell, etc) did not show up. I searched Microsoft's directories looking for instructions to install/repair installations on W10 and found nothing. Is there a way to install them directly from the retail dvd?
Thanks in advance,
Pablo
Windows 10 reinstall doesn't brings games
6 min read
don't know for sure seeing how i've never used any win 10 install media but don't think the games are included on the retail dvd.
see if this link helps you get your games back :- https://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2016/apr/07/how-can-i-play-my-old-windows-7-games-in-windows-10
hint :- this part
As Tony says, this involves “downloading zip files from unknown websites,” which is inherently risky. However, following a popular link from a site like Winaero (Google’s top hit) should be less risky, and a good virus scanner should be able to detect any malware in the zip file. (You can always upload files to Virus Total, which will check them with dozens of anti-virus products.)
click on the winaero link after reading the warnings.
![]()
Hi, terry1966
I read the linked post, and my heart have beaten with hope when I read that I could call the games folder back through the shell:games command
To get the games folder back, go to the run box and type “shell:games” (without the quotes).
but, to my surprise, the Games folder was empty. ![]()
i believe that's probably because you've done a clean install and not an upgrade from an os that had the games i believe, the windows 10 install disk doesn't have the games on it from my understanding, so the only way to get them is to download and install them again from the link or download and install similar games from the microsoft store.
![]()
here's the games link again in case you missed it from the original posted link :- http://winaero.com/blog/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/
The games link was down everytime I tried them, so I'll keep trying. It seems Winaero is legit and clean, right? Because I'll take your word for it.
Anyway, it still sounds crazy to me: the games, which did not make part of the previous Windows version I was using, were running just fine by the first install (Purble Place is the best example) but not from the second install onwards. Why??
Wish I could pick them from the installation dvd. This is possible, right? Search the dvd after all the game files, one by one?
first time i'd guess you did an upgrade so all programs already on the pc like the games were kept, second time i guess you did a clean install so all programs were wiped clean and only the programs on the install media were installed so no more games.Anyway, it still sounds crazy to me: the games, which did not make part of the previous Windows version I was using, were running just fine by the first install (Purble Place is the best example) but not from the second install onwards. Why??
no it is not possible because they are not on the dvd.Wish I could pick them from the installation dvd. This is possible, right?
no idea why the link is down for you works fine for me, yes as far as i know the link is clean and legit (i don't run windows os so have never used it myself.) but you can always check the download before running it if your wary either with your own av software or by uploading it to a site that checks for malware like virustotal here :- https://www.virustotal.com/(not sure if there's a file size limit though for such sites.)The games link was down everytime I tried them, so I'll keep trying. It seems Winaero is legit and clean, right? Because I'll take your word for it.
seems the link only takes you to the page where you have to click on the "Download Windows 7 games for Windows 10" link to start the download process.
list of some of the games in the download :-
[external image: select-games-to-install.png]
terry1966,
I can guarantee you I never did any updates to Windows 10. Every isntallation was preceded by a wipping of the HD with DBaN. That's why somebody has still have to explain me this phenomenon somewhere in time. Because, to me, it seems completely illogical. I feel like Dr. Spock himself every time I think about it.
So, the logical question for me (after all this) is: are you sure the game files aren't in the retail dvd? Else, where did they come from? A stealth download right from Microsoft?
Thanks for all the links. I could bet it's only bad chance, I tried the Winaero search in a server maintenance time or something. Will try it again later.
Pablo
well knowing for a fact all old xp and win 7 games were dropped from win 8 onwards, i don't know how else to explain why you still had those games in win 10 except by doing an upgrade from a win 7 os.
my understanding is they most definitely are not included in any win10 version of install media from everything i have read, never installed win 10 myself and won't ever let it get on my pc's so can't prove my understanding as fact from personal experience, but they definitely weren't included in every win 8 version i tested.
here's another link explaining microsofts reasons why they removed the games from their os and also links to the winearo site as the place to get them again :- http://www.howtogeek.com/225128/you-dont-have-to-pay-20-a-year-for-solitaire-and-minesweeper-on-windows-10/
so to answer your questions.
So, the logical question for me (after all this) is: are you sure the game files aren't in the retail dvd?
yes 99.999999% sure they won't be on any win10 retail version of the install dvd.
Else, where did they come from?
only logical thing i can think of is you must be mistaken and did an upgrade from win 7 and not a full clean install first time like you think.
A stealth download right from Microsoft?
most definitely not because if they were on microsofts servers i'd be able to find and give you the links so you could download them from microsoft again instead of relying on a 3rd party link.
I tried the Winaero search in a server maintenance time or something.
sorry don't understand what you mean by that, are the links not taking you to the correct page or is the download link on that page not downloading the software?
if so then i'll ask someone who runs win 10 to check if the links work for them just to make sure win10 itself isn't blocking things and if they do work for them then i'd recommend you getting your pc checked over at the malware part of the forum here :- https://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=27
just to check there's nothing on it that may be interfering with things.
![]()
terry1966,
I want to attach a jpeg of my %username folder, but unfortunately, I don't know why, I failed everytime I tried. There is a "Jogos Salvos" folder (my translation for "Saved Games").
…Now… How I am supposed to have a system native savedgames folder with cool icons if I had no game at all?
Ann icon just like this one:
http://img03.deviantart.net/b85a/i/2009/171/8/2/saved_games_folder_by_lexenx.jpg
[external image: savedgames.jpg]
Pablo
sorry can't answer that because i have no idea. have you managed to get the games back again?
![]()
No, not yet. Well, it's ok to me. You really helped me a lot, I know where to look after them.
Thank you, terry1966!
![]()
![]()
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI