I bought 2 laptops which (supposedly) will update to Windows 10…but, when I went to windows update, they searched for ages and ages. Eventually, I stopped the search myself.
Then I went to connect to the Internet normally and all I get is a pop up on the screen for BackUp my pc free for 6 months, which I don't want, thank you! and I can't get rid of it. There isn't anywhere to close it, it doesn't appear anywhere in the programmes menus, or anywhere else. But I can't do anything until I get rid of this flipping popup.
The seller, of course, is conspicuous by their absence…or disappearance, so no help there.
The laptop itself works ok, just can't get onto the internet because of this popup, when you click on the internet icon, up comes the popup - that's it, full stop.
As it's fast approaching the 29/07, time is of the essence, as they say.
Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.
Do a Clean Install rather than an upgrade. That way it doesn't matter what is currently install as you delete ll partitions and install to a raw, unformatted disc.
Follow this tutorial: Windows 10 - Clean Install
Edit: You do not need to upgrade first. The windows 10 installer will get the embedded key from BIOS or you can enter it manually.
Best to run ShowKeyPlus to get the current key in case the computer did not come with Win 8/8.1 but was upgraded from Win 7.
Hi Ztrucker, thanks for the reply, and for your help. It was really first to get onto the Internet to get updates on the laptops, but your suggestion is tempting.
I actually found a reverse eject sitting on the address bar and when I clicked it, Microsoft's website was there, so I was able to change the homepage to my own and go from there. My next problem now is, one the laptops won't download any updates. It just sits and looks like it's downloading, then suddenly it will power off, even though it is set to never power off, supposedly having been on a network (see below). The other laptop installed the updates without any problems. If the laptop is powering off like that, would that mean a problem with downloading; or indeed with the actual laptop in itself?
Just discovered that on the tab for setting up Remote on my desktop computer I have 3 choices, 1. Don't allow connections etc; 2. All connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure). 3. Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (more secure). So, option No 2 is greyed out. None of these options is available on the laptops. I guess that is why I cannot connect them all through the homegroup option then!! Any other options available, do you know?
That's enough long-windedness from me. Nose back to the grindestone. Speak to you later, I'm hoping.
Sorry for all the quick-fire questions, trying to 6 things at once. Thanks for your help again, much appreciated. hedley