Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Linux

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#46 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 07:26 AM

I think some settings should be looked at.

why? and what sort of settings do you think need adjusting?

Additions are a feature I have read that are important but I am unsure of that.

depends what you want to do and how you use the vm, but we'll get into that later if needed.

in case you want to read more about that though here's a link :- https://www.virtualb...anual/ch04.html

!!!!!!! PS I must have closed out of the VM wrong b/c when I went to double click the icon to open it later, it said repair or remove; I clicked repair.

What did i do wrong, if I may ask?

nothing as far as i'm aware, what icon did you double click on that said it needed to repair or remove something? and did that message happen in the vm window or in widows os?

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 09 June 2016 - 07:28 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#47 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:45 AM

I have reinstalled VM. After looking around it seems as though now I am updated and can use a lot of features. I have a password to the forum.

I have used leave to quit then log off.

When I open the VM by double clicking the icon the VM it seems to want to present the box with" repair or remove"..

What is the right way to launch the VM?

Is there a way to get the desktop icon in Windows off of the desktop and put elsewhere. My PC only has a recycle bin?

I have done all the updates and found my printer. 

I am sure to save all work before closing.

How do you share a folder with Windows?

Edited by Peter1, 09 June 2016 - 08:49 AM.

#48 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:29 AM

I 'sent to' start in Win 10 the V Box my desktop but it then did not function.

I am being redundant but does the box have to remain on the Windows desktop/

#49 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:21 PM

I have reinstalled VM. After looking around it seems as though now I am updated and can use a lot of features. I have a password to the forum.

I have used leave to quit then log off.

you can close the vm in a number of ways, either from within the vm os by shutting it down or from out side the vm and just by closing the window, by doing it from outside the vm you will get the option in what state you want the vm to be in.

when in the vm though and you click leave and then logoff you are not shutting down the vm, what your doing is logging out of your user account so you can log back in again with a different user, so to shut down the vm you need to click leave and then shutdown.

When I open the VM by double clicking the icon the VM it seems to want to present the box with" repair or remove"..

What is the right way to launch the VM?

the correct way to launch the vm is to start virtualbox then make sure the vm you want to start is highlighted in blue with a single click on it, (only applies if you have a number of vm's) then click on the start button and the vm will launch.

Is there a way to get the desktop icon in Windows off of the desktop and put elsewhere. My PC only has a recycle bin?

if you don't want the virtualbox shortcut on your desktop, then just delete it, then when you want to start virtualbox you will have to find it in your programs instead.

I 'sent to' start in Win 10 the V Box my desktop but it then did not function.

I am being redundant but does the box have to remain on the Windows desktop/

assume above answers this as well.

How do you share a folder with Windows?

first create a folder somewhere you want to be shared. i called mine vm shares.

i assume this is what you see when you start your vm and haven't changed the view settings to hide the icons on the bottom.

snapshot36.png

right click on the greyed out folder, then click on the shared folder settings option that appears so you see this.

snapshot37.png

now click on the little blue folder with the green plus far right near top, so you see this.

snapshot38.png

now in the box folder path box click on the down arrow where you will get the option "other" click on this then browse to the shred folder you've already created.

snapshot39.png

highlight it by clicking on it then click ok, and as you can see you also get the choice of creating a new folder here if you didn't create one before or want to create a 2nd shared folder for any reason. when you click ok it will take you back to this

snapshot40.png

now click on the auto mount and make permanent boxes then just click ok for each box as it steps back though what you've already seen until you only have the desktop showing.

and that's it you've added a shared folder to your vm.

#50 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:29 PM

Terry may I ask how long have you been using Linux it seems to me to be something like a language where you really need to be brought up with it or understand it and have some people at your side to instruct you it is not something one picks up in a day.
Once before I tried with Ubuntu and I had the same complex situation whereby I felt I needed to have very much experience with it.
I will likely continue to Tinker with it in order to familiarize myself but now have realistic goals thank you for your tremendous amount of support

#51 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:45 PM

really don't know what your having trouble with peter, what sort of things are you trying to do that your having difficulty with?

don't over complicate things.

just click, click, click and experiment.

if you find you want to do something but don't know how then ask.

for example to browse the web just click bottom left m icon to open the menu choices (same as windows) then click on firefox and that's it your on the web where you can access this forum, your emails, your bank etc. etc.

why did you want to share folders with your windows os in the first place for example?

i've been using linux for years but then again i don't use it in a different way than what i'd use windows, in other words it's just a question of clicking on things that i want to open and use.

ok setup might be different, but unless i know what your trying to do i don't know what you may need for things to work that would need setting up.

for example to playback dvd's in suse you'd need to add the packman repo and then add libdvdcss before it will play dvd's.

perhaps it's the virtualbox icons that are confusing you with actually using the mint os itself.

try this at the top click view and then click scaled mode and click switch. (you can resize the window by dragging a corner or edge, maybe just make the window fill the screen so it's all you see then you can concentrate on using mint.) now your only seeing mint in the window and not any virtualbox controls. to get the controls back again hold down right ctrl key and tap the home button then click view and click on scaled again to go back to how it was.

Edited by terry1966, 09 June 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#52 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:08 AM

I think one can be accustomed to a functioning program such as Linux that they  over estimate a newcomers abilities.

>"libdvdcss"  is a word 99.9% of the Windows population had never heard of.

>perhaps it's the virtual box icons that are confusing you with actually using the mint OS itself.

No, I have set the images properly so there is no conflict.

I feel most Windows users would have issues if they never used Linux before as it is not intuitive and even with experimentation, is not easy.

I feel, as I said that it is like learning a new language;those who speak it find it easy yet to newcomers it requires immersion or elbow to elbow tutoring. 

Then again, my cognitive functions may be lacking.

I have an Android phone but much prefer the Windows one - I had no choice. Linux and Android may be for the more capable but I feel Windows is more straight forward. 

I learned Spanish using ear buds but until I was immersed I could not really speak it well. I refer to that as an example of why I feel Linux for one who never used it, is not a gimmie [golfing term] or something to be assumed, a done deal.

I do thank you for you past efforts and I will continue to dabble with different distros.

I read many people in forums who dislike Windows and attempt an alternative like Linux. Their attempt to do so is short lived.

A bit off subject but speaking of security, Sandboxing is an interesting concept. Google uses it to some extent.

I would like Sandboxie as you can really do what you want with security - trial and error and the likes.

Signing off and I'll be around in the fall to give you another headache with a build if this one lasts that long.

Really, thanks for taking the time, I really do appreciate it. You are likely the most patient/cooperative person on the web.

Gracias,

Pedro

#53 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:31 AM

i think your trying to run before you can walk peter, like anything new it takes a bit of getting used to where things are and how they work.

so what you do is just use it, for example most people just use their pc's for internet browsing, that works exactly the same in windows as it does in linux, just open your web browser and away you go, nothing hard or complicated about it.

you can even add the same add-ons to your browser. eg. with firefox in both windows and linux, you can add adblock in exactly the same way so you don't see adverts when browsing the net.

if your worried about security, then your much safer using a linux os in a vm than you are just using windows.

(if you want you can even run windows in a vm and be safer than just using windows natively, not as safe as using linux but still safer.)

here's an interesting link explaining sandboxing and vm's :- http://ask-leo.com/w...al_machine.html

back to linux though, to learn you have to have a problem to solve in the first place and not create one out of thin air in a "what if" scenario.

so for example say you wanted to watch dvd's in your mint vm and found you put the dvd in your tray and nothing happened, now you have a problem and we can work on trying to solve it. (probably a virtualbox setting problem and not the mint os problem and something easy to fix like setting virtualbox optical drive to actually use the real dvd drive and not a virtual dvd drive which is what we've been using so far..)

if you wanted to use usb devices in the vm then we'd need to install some things so virtualbox will work with them. eg. the extension pack.

this site has some good guides on setting up virtualbox for different things. :- http://www.htpcbegin...albox-guest-os/

I feel most Windows users would have issues if they never used Linux before as it is not intuitive and even with experimentation, is not easy.

what is it your finding not intuitive? is there a specific thing you want to do but can't?

as to windows users not knowing what libdvdcss is, why should they?

i only know what it is because i learned it was something i needed to install in suse before i could watch dvd's.

so i had a problem then learned what the solution was.

mint by the way has it installed by default i believe so should just play dvd's anyway. (some distro include it by default but most distro's don't, it's a licensing issue so they won't include it by default to make sure they don't get sued but it is perfectly legal for users to add it later so they can watch their dvd's.)

anyway that's my thoughts and i'll be here if you have any problems and require some help to understand and fix them.

take care and thanks for the compliment. :thumbup:

(shows you really don't know me though, patient? my daughters would laugh if they heard that. grumpy grampy is what they call me. :rofl:)

Edited by terry1966, 10 June 2016 - 07:45 AM.

#54 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:07 AM

Odd that I have the handle, 'Grumpy' - for fun. They don't call me that but I sign off that way for a kick.

You expressed your positions well.  As I said i will dabble with Linux and will post any questions I have when doing so. Right now I wanted to know about  launcher. That seems to imply you can open the VM that way and it may be located in the systray or elsewhere. if I do not want the icons for  the VM on the desktop.

Did you say to follow the path and initiate it by clicking on it? i wonder when I pinned it to start, it did not work as all other programs do.

So I am at the very beginning trying to start the once created VM but not having the icon on the desktop.

BTW, does the VM's software stop if that desktop icon is removed or moved. It seems it does.

Thanks again - I have a feeling the young terrys are going to grow up quiet proficient with their machine and software/hardware.

I wonder if the forum has an issue as it took me a full minute for the message to be posted - unusual.

Edited by Peter1, 10 June 2016 - 08:09 AM.

#55 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

Right now I wanted to know about  launcher. That seems to imply you can open the VM that way and it may be located in the systray or elsewhere. if I do not want the icons for  the VM on the desktop.

Did you say to follow the path and initiate it by clicking on it? i wonder when I pinned it to start, it did not work as all other programs do.

So I am at the very beginning trying to start the once created VM but not having the icon on the desktop.

BTW, does the VM's software stop if that desktop icon is removed or moved. It seems it does.

not using windows 10, and never going to even try it i don't really know what your doing, but the vm is stored in virtualbox and can only be started from that program.

so when in the windows os it's the virtualbox program that needs to be started.

if you don't want the virtualbox shortcut to be on your desktop then just delete it.

now you have to find where the program is located under programs to start it and when it's running it will show in your task bar exactly the same as any other running windows program does.

maybe if you showed me some screenshots of what your doing will give me a better idea on what your wanting to achieve but not actually succeeding in doing so far by the sounds of it.

I wonder if the forum has an issue as it took me a full minute for the message to be posted - unusual.

maybe took me a while too.

Edited by terry1966, 10 June 2016 - 09:07 AM.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#56 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:23 AM

As long as I know I can start it from within the program files  that is fine. The last time i removed the box and shortcut from the desktop it said the Icon i 'sent to' start  would not open like the other programs.

Perhaps going to the location in programs is functional and I did not realize it.

Enjoy your day/eve.

#57 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:42 AM

so how "intuitive" is windows 10 then?  :rofl:

just teasing, and not having ever used a windows 10 pc i really have no idea how you'd do things.

i have no idea why moving the shortcut from the desktop to "start" would stop the shortcut from working but obviously it did, and that's a windows issue and nothing at all to do with the actual virtualbox program itself.

also

As long as I know I can start it from within the program files  that is fine.

Perhaps going to the location in programs is functional and I did not realize it.

no idea if you can but logically you most definitely should be able to start it running from there, because that is where it is actually installed.

you could also try making a shortcut there and seeing if you can place it where you want the shortcut to go.

see if this link helps :- http://www.howtogeek...-on-windows-10/

Edited by terry1966, 10 June 2016 - 09:54 AM.

#58 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:28 AM

Your link as quite informative. Some of the options with the start icons are straightforward but the referral showed some neat tricks.

I think one can open a program from the origin of the path.

I think Google is more clever than Windows but Windows seems to fit my way of thinking. I will get the Windows phone next time round, if I can, as I like the Files and Folders better than Drive for notes.

I am synced to the pc with the phone so it is ok for now.

Weekend's here - enjoy it and do so with the grandchildren because before you know it they will be obligated all the time.

Grandparents do something for a child no one else can do, and it is satisfying.   :)

#59 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:35 AM

:thumbup:

#60 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

don't know if you read the earlier link i posted about sandboxing and vm's but thought you might also find this one interesting from the same place. :- http://ask-leo.com/d...ur_privacy.html