This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Windows 10 pro and building

30 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

I am about to either make or get a new desktop and wanted to know if I can get Pro on one I buy; I have not seen that option.

Also, I have Office Home and Student 2010 which Dell made for 64 byte only - it has been an issue but that's it. I don't know if it will also work in a machine if I build or if it is OEM.

I have flash drive I made at Tech Bench which is .Wim and 64 Byte. I wonder if i could buy the licence for $200 from MS and use it to build.

If I have any trouble with the build is there anyone here who could help me out, particularly with the cables?

I am told i5 is on the way out and to get i7 but I need to take it ez on the wallet. Also, I would use the on board video card until i could save up.

Thank you

Peter

i should think you can buy a pc with windows 10 pro on it and if not then you could upgrade from whatever version it does have to the pro version easy enough.

 

would the flash drive you made install win10 pro if so then yes it can be used with the win10 pro key you purchase, pretty sure though when you buy win10 pro it will direct you to a download link to download the iso image anyway, that is if you didn't buy a retail version that comes on a flash drive anyway.

 

 

I am told i5 is on the way out and to get i7 but I need to take it ez on the wallet. Also, I would use the on board video card until i could save up.

no idea who told you that but they are wrong.

for what you do on a pc a new i5 skylake system would be more than enough power for you, in fact you could get away with building an i3 system in my opinion.

 

if you want to go i7 then that is fine, i say you can never have to much processing power and it's always better to have more than you need than not enough for that odd occasion when something you do on a pc could benefit from it. :D  

 

when you build your own pc the motherboard will come with a manual that you MUST read it will explain everything you need to know, all connections, etc. etc. also the case will come with a manual to help install things into that.

 

by reading both you will find the actual build is a very simple step by step process, needing only a simple phillips (crosshead) screwdriver usually.

 

install cpu into motherboard

install cpu heatsink and fan.

install 1 stick of ram.

place on motherboard box connect keyboard and monitor and power it up, if it powers up and posts then you know everything works, disconnect power supply, keyboard and monitor.

 

now install psu into case.

install motherboard into case.

install rest of your ram sticks into motherboard.

install dvd and hard drives into case.

now follow manuals and connect case connections to motherboard.

connect all needed power leads.

connect all sata leads.

close case and your finished.

 

now plug in psu to mains and boot it up and install your os.

 

if you need any help during the build of course we will help you.

if you need a parts list then give us a dollar amount you have to spend and we'll see what we can come up with.

also what sort of size pc would you like, personally after having massive full tower cases with water cooling and everything, i'm now into small quiet pc's. :rofl:

 

just built my daughter a very compact skylake i7 htpc to go under her tv. here's the parts list for that i posted on another site.

 

 

i'm in the middle of building and testing a new high end but lowish power itx htpc for my daughter, total cost about £1000.

 

some of the parts list here :-

cpu :- i7-6700

motherboard:- gigabyte z170n-wifi

case :- silverstone mlo5b

psu :- silverstone st45sf

memory :- 2x4gb hyperx black

storage :- 2x2TB samsung m9t

boot drive :- samsung 250gb sm951nvm

tv tuner :- tbs 6205

remote :- flirc + oneforall urc-7960

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/205553-im-jealous/

 

you could probably build yourself a similar i7 skylake system for about half of what she spent because you won't need half the parts. i'd not recommend using that case either unless you wanted a nice compact pc.

makes building it a pain because there's not a lot of room to place things, unlike in a nice midi size case that can fit a full size atx motherboard and psu in.

 

also if your building yourself a new pc, you could probably use most of the parts from your old pc to save you money.

i'd probably only buy a new psu, motherboard, cpu and ram to start with and use the rest from your old pc, maybe add a nice fast ssd to install the os onto and use your old hard drive/s for storage.

 

:popcorn:

Thank you for all that information.
Coincidentally I was watching some sites about these prebuilt machines.
I actually found Pro and many of the options I would like.Then out of the blue another person recommended the same path that they took and are delighted.h
I now have to check reputations and investigate warranties etc.
This way I can avoid what could be a problem and still not have to deal with the major manufactures and all their negative baggage.
Thanx again.

I have Micro Center near me and if you buy their parts they build it for you. I am considering this. Let me look this over and get back to you as it looks quite interesting.

Thank you

it wasn't a referral, just an example of a site that will build a pc for you, i have never used that site and know nothing about it, i could just has easily given you any one of these links. ;)

 

http://www.ibuypower.com/Site/Desktop

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-systems/configurator

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/category/configurator

http://www.novatech.co.uk/promo/pc-configuration.html

 

you can even configure some options when you buy a dell pc :- http://www.dell.com/us/p/desktops?~ck=mn

 

:popcorn:

 

personally i'd recommend building a new pc with a z170 chipset, if you can afford the cost of the newest hardware, if cost is a major factor building an older chipset system will save you money without losing much in performance though.

more links that you may find helpful.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-vs-Z97-What-is-the-Difference-636/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Z170-H170-H110-B170-Q150-Q170—What-is-the-Difference-635/

Well money is a factor to be honest.
I think i5 will serve the purpose but I can evaluates again.
Referral or suggestion- I was just expressing gratitude for your work.
If I could magically find a
friend I would do my own build being watched but dealing with reality,I Will likely pick parts and have Micro Center build it.

I have been using that site for compatibility and thank you.  It's amazing to me that "it" knows what goes with what and what doesn't but this is a new age. I'll let you know what goes on  terry    :)

I was at a link where you built your own PC and it said my monitor is inadequate to build with as soon as I entered Intel i5.

 

This is my 3 day old monitor from Micro Center which I can still return as I have time.

 

Dell S 2340 M. I bought it for $ 140. on sale from $170. It has a three year warranty.

Could you help me find out if this is something I should be concerned about?

TY

Peter

 

P.S. Sorry terry as I am not making very good progress with my list. I have one assembled but it seems the case will not accommodate the cooler and a few other issues.

Right now I am concerned with this new monitor.

nothing wrong with your monitor choice and you will have no compatibility problems with any pc you build, it has both dvi and vga inputs.

 

to be honest all monitors are compatible with all pc's so there never really is a compatibility problem there unless it's a simple analogue/digital signal problem which can be fixed by a simple adapter. eg. monitor only accepts digital signals and pc only outputs an analogue signal. (won't apply with your new build.) 

 

so no there is nothing you should be concerned about with your new monitor and any new build.

 

yes case choice/size counts for a lot during the build and you need to choose one that will fit both the length of any graphics cards you want to fit (case length front to back, and doesn't apply in your position at the moment but something to consider in case you want to add one later.) and also the height of any aftermarket air coolers (case width side to side.) you want to use.

 

:popcorn:

here's a parts list you may want to consider, total comes to between $650 and $700 without a windows os which i believe you have anyway.

 

cpu :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117563&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

motherboard :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157636&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

memory :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104531&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

os drive :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147372&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

storage drive :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5AD2JZ5899&cm_re=Hitachi_Deskstar-_-22-145-473-_-Product

dvd drive :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

power supply :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139059&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

case :- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854019&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker,%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

 

:popcorn:

 

the cpu comes with a heatsink so you don't need to purchase a separate one if you don't want to, also the motherboard only comes with 2 sata cables so you would need to purchase another for the dvd drive because those 2 will be needed for the ssd and hd.

That's really nice of you terry. 

It was suggested to me if I may, that I get 750 Watt PSU, What do you think?

 

I also wanted; blue tooth (for use with my phone), hyper-threading, WiFi, internet, 64 byte and importantly legacy in the UEFI in the board as it makes booting so much easier for a relative novice. Is there a way to know ahead of buying whether the board  it has legacy or not?

 

Would a cooler be something the build could benefit from?

 

How does the warranty work ? I go to the manufacturer per his warranty?  Do you think a prebuilt has any merit for a novice? I would like to build it but am uncertain about the cables going where?  Maybe I can show you the build via Skype so you can tell me where some tricky cable goes?  :whistling:

 

I am copying your suggested parts down and will wait to hear about the minor suggestions.

You are the only one to actually coordinate a build and I appreciate that. I would also do that for someone who was asking.

 

I have Windows 10 Pro b/c I upgraded and then downloaded the ISO file from Tech Bench so I I could have .WIM not .ESD. for DISM extreme repair purposes.

But Windows servers recolonize my PC. I would have to buy Windows Pro retail with a key for $200 which I think comes with a flash drive.

 

may I ask how did you compile this as I have been trying for days. I was at PCPartsPicker but could not find my saved list when I clicked on "my saved parts".  Did you do it based upon your past experience or is it something I could have done?

 

Look forward to hearing from you.

 

Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI