Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

The browser experience, and mouse---why doesn't it just work good?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

Hiya

Just kind of a general question.

Win 10, Firefox, logitech wireless mouse, Inspirion 3541, 1.8 Ghz, 8G

ADSL, at the limit of distance from the repeater.  Still, hardwired we can stream Netflix.  (Not over the wifi).

Generally speaking, I call up some page.  Then I wait while god-knows-what-all adshit, cookies, graphics, clickbit links and I really do not know what else loads.  Or it Waits for Whatever......

Depending on page, it can take a bit to load up and become responsive.

Often, I can only scroll in fits and starts.  Then sometimes I spin the wheel on the mouse and the page rockets up and down.  (I have not been able to identify this function or disable it.  Sometimes get a different pointer...dot with arrows top and bottom).

Sometime FF quits responding.

Sometimes I have what are probably too many windows open at once.

So the question is, is this just how it is with the speed of my connection (believe me, when we moved up this hill in a rural county, we were THRILLED to get ADSL.  Doesn't look as though the NanoBell is gonna run their cable up this direction any time soon, too bad.

And with all the adjunct monetization-bait stuff that has to load with each and every page?  (Why does every youtube I look at have an intrusive window for the two worst prostate foods?)

What's with the sticky scrolling?

Is this simply the online experience under my circs?  Should I shut up and live with it?  Anything I could do?

Thanks for any input or opinions.

denno

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hi denno,

Sounds as though you are having a tough time... :(

If you are on a slow connection then it can seem to take a while to load various things on the net.... I get about 2 or 3 Mbps where I am, and that suits me fine (I have no need to download or stream movies, music or the like, dont use torrents, and dont have multiple devices devouring my bandwidth) so I have not elected to have a fibre optic connection, (fibre optic to the cabinet and copper wire from cabinet to my house) this would give me around 50Mbps or so but at an extra £10 per month on my subscription, to me it's just not worth it.... other folks take a very different view and seem to want everything to happen instantly! As for me I'm Ok at waiting!

If you are stuck with a slow connection then it may be worthwhile checking that you are getting the speed that you should be getting from your ISP, so I would be inclined to ask them what exactly what speed you are contracted to receive and then compare that with what you are getting..... they may be prepared to check you line, and advise on contention rates, and provide any tips that may help you maximise the available speed

You are right most websites seems to load all sorts of odd pages and often times the webpage designer/builder will get carried away and arrange for pictures and other stuff with large file sizes to be loaded. It sure is galling having to wait for 20 or 30 seconds or more for some picture that holds not the slightest interest for you..... to load, and when you then click on the next page or link ...another bunch of gunk tries to load.....

A lot of webpage designers.builders have very fast connections several hundred Mbps or more, and whilst they have the equipment and tools to check the load speed of their pages at slower rates they generally are not interested..... if they are using a fast connection they can tend sometimes to focus their attention on providing fancy effects for their sites, at the expense of speed.... and they certainly don't cater for folks who are not even on broadband.... such is life!

Its important to get the best out of your machine, safe surfing,, no torrents, only one anti virus product running resident in memory, maintain at least 25% free space on the hard drive, keep junk files and caches at a reasonable level ( just good housekeeping really) make sure there is no virus or undesirable code running , no PUPs or ads cluttering up your system, run a good ad blocker, and keep clear of fancy optimization or registry or cleaning programs ( they can often create more harm than good)

https://adblockplus.org/

Reset your browsers ( Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox etc) periodically , keep an eye on add ons ...do you really need them? if not then get rid of 'em!

If you don't use Java then uninstall it , all versions.... make sure that all the rest of your system, Windows itself, Adobe etc are fully updated with all important /security updates... don't click on links in emails, curtail anyone who is "click happy" on your computer. Run chkdsk with the r switch every month or so and the same for SFC /scannow, and dont forget to make sure that you have good disc images of your original system and also updated ones, all verified and with several kept safe on removable media offsite, together with bootable media able to access them.

Sticky scrolling is a " feature" you don't have to use it... just click away in a blank space on the page and it should stop and go back to normal.... the sticky scrolling is started by pressing down on the scroll wheel on your mouse....... if you don't want it then don't press it, just roll it forward or back as required.... 

So to sum up,  Yes I guess there is a fair bit you can do..

Hope this helps

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:Raising Golden Retrievers; folk-rock and Irish music (what I do); reading; DIY; websites; writing

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:54 PM

Hello, Paws

I have been wrestling with cleaning up my wife's computer and refurbishing her (formerly Frontpage) website.

I will mess with the above, thank you.  Also have a couple other questions that may or may not fall into this thread.

Will report in a day or two if you'll kindly keep the thread open.

denno

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:33 AM

:thumbup:

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 denno

denno

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:23 PM

Yeah....one or two days later....

I tested speed, and it pinged about what they advertise=not very fast at the price.  (We have a nanoBell here; they do provide cable but not up our hill.  Probably going to have to settle or pay a bunch more.  And at our location, at the limiting distance from the DSL repeater, dunno if they could even provide higher speed.

Oh, here it is

DSL - mSPEED Lite: $35.95/month
  • Up-To 1 Mbps Downstream
  • Up-To 0.5Mbps Upstream
  • One Email Address
  • Prepay: 6 months ($210.00) 1 year ($420.00)
DSL - mSPEED: $50.95/month
  • Up-To 4Mbps Downstream
  • Up-To 1Mbps Upstream
  • Five Email Addresses
  • Prepay: 6 months ($290.00) 1 year ($567.00)
DSL - mSPEED Plus: $66.95/month
  • Up-To 7Mbps Downstream
  • Up-To 1Mbps Upstream
  • Five Email Addresses
  • Prepay: 6 months ($380.00) 1 year ($750.00)

Maybe we'll decide  $15 a month more is worth it.  We're somewhat self-indulgent on our entertainment and general connection to the world.

I'll have to make a list of housekeeping----emptying cache, resetting Firefox, like that in that paragraph, thank you.

Firefox and Thunderbird seem to lock up or crash more often than one would like.  Any thoughts or better programs?  I like both of them well enough.

I'm using Microsoft Essentials and Malwarebytes.  Should add that adblocker?

Thank you for telling me about pressing down on the mouse wheel.  Had NO idea of that feature!  Don't much think of it as a "feature"---maybe now I know how to control it

The scrolling that seems to jam up apparently happens when I've got too many browser windows open, or when one of them gets an unresponsive script going.  Any help for "unresponsive script?"  Anything I can do; is it the nature of a given page?  Of the browser?  (I've tried to look these up online but can't figure anything out.  You happen to know an 8-word answer?)

Guess I use java for YouTube, or vids people post on Facebook, and like that.   Seems to chime in when I encrypt an email address on a website.

And I suppose there is no help other than a faster connection for the shenanigans while a page is loading.  I try to click on something and suddenly a video frame inserts itself and the page content moves up or down.  Etc.

Another "thing" is that I scroll to someplace (probably mostly on just-opening pages) and the cursor seems to arrive at the spot and then ride up or down a little, or some of both.  I'll suppose that is more of the same loading stuff, but not sure.

Guess that is the lot.  I'll surely take under consideration any recommendations for protective software that might be "best possible."

Thanks as always.

denno