This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Hacked

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I just read this. I have one of the MS accounts called Outlook.com where my suffix is @live.com.

Am I affected by this - I would think so and it is a bit disconcerting.

I just read this while perusing articles in WTT and pasted it here.

 

Dec 30, 2015 - "Microsoft Corp experts concluded several years ago that Chinese authorities had hacked into more than a thousand Hotmail email accounts, targeting international leaders of China’s Tibetan and Uighur minorities in particular – but it decided not to tell the victims, allowing the hackers to -continue- their campaign, according to former employees of the company. On Wednesday, after a series of requests for comment from Reuters, Microsoft said it will change its policy and in the future tell its email customers when it suspects there has been a government hacking attempt. The company also confirmed for the first time that it had not called, emailed or otherwise told the Hotmail users that their electronic correspondence had been collected. 

 

Peter

Hi Peter, I wouldn't worry over much about this If I was you…

The original article refers to events that took place around 4 or 5 years ago…. Microsoft didn't inform folks at the time that a government has hacked their account, but did announce at the back end of last year, that they would do so in future….

Further info in this topic here:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=130327#entry873962

If you are at all worried then change your password….(and make it a secure one!)
Regards
paws
I read the referral + link and thank you Paws.
I'm not really worried about it I just haven't read it before and I found it quite curious. I don't put anything of a sensitive nature in the computer anyway. Thank you,
Peter

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI