This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

ASUS TOWER RUNNING SLOW [Solved]

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I'm back!!

 

I came home from work today and he tells me this pc had 141 updates to install…..

 

I asked him, are you sure, 141?  Everyone's been getting 14 updates recently!!!

 

He said, yes, 141 updates!!  And he said his pc did lock up after those installs and reboot.

 

Now what is going on?  Any ideas?

 

dar

Morning Darlene

 

He may have been behind on his updates and they came all at once. Normally your right, there should be maybe a dozen or so at a time.  As far as the computer locking up, it could be a number of things, bad memory, a hard drive maybe heading south, an issue on the motherboard or maybe with the graphics card. I am thinking its most likely a driver conflict of some sort, that's sometimes hard to figure out. But at this point I am sure we can rule out malware being the culprit . This forum is just for malware removal so I think it best if you post in our windows forum and lets see if they can offer some suggestions. I would link them to this forum so they can see what we have done and go from there

 

 

Post here

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=119

 

 

 

 

Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool again.
  •  
  • Click on the Uninstall button.
  • Click Yes when asked are you sure you want to uninstall.
  • Both AdwCleaner.exe, its folder and all logs will be removed.
 
 
 
==========================================================
 
 
Please download DelFix and save the file to your Desktop.
 
[external image: DelFix_zps139e2ea1.jpg]
 
  •  
  • Windows XP Double Click DelFix.exe to run the program. 
  • Windows Vista > Win 7 > Win 8 Right Click on DelFix.exe and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR 
  • Checkmark " Remove Disinfection Tools"
  • Click the Run button
 
 
This will remove the specialised tools we used to clean your system. Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually
 
 
 
 
So How did I get infected in the first place <– Some reading for you to keep yourself safe online
 
 
Safe Surfn
Ken
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

NO, he wasnt' behind in his updates, his tower updates as often as my laptop and the pc's where I work.  So when one starts getting updates, they all seem to follow close by..  I know he was current.  I thought maybe something we cleaned out may have triggered it.

 

dar

Now it's doing it to me….I did have a note posted here….but nothing moved…and when it finally did…it did not remember that I had written a reply and clicked on post..so it was lost…..grrrr!!

 

Anyway, followed  thru with your removal routines and all is clear on my end.  I did post on the other forum, so will look forward to thier instructions!!

 

thank you for your help!!

 

dar

Go ahead and lets flush out your router and modem

 

 
1. Turn off your computer
2. Turn off your router by unplugging the power cord on the back of the unit
3. Turn off your Cable / DSL modem by unplugging the power cord on the back of the unit
 
Leave everything off for about 5 minutes, this lets it all reset 
 
Then
 
1. Plug in your Cable / DSL modem and wait until all the lights come back on
2. Now do the same thing with your router
3. Turn your computer back on and see if it made a difference
 

I can do this tonight, right now, he's back in the house surfing for parts for the leaf blower…….not a good time right now.

 

Will let you know how this goes later….

 

dar

Darlene, if you want to settle this issue and get back to normal you need to take care of this now. Get him off the computer and take care of business or else just let him live with it…Just saying. I mean he is having issues on his computer and we appear to be working around him. Do you or do you not want to solved this problem ?????????????

I followed your instructions about turning the router off, etc.

 

Once I rebooted I asked him to surf a bit and let me know if there is any improvement / change.

 

He texted me to let me know it hadn't been this fast in ages!  So my question is..exactly what was clogging up the router from his pc?  He is connected via ethernet, while the rest of the devices in the house are wifi and they were all fine.

 

Dar

I know with cable and DSL modems and service if you call your ISP and complain about slow loading pages and sometimes you cant connect, the first thing they will have you do is shut it all off and restart just like I posted. I know your router stores info as far as web addresses and sometimes it just needs to be flushed out. You should do this every few months.

 

Have him use the computer for a couple of days and make sure its all still good. Post back and let me know

HI

I came home from work today to find him with the laptop next to the keyboard of the tower…he was using both.  He told me the tower locked up on IE, and he could not get it to shutdown to reboot it.  eventually he did, so he used the laptop while the tower booted.  when it finished, he started using FF and so far….so good.  We just finished dinner and he has gone back up to use the tower….time will tell….

 

dar

Good Morning Darlene

 

I think even though FF maybe working ok the fact that the computer locks up could be either hardware or software related.  I am pretty sure we can rule out malware. The windows people are most likely waiting to see where this thread is going before they step in so I am going to close it and hopefully you will get a reply soon from them

 

 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI