This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

How do you get rid of totaladperformance [Solved]

479 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Signed in and now it will be a waiting game to see what happens…I have not enabled any of the extensions in Chrome, eg, AdBlocker, Facebook Blocker, Trend security, or the Opts out. Do you want me to load one at a time or just wait? 

Yes do that .  just to confirm, no problems with IE or FF, just Chome. Since you now have windows 10, you may want to give EDGE a try, it takes some configuring until you get it the way you want it but once you do its not bad

No problems with IE. I don't have FF d/l and Edge is one I just haven't gotten around to. I will enable each and see what happens after each. I have run the extensions (in above post)  for a while. The Google's opt out was one which had changed, but that occurred back in May and this problem began in July.  

Got AdBlock loaded. No problems, yet. Loaded MyOptOuts by Google and nothing, yet. Loaded Pintrest button and nothing yet. Just kinda crossing my fingers and wait and see. It appears to raise it's ugly head about 3 days after this. I will keep you in the loop if this happens again.  

 

Why didn't Trend pick up this malware? I never run this computer without security. I keep it up date, but it didn't catch this. Do I need to adjust the preferences in Trend or just leave it with "recommended" settings?

Wendy,

 

Total Ad Performance is not a virus, its malware, a virus and malware are two different animals. It came bundled with something you downloaded and installed without you knowing it. Trendmicro is fine but most times wont pick up malware. 

 

Read about it here, don't download and run SpyHunter, you don't need it. Its one of those programs I feel should be outlawed, you can download and install it , run a scan for free, but if it picks up any bad entries you have to buy it in order to remove them.

http://rescueyourcomputer.blogspot.com/2015/06/remove-total-ad-performance-adware-from.html

 

If it comes back, you may want to think about just uninstalling Chome for good and go with another browser like Firefox

 

What you also may want to think about is upgrading Malwarebytes to the Pro Version.  The Pro Version offers a Protection Module that blocks known bad sites and downloads, the cost is minimal, I have it on all my systems along with family members and friends. 

 

On my system all I use is the windows built in Windows Defender, its been upgraded in windows 10 and  is a bit more powerful , I also run the Pro Version of Malwarebytes and also the Pro Version of Malwarebytes Anti Exploit. With what I do on the forums searching for different odd file names and whatever I have to be real careful and so far I have been just fine

If this does come back I will have to go with foxfire. You have done so much and there are no words but Thank You for everything.  Will keep your suggestion in my email and begin to change each of these over to the Pro Version per your suggestion. Again, thanks for everything!

Your welcome Wendy. But running the tools we did on other users computers appeared to remove this, so if it comes back lets start over from square one

3 Days later and no signs of totaladperfomance or adexchange. I d/l Super Ad Blocker extension  which includes the Facebook blocker, pintrest button, but did not not put the Trend Micro. Looks like perhaps you got it! Thanks again!

Morning Wendy,

 

Thats great, glad its gone. Just double check and make sure its not hiding

 

 
  • Open Chrome
  • Click the Chrome menu [external image: Clipboard01_zps2e55f676.jpg]on the browser toolbar.
  • Click on Settings
  • Then Manage Search Engines
  • Highlite Total Ad Performance or TotalAdPerformance and select Delete
  • Then go to Other Search Engines and remove all you dont want
  •  
    • Click the Chrome menu [external image: Clipboard01_zps2e55f676.jpg]on the browser toolbar.
    • Click on Settings
    • Open a specific page or set of pages.
    • Set Pages
    • Remove Total Ad Performance or TotalAdPerformance 
    • You can copy and paste the url from a page you like or if you have that page open select use current
    • OK your way out and close chome.
    • Reopen Chrome and make sure your start page is the one you want
    •  
      • Open Chrome
      • Click the Chrome menu [external image: Clipboard01_zps2e55f676.jpg]on the browser toolbar.
      • Click on History
      • Click on Clear Browsing History
      • Check 
      • 1. Browsing History
        2. Cookies and Site Plug Ins
        3. Cached Images and Files
      • Then ok your way out and close Chrome
      •  
        • Open Chrome
        • Click the Chrome menu [external image: Clipboard01_zps2e55f676.jpg]on the browser toolbar.
        • Then go to Settings > Show Advanced Settings 
        • Then go to Privacy > Content Settings
        • Plug Ins > Manage Exceptions > Delete any reference to Total Ad Performance 
        • Pop Ups > Manage Exceptions > Remove any reference to Total Ad Performance 
        • Ok your way out and close Chome, then reopen it and see if Total Ad Performance are gone from your pages
        • Here it is over a week and nothing! You Got IT! It is nice to cruise the web without the fear of either one of those malware jumping up. Thank you so much Ken!

          Wonderful, glad to hear  :thumbup:

           

          If it comes back in the future or if you have any other problems you can just start a New Topic or send me a PM and I will reopen this one

           

          Nice working with you, you followed my instructions very well

           

          Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool again.
          •  
          • Click on the Uninstall button.
          • Click Yes when asked are you sure you want to uninstall.
          • Both AdwCleaner.exe, its folder and all logs will be removed.
           
           
           
          ==========================================================
           
           
          Please download DelFix and save the file to your Desktop.
           
          [external image: DelFix_zps139e2ea1.jpg]
           
          •  
          • Windows XP Double Click DelFix.exe to run the program. 
          • Windows Vista > Win 7 > Win 8 Right Click on DelFix.exe and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR 
          • Checkmark " Remove Disinfection Tools"
          • Click the Run button
           
           
          This will remove the specialised tools we used to clean your system. Any leftover logs, files, folders or tools remaining on your Desktop which were not removed can be deleted manually
           
           
           
          ==========================================================
           
           
           
           
          How did I get infected in the first place ?
           
          •  
          • Grinler BleepingComputer
          • GeeksTo Go
          • Dslreports
           
           
           
          Safe Surfn
          Ken
           
           
           
           

          Log from DelFix:

          # DelFix v1.011 - Logfile created 26/08/2015 at 12:57:02
          # Updated 18/08/2015 by Xplode
          # Username : Wendy - HOPE2
          # Operating System : Windows 10 Home  (64 bits)

          ~ Removing disinfection tools …

          Deleted : C:\FRST
          Deleted : C:\AdwCleaner
          Deleted : C:\Users\Wendy\Desktop\aswMBR.exe
          Deleted : C:\Users\Wendy\Desktop\FRST64.exe
          Deleted : C:\Users\Wendy\Desktop\FRST64.zip
          Deleted : C:\Users\Wendy\Desktop\JRT.exe
          Deleted : C:\Users\Wendy\Desktop\SystemLook_x64.exe
          Deleted : C:\Users\Wendy\Downloads\aswMBR.exe
          Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\AdwCleaner

          ########## - EOF - ##########

           

          Again, thanks from the bottom of my heart! I will be more vigilant. I have been online for over 16 years and never had anything like this and don't want to again!

          Wendy, what you had with TotalAdPerformance was just an annoyance, believe me there are far more serious threats going around, just use your head, dont click to open any spam messages, just delete them, most of them will install malware. 

           

          Take care young lady

           

          Ken :)

          Ask AI

          AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

          Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI