Ztruker…
Dern !!!!!..
…..
I don't have a way to mount an additional hard drive in my computer…
There aren't any extra wires or connectors to accommodate another hard drive…
I'll just copy & transfer using the flash drive…
THANKS…
Have a GREAT day & weekend…..
….
Later…Ron…
….
Movin on up to Win10 Need help...
34 min read
Another option is a USB adapter.
I use one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
Tomk;….
Thanks for that info….
""Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2" is a GREAT idea…
….
I'll consider that very seriously !!!!..
Have a GREAT day & weekend….
Later….Ron.M….
…..
Everybody;…
Update;…
I am now using Win 8.1 & I like it so far….
I briefly got the Win 10 Icon in my task tray , but , it is now gone…
I'm still in the running for the free Win 10 upgrade according to the MS update website…
I am now on a MUCH faster dial-up with Centurylink..
Have 1.5 MBsps vs 5 KBsps with NetZero…
Altho , I'm not getting the full 1.5 MBsps , it's still VERY fast…
THANKS to ALL for your EXCELLENT advice & help…
…
….
Ztruker;…
Have a question about;=>.
http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx
I was wondering if I used the above program on my WinXP hard drive;=>..
I would make a flash drive with it…
Could I transfer what that program put on the flash drive to the Win 8.1 hard drive & would it cause any complications with opening up the files &/or the data it got ???
That seems like an easy & CHEAP way to get all my data & files from one OS to the other OS..
THANKS again…
Later…Ron.M…
…
Is the XP drive SATA or IDE? If SATA then you could install it in your new computer, connecting it to a lower number SATA port. You boot drive should be on port ) and the XP could be on port 1 or 2 or 3.
Then it's simply copy from one drive to the other.
If you can't install it in the new computer you could try using Macrium to image the XP drive to a large flash drive. Not sure how big the drive is or what the largest size flash drive you have is.
That means you would have to install Macrium Reflect Free on the new computer as well so you could access the image from the flash drive to copy it to the new computer.
Ztruker;…
I have only one computer that I'm working with….
Both the hard drives (The new one & the 40 GB) are sata drives…
There are no extra connectors or extra wiring to have both hard drives hooked up at the same time…
I simply switch the hard drives as needed..
That means you would have to install Macrium Reflect Free on the new computer as well so you could access the image from the flash drive to copy it to the new computer.
Ok…
When I open up the flash drive on the new "computer" (actually the new hard drive) , is that going to make a copy of WinXP or just the data , files & pix etc ???
THANKS…
I have 16 GB & 8 GB flash drives..
Either one should do the job…
Later….Ron.M…
….
Macrium creates an image backup, that's basically a bit for bit copy of the hard drive. Not something you need. I think you would be better off copying just your data (docs, pics, music, etc) using Windows Explorer.
Ztruker;…
Looks like we dodged a huge bullet there…
…
Might have overwritten Win8 with that !!!..
…
I'll go back to my original plan…
THANKS for the effort…
…
Later…Ron.M….
….
Dear People;….
So far I'm liking Win8….
I have 2 questions concerning Win 10's arrival at my computer…
I intend to wait awhile till some of the bugs etc are worked out of Win 10 before I take the leap of faith…
I intend to make a copy of what I have now (Win8.1 with ALL updates) using "ReflectDL"…
1)..
Should I have a catastrophic failure that would require a re-install of Win8.1 , will ReflectDL restore not only all my data , pix , files , etc , but , will it be an "Activated" copy or will I lose that activation ???
I'm thinking miles down the road here….
After all , nothing lasts forever…
2)..
I would like to make an ISO image/copy of Win 10 , again with ReflectDL or rufus , BEFORE it's installed on my computer…
IS that possible or does MS go for the jugular & directly install it ???
THANKS SO VERY MUCH for your anticipated help & EXPERT advice !!!….
…
Later…Ron.M….
…
Hi Ron, glad you are enjoying Win 8.1.
1. It will be exactly as it is when the backup image is created, fully activated.
2. Use the MediaCreationTool from Microsoft to download the necessary files then create a ISO. Save the ISO somewhere so you can use it to burn a DVD or create a flash drive to install with.
Since you have Win 8.1, all you need to do to upgrade to Windows 10 is mount the ISO (right click on it, select Mount) then run setup.exe from the mounted ISO. The upgrade will begin. I've done this quite a few times now with no problems.
Don't forget to create the Macrium Rescue Disc or flash drive from Macrium itself.You will need that if you ever what to restore the backup image you create.
Ztruker;…
That's pretty much what I intend to do….
Specifically;..
Make a Macrium flash drive copy of Win 8 as it is now…
Then make a ISO copy (On another flash drive) of Win 10 BEFORE it's installed..
Plan has changed..^^^ Not going to do that ^^^…
Instead;=>..
OK, I see that at the MS site;=>..
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install
I can just put Win 10 directly (setup.exe style) on a flash drive without making an ISO …
So that's the way I'd like to go…
Seems like an easier way to do it…
The reason is that IF I'm not happy with Win 10 or have a major catastrophic hard drive failure , I can easily go back to Win 8 with all my original files , pix & data etc , without doing a complete re-install..
All that look OK to you ???
THANKS …
Later…Ron.M….
….
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI