Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93090 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

removing a boot partition from a drive in windows

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

Hi

Some of you will remember my posting about getting a new pc that came with a drive.  There was no OS with the pc.  The drive is empty.  The drive is the quandary of this post.  It is a 1TB drive, already formatted with a 351mb unallocated partition, probably for the boot section.

I don't want to use the drive for windows itself, as I have a drive for that.  I want to use the drive for storing info, video, music etc, but I would have to get rid of the 350 mb section at the start of the drive first and format it as one partition, before repartitioning to suit my needs.

I followed an article by HTG using Diskpart on this, but on finishing I got this this response:

"Virtual Disk Service Error.  Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume".

Does anyone know how else to get rid of this partition.  Delete obviously is missing in disk management.  Or is it a case of contacting the suppliers of the pc to find out?

Thanks for reading and in advance for any help offered.

hedley

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:23 AM

see if this helps you :- http://www.sevenforu...rt-command.html

:popcorn:

#3 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hi terry, thanks for your reply. Sorry to say I got the same response at the end. Still says Virtual Disk Service error, etc, etc.
Shall have to think of something else.

Thanks for the help. Appreciated, as always.
hedley

#4 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 17 May 2015 - 05:38 PM

You need to run diskpart from a booted installation disc/flash drive.Once it's been cleaned, remove it and install your other HDD to install to then once that's done put the 1TB HDD in as a lower SATA or IDE port.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#5 hedley93

hedley93

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

Hi Ztrucker, thanks for the reply.  Ok.  I've read a post on SevenForums on what I think you're talking about, so I'll start and you can correct me if I'm wrong.  I have to create a usb thumb drive of windows 7/diskpart to install on this drive which will have to, for now, replace my present c: drive. 

After I install windows I use diskpart on it initialize, format, etc. and then re-install windows again onto the drive I'm going to use it on, or just reinsert the drive?

Also, in his article Brink mentioned that if you have UEFI instead of BIOS motherboard, you will need to use FAT32 and not NTFS.  I have UEFI, but I have it set as CSM enabled, which I'm told is the same as the old BIOS settings.  So, would I still have to change the settings, do you think?  Sorry, not up on these things, I'm afraid.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated, as always.

hedley   

#6 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

Disable Secure Boot.

Enable CSM.

Use NTFS, not FAT32.

You really don't need to use diskpart. You can simply delete the partitions on the 1TB by booting the Win 7 install DVD and delete the partitions from there then create one new on that spans the entire disk and do a Quick Format (NTFS).

Quit the install.

Power off.

Remove 1TB drive, insert SSD.

Boot install disk.

Delete all partitions, if any, on the SSD then click Next without creating any. The installer will create what it needs then continue the install.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown