This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Firefox keeps bringing up last site viewed when reopened

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

 

I believe I'm having an issue with FF, however this started just after being redirected to a site when I was browsing.

 

Whenever I close FF and reopen it, it brings up the last site I was logged into. I have checked my settings in both FF and Windows Control Panel, and they are set to what I want, which is when FF opens, it should open to a blank page. Now, if I run CCleaner, it will actually do it - once, then revert back.

 

I have run MWBytes, Norton AV and nothing comes up. I recently installed Win 8.1 and it was running fine until this browsing issue. Am I infected with some sort of Malware/virus, hijacker or is something overriding my settings that I can't see?

 

Any help will be appreciated.

 

Thanks,

 

Taz

Hi tasman27,

 

I'm not sure what the problem is.. but let's try something easy first.

 

With Firefox open, left click on the three little bars in the upper right of your screen, then click on options.

 

Click on the first button on the left at the top that says General.

 

Three lines down on the page it should say: "When Firefox starts:"

 

Please tell me what it says in the box to the right of that statement.

Yeah well.. it was unlikely that it was that easy.

How about you try setting a home page and then see what happens? If it works as expected… then you can set it back to a blank page.

Ok…so I set a home page for a bookmark I have. Closed the browser and reopened it and viola, there was the bookmarked page. Then, I changed the home page to Mozilla keeping the "dropdown" to "show my homepage". Closed the browser and reopened it. The Mozilla page comes up in a flasn, and then the PREVIOUS page (the bookmarked one) comes up right after it in like 1 second and stays.

 

Seems to me like something is taking over the browser….what do you think?

 

Taz

What Add-ons and Extensions are you using?

 

Select Add-ons from the 3 bar drop down window and see what shows. Disable all of them then see if the problem still occurs. If not then one of them is the problem, so start enabling them a few at a time and testing till you find it.

That did the trick Tom! I would have probably just done this myself except I wasn't aware of a "reset" mode on Firefox!

 

Thanks so much for your assistance! Once again WTT pulls me out of the crap with these newfangled contraptions….:)

 

 

Thanks again Tom!

 

Taz

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI