Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Firefox keeps bringing up last site viewed when reopened

Firefox

Best Answer tasman27 , 25 February 2015 - 09:38 PM

That did the trick Tom! I would have probably just done this myself except I wasn't aware of a "reset" mode on Firefox! Thanks so much for your assistance! Once again WTT pulls me out of the carp** with these newfangled contraptions.... ... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

I believe I'm having an issue with FF, however this started just after being redirected to a site when I was browsing.

Whenever I close FF and reopen it, it brings up the last site I was logged into. I have checked my settings in both FF and Windows Control Panel, and they are set to what I want, which is when FF opens, it should open to a blank page. Now, if I run CCleaner, it will actually do it - once, then revert back.

I have run MWBytes, Norton AV and nothing comes up. I recently installed Win 8.1 and it was running fine until this browsing issue. Am I infected with some sort of Malware/virus, hijacker or is something overriding my settings that I can't see?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Taz

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:07 PM

Hi tasman27,

I'm not sure what the problem is.. but let's try something easy first.

With Firefox open, left click on the three little bars in the upper right of your screen, then click on options.

Click on the first button on the left at the top that says General.

Three lines down on the page it should say: "When Firefox starts:"

Please tell me what it says in the box to the right of that statement.

Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#3 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:15 PM

Hi Tom,

Doing what you instructed, it says "Show a blank page" and the home page is set to blank.

#4 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:33 PM

Yeah well.. it was unlikely that it was that easy.

How about you try setting a home page and then see what happens? If it works as expected... then you can set it back to a blank page.
Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#5 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

Ok...so I set a home page for a bookmark I have. Closed the browser and reopened it and viola, there was the bookmarked page. Then, I changed the home page to Mozilla keeping the "dropdown" to "show my homepage". Closed the browser and reopened it. The Mozilla page comes up in a flasn, and then the PREVIOUS page (the bookmarked one) comes up right after it in like 1 second and stays.

Seems to me like something is taking over the browser....what do you think?

Taz

#6 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

I doesn't sound like it's operating as it should.

Perhaps you can "start fresh" by resetting Firefox.  If that doesn't work, then I suggest you post in the malware forum so someone can look at some logs.

Tomk
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

What Add-ons and Extensions are you using?

Select Add-ons from the 3 bar drop down window and see what shows. Disable all of them then see if the problem still occurs. If not then one of them is the problem, so start enabling them a few at a time and testing till you find it.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#8 tasman27

tasman27

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:38 PM   Best Answer

That did the trick Tom! I would have probably just done this myself except I wasn't aware of a "reset" mode on Firefox!

Thanks so much for your assistance! Once again WTT pulls me out of the carp** with these newfangled contraptions....:)

Thanks again Tom!

Taz

#9 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

Glad it worked.

Good luck and be well. :wavey:

Tomk