Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93081 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Possible infection still remaining? [Closed]

Vosteran virus windows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 AJC3

AJC3

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

My niece used my laptop this morning and attempted to download a DVD ripper from DVDshrinker.org.  Apparently, this software is defunct and she ended up downloading something that was called FileOpener (I think that's what it was called.) and a host of other malware.  My search engine was hijacked to Vosteran.  Norton logs show that something called Suspicious Cloud 9 was prevented from installing.  

I've run Malwarebytes (the free version, if that makes a difference) and 17 items were identified and removed (most appeared to be related to Vosteran in some way).  I also ran Norton and it only found a handful of tracking cookies. My computer seems to run a little slower now, but that may be my paranoia.  As I don't know everything she clicked and or what she may have given permission to, I worry that something remains.  I've attached the logs for your review and I appreciate any help or advice that you can give.  Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.  Thank you so much!

Attached Files

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 ----------------

----------------

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:47 AM

Hi there,
my name is Marius and I will assist you with your malware related problems.

Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.

• First, read my instructions completely. If there is anything that you do not understand kindly ask before proceeding.
  • Perform everything in the correct order. Sometimes one step requires the previous one.
  • If you have any problems while following my instructions, Stop there and tell me the exact nature of your problem.
  • Do not run any other scans without instruction or add/remove software unless I tell you to do so. This would change the output of our tools and could be confusing for me.
  • Post all logfiles as a reply rather than as an attachment unless I specifically ask you. If you can not post all logfiles in one reply, feel free to use more posts.
  • If I don't hear from you within 3 days from this initial or any subsequent post, then this thread will be closed.
  • Stay with me. I will give you some advice about prevention after the cleanup process. Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean.
  • My first language is not english. So please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to read. Thanks for your understanding.
  • Important: To help me reviewing your logs, please post them in code boxes. You can create them by clicking on the <>-symbol on top of the reply window.

We need to remove some programs with Revo Uninstaller Free:

Note: Revo Uninstaller is more thorough in deleting programs on your computer than using the Add/Remove option in Windows. Since it is a more powerful tool, please be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
Note: If the program you want to uninstall is not listed by Revo, let me know and we will try an altenate method of removal.

• Please download and install Revo Uninstaller Free
    note: there is no need to click anything on that page, the download will start automatically
  • Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it
  • From the list of programs double click on the listed program(s), or anything similar, to remove it:
    Groupon
  • When prompted if you want to uninstall click Yes
  • Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next
  • The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
  • When the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next
  • Once the program has searched for leftovers click Next
  • Check the items in bold only on the list then click Delete
    note: you may have to expand some folders by clicking the "+" mark
  • When prompted click on Yes and then on Next
  • Put a check on any folders that are found and select Delete
  • When prompted select Yes then Next
  • Once done click Finish

Fix with FRST (normal mode)

WARNING: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

• Download the attached fixlist.txt and save it to the location where FRST is saved to.
  • Run FRST.exe (on 64bit, run FRST64.exe) and press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • The tool will make a log (Fixlog.txt) which you find where you saved FRST. Please post it to your reply.

Full System Scan with Malwarebytes Antimalware

• If not existing, please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click the downloaded setup file and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:
    • Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    • A 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may deselect this if you wish, and it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.
  • Click Finish.

If the program is already installed:

• Run Malwarebytes Antimalware
  • On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link
  • After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
  • Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.
  • If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
  • A Threat Scan will begin.
  • When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
  • In most cases, a restart will be required.
  • Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

• After the restart once you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.
  • Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
  • Double click on the scan log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
  • Click 'Copy to Clipboard'
  • Paste the contents of the clipboard into your reply.

Attached Files

Proud Member of UNITE & TB

#3 ----------------

----------------

SuperMember

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

Due to inactivity this topic will be closed.
If you need help please start a new thread.

New members follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html and start a new topic
Proud Member of UNITE & TB