This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Was sent here by expert from the spy bot forums

37 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Still having minor problems with the mouse occasionally disappearing or freezing. It seems to help if I use the 'windows' button and go back and forth from firefox to windows start page and back a few times while scrolling my finger around the touch pad, seems to get it moving again. Also, I still have the on screen key board, the magnifier  and the voice narrator on restart. The combo windows + esc gets rid of the magnifier. The combo Fn + enter gets me a window to exit the narrator. I havent found a way out of the on screen key board that doesnt use the pointer. They are all pinned to the start menu. Is it okay if I can find a way to un pin them?

yes, these are probably in msconfig

let's try something

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Start Firefox in Safe Mode https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode
While you are in safe mode; Press the or key to bring up the tool bar. Followed by;

Windows; Tools > Options Linux; Edit > Preferences Mac; application name > Preferences

Then Advanced > General. Look for and turn off Use Hardware Acceleration.

Step 1

a. Open Mouse by right clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Hardware, and then clicking Mouse.
b. Click the Pointer Options tab, and then do any of the following:

To change the speed at which the mouse pointer moves, move the Select a pointer speed slider towards Slow or Fast.
To make the pointer work more accurately when you're moving the mouse slowly, select the Enhance pointer precision check box.
To speed the process of selecting a choice when a dialog box appears, select the automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box check box.
To make the pointer easier to find when you move it, select the Display pointer trails check box, and then move the slider towards Short or Long to decrease or increase the length of the pointer trail.
To ensure that the pointer doesn't block your view of the text you're typing, select the Hide pointer while typing check box.
To find a misplaced pointer by pressing the CTRL key, select the Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key check box.

Step 2

a. Right click Start button

b. Click Control Panel

c. Click Hardware and then click Mouse.

d. Click the Pointer Options tab, and then do the following. Uncheck the Hide pointer while typing box.

e. Click apply and then ok.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

read over this article to get into Device Manager
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/where-is-device-manager

Go to Generic USB Hub (both of them) in Device Manager.

Go to the Power Management tab

Uncheck the box about allowing the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Restart.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-hardware/touchpad-freezescursor-disappears-on-windows-81/82733d54-b1d3-43f6-9a8d-437ff2398f18?page=1
explained in the above link
Go here to download HJT
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/hijackthis/
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.

My system denied write access to the host file. Wants me to edit the file myself? The HJT.

 

It wants me to upgrade to 8.1

what wants you to upgrade?

 

One of the pages you had me go to said something about I should upgrade to 8.1…. Another time something came up that said my upgrade to 8.1 was ready and all I had to do is reboot or I could wait or be reminded later. I chose remind me later. but sounds like next reboot it will be installed?

 

 

It wants me to upgrade to 8.1

what wants you to upgrade?

 

One of the pages you had me go to said something about I should upgrade to 8.1…. Another time something came up that said my upgrade to 8.1 was ready and all I had to do is reboot or I could wait or be reminded later. I chose remind me later. but sounds like next reboot it will be installed?

 

When I reboot I use the key "update and restart"…. Maybe thats part of the update? Maybe I should be restarting another way?

 

My system denied write access to the host file. Wants me to edit the file myself? The HJT.

 

HJT will run anyways….just continue with that

 

As far windows updates,  I think the most simple way is to just click restart.

But I don't work off a Windows 8 machine so,  better I guess to use the way your most comfortable with or what works best for you.

Another thing came to mind,  if you disable touch pad with the mouse work then?

Im not sure I get the question? I am not using a mouse, I use my touch pad to scroll the pointer and it is working 98 % of the time correctly.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI