Just now saw your reply… I'm in a reset, I think it is different from a factory restore?? Sould I abort? I have to leave for work, it might be done when I get home… Ahhhhh!
I'm back and it's trying for me to do the set up, sign license agreement etc.. But still no mouse… Guess I will have to keep rebooting until I get a mouse pointer and see if I can get to the point where I can get Internet access and start getting some drivers working again.
Somehow got set through without a mouse… Now I am stuck with some on screen key board that I can't get rid of? Please get this off my screen and I will be fine
Okay started my mozy restore and went to the dell driver site and checking for driver updates etc… The screen pointer seems to be working a bit better, but still freezes up often making the going slow. Any advice on what my priorities are right now?
Okay… 2 days of no mouse pointer and an annoying on screen key board stuck in the middle of the screen and constant shutting down and rebooting, was this close to throwing computer in the trash and then, not sure what I did, booted with a pointer which seems to be stable so far… Able to start a restore again, checking hardware issues… Not planning on turning the power off any time soon… Things are running pretty normally right now, or even better than before since I am using my touch pad instead of an external mouse like before. Will report any issues and updates… Any advice appreciated!
I am willing to try anything suggested, Its just that I am not very savvy… I don't know what a stick is? I don't know what DOS is either. I don't know what a CMOS battery is. I don't know how to find out what kind of drive make I have either. I will try to find it though.
I did try dell diagnostics but the results did not show…. here is what I got
Product Support
×
System analysis complete
We have analyzed your system and have results for a {0} ({1}). Do you want to view these results or return to support for {2}?
View Results Return to Product Support
Scan is in progress
We’re sorry, we encountered a problem and were unable to complete the service tag detection. You can either Try Again or Cancel to select another option.
Try AgainCancel
0
0
[external image: processing.gif]
Scan is in progress
After the Dell System Detect software download is complete (this may take a few minutes), follow your browser’s instructions to proceed with installation.
Dell System Detect installer Download:
Click here if Dell System Detect installer download does not start in few seconds
Follow below steps if installation does not begin automatically after downloaded:
1. Check the downloaded file in the bottom left corner of the browser window or press Ctrl + J to open downloader window.
2. Find the DellSystemDetect file from the downloader window or downloaded location.
3. Double Click the downloaded file to initiate installation. Please note the installer requires administrative rights to install.
4. Click the Install button in the wizard to complete installation and launch the Dell System Detect application.
DSD has been downloaded to your system. Please install the downloaded application to continue with the Scan process…
0
0
[external image: processing.gif]
Scan is in progress
Please wait. This may take a few minutes.
Obtaining required tools
Updating Dell System Detect
Installing My Dell client
Obtaining selected diagnostics
Running selected diagnostics
Creating diagnostic report
×
[external image: processing.gif]
Diagnostic in progress - Please do not close this window. Navigating away from this page could result in an interruption of the application. When the diagnosis is complete you will be sent to a results page.
A diagnostic category to be used does not exist. This can happen when there are problems downloading the category file from the DSC cloud and the local version must be used.
The Dell System Detect application may not be running on your computer. Click Download button to install.
Download
We are scanning your device to see if you have the Dell System Detect tool installed. If not, we’ll prompt you to install it. This tool gathers system information so we can determine if the My Dell diagnostics application can run on your device.You must be logged in as an administrator to run Dell System Detect in your browser.
If the download doesn't begin within few seconds,Click here
Follow below steps if installation does not begin automatically after download:
Step 1:
IE and Chrome - Check the downloaded file in the bottom left corner of the browser window or press Ctrl + J to open downloader window.
Firefox – Click Downloads under Tools menu or press Ctrl + J to open downloader window.
Opera – Click the Downloads toolbar button(down arrow) right of the URL box or press Ctrl + J to open downloader window.
Safari – Click Downloads under Settings button or press Ctrl + Alt + L to open downloader window.
Step 2:Find the DellSystemDetect file from the downloader window or downloaded location.
Step 3:Double Click the downloaded file to initiate installation. Please note the installer requires administrative rights to install.
Step 4: Click the Install button in the wizard to complete installation and launch the Dell System Detect application.Installing My Dell for the first time takes a few minutes. If prompted, allow My Dell to make changes to your computer.Please wait a few moments while we gather your device details for the diagnostics that you selected. Please click yes to all browser prompts to complete your diagnostic.Please note another popup screen may be displaying your detailed diagnostic scan. Some tests may display graphics or a status dialog box, and some tests may require your participation.My Dell is gathering the results of the diagnostic scans that were completed and preparing a report for you. Please wait while we return you to the diagnostics results page.
A diagnostic category to be used does not exist. This can happen when there are problems downloading the category file from the DSC cloud and the local version must be used.