Wow.. I just spent a half hour typing up an in depth article for you just to have it disappear on me.
I will attempt to type up everything again a second time, which is absolutely ridiculous.
The proper way to perform a data recovery procedure is to first clone the hard drive to another drive. You do this because if you make a mistake on the drive you are only working on the cloned data and not on the original. You can re-cloan and start again. The second reason you want to clone is because if the questionable drive has bad sectors it can make it nearly impossible to "repair" any partitions or file systems, and also make it very difficult just to extract the data. By cloning the drive you can take the bad sectors out of the picture and get the data off the drive as quickly as possible before you lose any more data.
The program I use to clone a hard drive is called
DiskPatch. It is likely the best investment in software I have ever made. DiskPatch is designed to quickly clone a drive, skipping bad sectors efficiently and effectively, to get the data off the drive before any more is lost. You will need a second hard drive of equal or larger size in order to clone the data to.
Its imperative that you perform a surface scan on this hard drive in order to make sure that it is not failing from bad sectors. Becasue your drive "suddenly" acted up, it is likely that there are bad sectors at the root of it. The best program ever created, by far, to scan for, and recover from, bad sectors is called
SpinRite. It is able to scan the entire drive, regardless of its current condition, and allow you to ensure that there are no bad sectors, or lock out bad sectors if they are found. More than a few and the drive is bad. Replace it.
Now, I am going to assume that this is not mission critical data. I am going to assume that it is only "convenience" data. It would be convenient if you could get the data off the drive. Therefore, you probably don't want to buy another 500Gb HD, DiskPatch, SpinRite, and the next program I am about to tell you about.
It is likely that you already did too much damage to the drive to actually recover your original partitions. Remember, every time you make changes to the drive you reduce your chances of being able to recover any data from the drive.
There is a program called
FileScavenger that I have had nearly 100% success with in recovering data. It will not repair your partitions, but it can access any part of the file system that is still intact, and even scan the RAW data of your hard drive rebuilding files such as documents, pictures, and music. When you use FileScavenger you will want to tell it to do a long scan on the specific drive causing you problems. It will give you options to scan valid partitions and drive letters such as C:, D:, E:, but it will also list Drive0, Drive1, etc. You will want to scan the entire drive looking for your data. I believe they have a demo you can try to prove to yourself if it can find and recover the data you are looking for. If there are bad sectors, FileScavenger will have trouble and report errors to you. (Read errors on certain sectors = bad sectors)
Regardless of what you do to get the data off the drive, you will want to make sure you perform the surface scan on the hard drive, or it could continue to give you problems or fail all together in the near future. Once the data is off the drive, you can repartition, and reformat the hard drive. You can then use the built in Windows "chkdsk" command in order to scan the hard drive for bad sectors. You will need to issue the
chkdsk /r command on all drive letters corresponding with each partition of the questionable drive. Be patient while chkdsk scans the drive for bad clusters (a group of sectors), and keep your eye open for "Windows replacing bad clusters." More than a few of these and you can be nearly certain the drive is failing. Time to see if it has a warranty.
Remember, you should not be experimenting on this drive such as you have if you have any critical data on this drive. It should be taken to a place that has the necessary software, tools, and experience to get the data off the drive without doing more damage. Although, I would be careful, as I doubt most local computer shops would meet the above criteria.
Using the programs I mentioned above, I have been nearly 100% successful recovering important data including drives that have thousands upon thousands of bad sectors and are completely trashed.
If you have any questions, please feel welcome to ask.
My original post was much better but there is something about trying to type the same thing twice!
