This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

my internet only works when i put my computer in "Safe Mode with n

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

when i open Internet Explorer in normal mode the IE/internet screen is blank/white.

a box pops up & says "MSN.com is not working". the only option on the box is the click on the "recover webpage" button.

when i click on it a box pops up & says "windows is checking for solutions".

when it's done checking, a box pops up & says "internet explorer stopped working. a pronlem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program & notify you if a solution is available". the only option on that box is to click on the "close program" button. so i click on that, which closes the IE/internet screen.

 

each time i try to open the IE/internet it's the same thing.

 

however when i put my computer in "Safe Mode with networking" the internet/IE works with no problems!

 

can anyoone tell me what could be causing this?

how can i fix it?

My only guesses are it's either become corrupted, or is being blocked by something, either a firewall, or worse an infection, to keep running in safe mode is NOT safe, especially at a time like this when there could be anything going on, I don't know what you have in the way of protection, but I suggest Launch (1 at a time if you have more than 1), Update, then run Full\Deep Scans (whatever suggests it will do the whole system).

 

See what these comer back as, if anything is found it may be worth getting the pro's to check you out, but we can figure that out when you have the results of the scan(s), should you not have any protection, or want to try another, Mbam is a great and well respected tool (assuming you don't already have it), if you are forced to use safe mode to get this, then go direct via these links, I also suggest getting Chrome while you have to do this, at least you can have a browser that will work normally, instead of in safe mode, and it means you will be safer while sorting this out, see what this brings and we can go from there.

I don't know what you have in the way of protection, but I suggest Launch (1 at a time if you have more than 1), Update, then run Full\Deep Scans (whatever suggests it will do the whole system).

 

i've got Avast! free anti-virus.

can i do a full scan while in Safe Mode?

You should be able too, I've not used it for a long time now, although I still put it on most systems I touch, but it would cost nothing to try, what I suggest if your doing that, is to update Avast when connected to the net, then when you go into safe mode (just before you do), disconnect the net, e.g. remove the Ethernet lead if you have a wired connection, or turn the router off if need be, if they run great stuff, if not we can think again.

 

But if your doing this, I suggest getting the other software I linked above (unless you already have it), install and fully update, then you can try each in safe mode, only run 1 scan at a time, and turn off\exit\disable any protection running (assuming what you have run is still active when you start the next scan), as they "could" be some conflict, unlikely given what you have, but better safe than sorry, here's hoping it gives us some clues as to what is going on.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI