Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Slow computer [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#16 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

Hi Guyl,

Not so much in the way of challenges, it's just not showing any real issues that might be behind the problems you have been encountering.

Let's try a stronger tool and see if it turns up anything relevant.

bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif ComboFix

Refer to the ComboFix User's Guide

• Download ComboFix from the following location:

Link

* IMPORTANT !!! Place ComboFix.exe on your Desktop
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with ComboFix.
    You can get help on disabling your protection programs here
  • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
  • Your desktop may go blank. This is normal. It will return when ComboFix is done. ComboFix may reboot your machine. This is normal.
  • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply

Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Ensure your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications are re-enabled.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------NOTE: If you encounter a message "illegal operation attempted on registry key that has been marked for deletion" and no programs will run - please just reboot and that will resolve that error.

=========================

In your next post please provide the following:
    • Combofix.txt

OCD

Proud Graduate of WTT Classroom
Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

Two things, first when I tried to d/l Combofix McAfee gave me a warning about Combofix that I ignored because it has done that in the past.  So, when I go to open the file I get a popup that says McAfee has detected a trojan on your computer - a reboot is necessary to get rid of it but you can reboot later if you want.  I've never received that message before.  I assume it has to do with Combofix because I got it right as I tried to open that file.  Should I hit the "reboot later" button and go on with it?  Also, she has a screen saver on the computer.  The instructions say don't mouse over Combofix or it may lock up.  How do I awaken the screen if Combofix takes longer to run than what she has the screen saver set for?  Can I just hit a key on the keyboard?

The second thing is, I was just curious about your comment about trying something stronger this time.  If Combofix is stronger why not just run it first and see what happens?  Not questioning, just curious if there's a reason behind it.

#18 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

Hi Guyl,

1. Disable the screensaver before beginning, you can re-enable it after you run the scan. That will prevent any possible issues while running the scan.

2. I can assure you the file is safe. Just select reboot later and continue. If your anti-virus software still won't allow you to download it rename the Combofix file, (ie guyl.exe) before saving it.

3.Good question about just running Combofix first. The symptoms you were describing, and the items found in your preliminary scans didn't indicate the need to run it early on. But since those scans are really not giving any indication as to the cause of your issues I thought it prudent to use some more muscle and see if she gives up some information.

OCD

Member of UNITE

If you are satisfied with the help you have received, please consider making a donation.

#19 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

Here's the log:

Sorry, I couldn't get copy/paste to work.  Had to attach the file.

#20 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

Maybe the file will attach this time.

Attached Files

#21 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Hi Guyl,

The good and bad news is the Combofix log showed no signs of malware.

Let's try and verify the integrety of the system files on the computer.

bullseye_zpse9eaf36e.gif System File Checker (SFC)

• Click on the Start button and in the Search programs and files box type the following:
    • command
  • Don't press Enter, just let the search results populate above.
  • In the search results, locate the Programs section.
  • Locate the Command Prompt shortcut and right-click on it.
  • Select Run as administrator.
  • Click Yes on the User Account Control window that appears.
  • Important: If you see a User Account Control window but also a message that says To continue, type an administrator password, and then click Yes, then your user account must be a standard account, not an administrator account. Before you can click Yes and open an elevated command prompt, you'll need to type the password of another user on your Windows 7 computer that has administrator level privileges.
  • Note: You will not see this window at all if your User Account Control settings are turned all the way down. See How To Disable User Account Control in Windows 7 for more information.
  • An elevated Command Prompt window will appear.
    • Type: sfc /scannow (There's a space between sfc and /scannow.) , then hit Enter
  • Let the check run to completion. DO NOT reboot the PC or close the cmd window.
  • Copy & Paste the following command at the Command Prompt and press Enter
    • findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt 
  • This will place a file on your desktop called sfcdetails.txt which contains the results of the scan.
  • Copy and Paste the contents of the file into your next post.
  • After the scan runs type exit to close the command prompt window

=========================

In your next post please provide the following:

• sfcdetails.txt

OCD

Member of UNITE

#22 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

Why won't this thing allow me to copy and paste anymore?

Attached Files

#23 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Hi Guyl,

Why won't this thing allow me to copy and paste anymore?

If you run into problems being able to paste logs into the reply window, please click the toggle switch in the menu and retry. The menu will be greyed out when you can paste into the window.

WTTtoggleswitch_zpsd2b76942.gif

Unfortunately, the SFC results appear to be normal. Any files that had issues were repaired.

At this point, I'm leaning towards this not being a malware related problem. And I'm not sure how else I may be able to help. I hate to keep bouncing you back and forth, but maybe since we were able to rule out malware the Tech Team might have other ideas.

OCD

Member of UNITE

#24 Guyl

Guyl

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:03 AM

I appreciate all your help.  Hopefully, she has a clean machine at this point and we just need to figure out what is causing the slowness.  It seems to have reverted back to being slow again with regards to navigating again.

When you say the Tech Team, which forum are you suggesting I try?

#25 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

Hi Guyl,

When you say the Tech Team, which forum are you suggesting I try?

Go back to the forum where appleoddity was helping you and post there, appleoddity and Ztruker are still following the thread.
http://forums.whatth...c=128384&page=2

I will leave this thread open. After you finish up with the Tech Team, please come back as we have some clean up to do. I don't want to do it now so we don't remove anything prior to the Tech Team having another look.

Good Luck.

OCD

Member of UNITE

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#26 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi Guyl,

Are you ready to wrap up this thread?
OCD

Member of UNITE

#27 OCD

OCD

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 5,574 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:57 PM

Due to inactivity this topic will be closed.
If you need help please start a new thread.

New members follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html and start a new topic
OCD

Member of UNITE