Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

rootkits [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:03 AM

I just noticed on the newest version of MBAM free that rootkit detection is not enabled by default. Would you consider this to be a wise thing to enable and trust the reputation of this program that it will do the job as well as another rootkit handler?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

SuperMember

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:10 AM

Hello peter1, 

Please be advised that I am currently in training. My responses will need to be approved by one of our experts before I post them. This is only to ensure you are receiving accurate instructions. I will return as soon as possible with information on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 scanning engine

Do you require assistance with malware removal as well?

50QfLth.png

Would you like to help others with malware removal? Join our Classroom and learn how!

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:19 AM

Good luck to you, LT. I do not need help with removal thank you.

#4 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

SuperMember

• 2,566 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hello peter1, 

Good luck to you, LT.

Thank you.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 has integrated Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit technology. The programme uses a proprietary low level driver similar to some anti-rootkit (ARK) scanners to locate hidden files and special techniques which enable it to detect a wide spectrum of threats including active rootkits. Whilst not updated as often, Malwarebytes rootkit database is refreshed as and when new threats are discovered. 

For everyday scanning, enabling the ARK scan is unnecessary. Unless your machine is showing symptoms of malware, I would suggest leaving the ARK scan disabled. Should you suspect an infection, the option can be enabled to help rule out/identify a larger range of infections. 

You may wish to enable the Advanced Heuristics Engine (Shuriken) under the Detection and Protection Option. This will deploy a second layer of heuristic analysis to your scan. 

As no single product is able to detect 100% of the current threats in the wild today, Malwarebytes 2.0 may miss something a different programme picks up. Many of today's attackers employ advanced techniques which involve sophisticated BotnetsBackdoor Trojans and Rootkits to hide their presence on a computer. This is why it is important to have a multi-layered approach to your security solution. An active anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall should be sufficient in protecting your computer as long as you exercise safe surfing and Internet usage habits.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 will be just as effective in detecting rootkits as many commercial anti-rootkit scanners. If you suspect your computer is infected with a rookit, you are encouraged to seek removal assistance. If you do not suspect your computer is infected, there should be no reason to install additional software to scan for rookits. 

I hope I have answered your questions sufficiently. Please feel free to ask further questions.  :)

50QfLth.png

Would you like to help others with malware removal? Join our Classroom and learn how!

#5 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

Yes, you have done an excellent job and I thank you. I use MBAM, SpywareBlaster, Defender, SAS, behind my wpa2 router.

I will disable rootkit (I assume it is ARK)unless I suspect something. Shuriken is enabled by default.

I have the free version..

Thank you

Peter

#6 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

SuperMember

• 2,566 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:35 AM

Hello Peter, 

Yes, ARK stands for Anti-Rootkit. Rootkit scanners are often referred to as ARK Scanners. 

You may be interested in the following article on Windows Defender (W8)/Microsoft Security Essentials (W7/Vista/XP). For a paid solution, my choice of anti-virus is GzlsbnV.png ESET NOD32. For a free solution, my choice of anti-virus is 8fj6i2U.png avast! Free Anti-virus. However, please be aware that there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. What works for me may not work for you. 

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SpywareBlaster are both good security programmes. Whilst effective in the past, SUPERAntiSpyware has slipped behind competitors and is no longer an on-demand scanner I would recommend. For an on-demand scanner to complement Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, I recommend 7D2ig3K.png Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

50QfLth.png

#7 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

Thank you for the advice. I will now look Emisoft up.

It will be interesting to see if there is a free version.

#8 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

SuperMember

• 2,566 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hello Peter, 

There is indeed a free version. 

Emsisoft has both a paid and freeware version. The paid version includes anti-malware protection and uses three security levels (or layers) of protection to prevent the installation of malware and stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. These layers consist of surf protectiona dual-engine file guard, and advanced behavioral analysis. For more information on Emsisoft Anti-Malware, please refer to the following article.

The freeware version can only be used as an on-demand scanner. As the link shows, purchasing the $39.95 upgrade will grant the extra features described above, but is not necessary to purchase to use the freeware version as an on-demand scanner. 

Please let me know if you require further help or information on anything.  :)

50QfLth.png

#9 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

Your advice is appreciated and Emisoft deserves a good look..

#10 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

SuperMember

• 2,566 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hello Peter, 

I am very glad to have been of assistance. Best of luck with your future endeavours. :)

50QfLth.png

#11 CatByte

CatByte

Classroom Administrator

• Classroom Admin
  • 21,060 posts
  • MVP

Posted 23 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.

Microsoft MVP 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015