Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Explorer.exe was crashing constantly and computer bsods. Help!

Best Answer paws , 01 May 2014 - 01:34 AM

Hi leader 2, No need for the cbs log file at this stage, but if the new admin account is still working Ok then its a good sign.... If the problems wyou were experiencing have stopped then it may be that you can transfer the files across from the c... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 06:42 AM

Hi. A user on my computer (A Lamar) was having issues where the explorer would crash frequently and when the users would log off, switch or the computer would restart or shutdown the computer would show explorer errors regularly. There were also bsods. A helpful member named OCD worked me on my thread called Explorer.exe crashes constantly. Is it malware related? at this link http://forums.whatth...c=127940&page=1 and after a refresh and system restore the explorer errors seem to have ended, but I have still seen bsods. He analyzed the last the last bsod as best he could was unclear of how it could be remedied since it's likely a techinal issue, so he suggested that I post to this forum to get your help. Thanks for any help you can give. 

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:47 AM

Hi Leader2, I'll take a look at the logs you put in over at your virus and spyware removal forum topic and see if there's anything in them that might help with this problem.

I'll get back to you in a few minutes when I've had a chance to look at them

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

Hi leader2,
It looks like you have had a bad time with this machine, lots of hard work and effort and still suffering problems.... :(

It seems pretty clear that your machine has major problems and the refresh that you completed usually does the trick to correct Windows errors etc...... but in this case it doesn't seem to have helped...

1 did you remember to uninstall your present anti virus ....Norton??, reboot your computer then run the Norton uninstall tool (or the specific uninstall tool for the AV product concerned) and then reboot again BEFORE installing your latest Anti virus product?
Note failing to reboot after the uninstall can cause  a whole host of problems...

2 Have your tried setting up via Control Panel a new user account (with admin privileges) and running from this new account  to see if the problems persist?

3 Have you tried booting into safemode with network support ? be careful when doing this as your protections, AV etc., will not be providing full protection in safe mode, only visit trusted sites...www.bbc.co.uk for example and stay onsite, you can give your machine a good workout to see if it's better of worse or the same!... post back with your findings.

4 As to creating an image of your system this is an excellent thing to have (but you need to make sure your image is "good"....) if you have faults on your system when the image is made then the same faults will be replicated when you reimage.... So always take images when your system is running well, fast and smooth, free from virus and malicious code, junk files removed, defragged (unless using an SSD) and in your desired "perfect state"

5 It goes without saying that you should have all peripherals disconnected whilst testing things.....no flash drives present, or DVD's in the tray, or cameras or phones etc connected...... have a minimal set up if you can..... mouse, keyboard ( wired ) VDU and power....not even Ethernet cable.... then start testing....... watching for blue screens....(use this application to check on origins for blue screens) 
Who Crashed v 5.01 free home version from here:
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

If all Ok then plug in your Ethernet cable and start further testing..... keep records of what you are doing... when.... and the results, screen dumps or digital photos are useful....

To determine if we are faced with a hardware issue or a WIndows/software issue we need to try and eliminate some things so we can focus our attention on the correct area..... so  here's some more thoughts

6 Is your computer under guarantee/warranty/service agreement? or are you protected by consumer protection legislation in your location/jurisdiction that would give you rights to a repair from the vendor of your equipment? if so... this should be your first step...

7 To continue testing download an .iso of a live distribution of Linux (Linux Puppy is good) and available here:
http://puppylinux.or...est Release.htm
You will need to burn the CD as an image (a copy wont work)

You can then boot from the Puppy CD and it will run happily in RAM and will not write anything to your hard drive(unless you ask it to)..... obviously Linux is different from Windows, but you will soon get the hang of it and it will allow you to give your machine's hardware a good workout.

8 If the problems persist when using Puppy or Ubuntu or any other of the Live distros of Linux, then it's pointing towards a hardware issue.....

If it's better and runs with no problems (remember running solely from RAM its likely to be less responsive than your Windows set up...) then you are going to be looking at a full format reinstall etc.... so make sure your back ups are perfect, 100%, accurate, comprehensive, reproducible and with at least one extra copy kept safe offsite on removable media....

Post back and let us know how you get on
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 25 April 2014 - 06:05 AM.
typo

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#4 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:26 PM

Thank you paws for your help and your thorough response. I always remember you as a very helpful member on these forums. :)

Lately my health is beginning to become rather poor and it's starting to become more difficult for me to do more work on the computer so I will try to answer as best I can.

1 I believe I had ran the uninstall tool during the refresh and but when doing the system restore at a later date, I think the Webroot installed while Norton was still on the system and then I ran the uninstall tool after that and rebooted. I apologize for this error.   :blush:

2 I had not tried setting a new Admin user via the control panel to test on my computer at all and wasn't aware this was even meeded actually. I have just been working on the current users that we already have.

3 I have not gone into safe mode with network support or safe mode at all in Windows 8. I didn't know that was needed to test my computer either for this purpose. Sorry paws my knowledge in this area is more limited. 

6 Not to bypass your other steps paws and ignore your other helpful advice, but given my present health concerns and since my computer does still have a warranty period of coverage right now, you advised this as a first step.  Please let me know if this is the exact route I should definitely take. Yours and OCD's as well as any other helpers efforts are very much appreciated by myself and my family and I don't want to use your efforts if you feel my computer can no longer be service by the helpers here. If you feel that the best and only solution would be to call in a repair job then I will do that rather than take away your valued efforts from another member who needs them more than I.   ;)

Thank you very much,  :thumbup:

leader2  

Edited by leader2, 25 April 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#5 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hi leader2,
Sorry to hear about your health problems. There are one or two of us on the forum here who also have health issues so we can empathise with the your problems.

I reckon that it would be sensible to try 2 steps before going back to the vendor and seeking their help under guarantee/warranty etc...
If you don't get an improvement after having tried them both then its back to the vendor as a wise step.

1 Go into Control panel User accounts and set up a new user admin account.... if you need a steer on how to do this have a look here:
http://www.bleepingc...t-in-windows-8/

If you then log in to the new account you have just created it may have solved the problem......( there could be corruption in the files for your ususual account that were causing the problems, if so then the nsetting up of the new account may deal with it.)

Post back and let us know how you get on with this.and we can then advise the next steps
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 27 April 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#6 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 03:02 AM

Hi leader2,
Sorry to hear about your health problems. There are one or two of us on the forum here who also have health issues so we can empathise with the your problems.

I reckon that it would be sensible to try 2 steps before going back to the vendor and seeking their help under guarantee/warranty etc...
If you don't get an improvement after having tried them both then its back to the vendor as a wise step.

1 Go into Control panel User accounts and set up a new user admin account.... if you need a steer on how to do this have a look here:
http://www.bleepingc...t-in-windows-8/

If you then log in to the new account you have just created it may have solved the problem......( there could be corruption in the files for your ususual account that were causing the problems, if so then the nsetting up of the new account may deal with it.)

Post back and let us know how you get on with this.and we can then advise the next steps
Regards
paws

Thanks for your patience and understanding paws. I appreciate your help and assistance with issue and your concern about my health. :)

I made a test user and it seemed to be working fine, but as with my work on the previous thread with OCD when I ran the sfc scan this user also found corrupted files like on the A Lamar user. I just made this user a few hours ago and have done virtually nothing on it at all which made me think that something is really wrong with the computer beyond just the users themselves.

The scan generated a real CBS log that was actual text this time and not a cabinet file like when I was working with OCD before so maybe something is slightly better, but in respect for your time as a helper I don't want to post the log unless you think it's necessary. Please let me know what else I should do from here. 

Edited by leader2, 30 April 2014 - 03:04 AM.

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:34 AM   Best Answer

Hi leader 2, No need for the cbs log file at this stage, but if the new admin account is still working Ok then its a good sign....

If the problems wyou were experiencing have stopped then it may be that you can transfer the files across from the corrupted account ( A Lamar) and you will be Good to go"

Here's the steps to transfer files from the "corrupted" account to the new one: ...you can change easily the name, password etc for the new user account:

http://www.optimizem...d-user-profile/

(don't forget you mustn't copy across the files:Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log, and Ntuser.ini)

Having said all that, maybe you would prefer to get the vendor to fix it up for you under your guarantee /warranty service agreeement etc., rather than doing it all yourself....This has to be a personal decision, and will to some extent depend upon things like the ease or difficulty of getting the machine back to the vendor, how long they are likely to take to fix it, if you have an alternative machine you can use whilst yours is being repaired.... and probably a whole host of other things...

All good wishes

Regards

paws

• leader2 likes this

#8 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hi leader 2, No need for the cbs log file at this stage, but if the new admin account is still working Ok then its a good sign....

If the problems wyou were experiencing have stopped then it may be that you can transfer the files across from the corrupted account ( A Lamar) and you will be Good to go"

Here's the steps to transfer files from the "corrupted" account to the new one: ...you can change easily the name, password etc for the new user account:

http://www.optimizem...d-user-profile/

(don't forget you mustn't copy across the files:Ntuser.dat, Ntuser.dat.log, and Ntuser.ini)

Having said all that, maybe you would prefer to get the vendor to fix it up for you under your guarantee /warranty service agreeement etc., rather than doing it all yourself....This has to be a personal decision, and will to some extent depend upon things like the ease or difficulty of getting the machine back to the vendor, how long they are likely to take to fix it, if you have an alternative machine you can use whilst yours is being repaired.... and probably a whole host of other things...

All good wishes

Regards

paws

Hi paws sorry for my late reply. Thanks a lot for your help. :) Due to my health issues and since my computer is still under warranty I will try to ask them for a possible solution rather take away time from yourself or another helper here. Hopefully I will be able to get it fixed via the warranty.

Thanks again,  :thumbup:

leader2 

#9 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Hi leader 2,
Good luck both with the health and the computer.
All best
paws
  • leader2 likes this

#10 leader2

leader2

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Hi leader 2,
Good luck both with the health and the computer.
All best
paws

Thanks paws. :) OCD replied and I told him he may close my original thread since I will getting the comp serviced once I get well. I liked your post and am going to mark the thread as solved now. You may close it if you'd like.

#11 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:06 PM

:thumbup: