This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

time on Linux pendrive

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I remember being told not to spend much time on my Ubuntu pen drive which I use for security. Is there a reason for this such as intrusion or consumption?

you can use it for as long as you like peter, but for security purposes when your doing your banking i always recommend leaving it and restarting the pc as soon as your finished just to clear any/all sensitive info out of the pc's memory, before carrying on using it for anything else you want.
 
:popcorn:
 
you might find this interesting.

How Long Does a Flash Drive Last?
http://www.bress.net/blog/archives/114-How-Long-Does-a-Flash-Drive-Last.html

personally i've had a couple fail on me so that's the reason i don't use them for backups and wouldn't use them as a full linux distro, i just don't think they last long with all the writes they'd be taking,even tho the data suggests they should be good for a lot longer than i thought.

a live cd tho doesn't write to the pen drive after it's first created and just reads from it so everything should be fine for continued use in my mind.

if you really want to run a linux distro for continued use i'd always recommend installing to a hard drive after using a pen drive to test the distro to see if you like it or not.

I understand.

I have had fun with Ubuntu without banking but even with the hard drive it is best to get in, do your work, get out and also close the browser.

 

I have 2 flash drives for my data so if one goes I replace the other. I write to them each week with updates and so far I have had one fail in about 5 years.

 

Thank you for getting me going with Linux.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI