Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

time on Linux pendrive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

I remember being told not to spend much time on my Ubuntu pen drive which I use for security. Is there a reason for this such as intrusion or consumption?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:03 AM

you can use it for as long as you like peter, but for security purposes when your doing your banking i always recommend leaving it and restarting the pc as soon as your finished just to clear any/all sensitive info out of the pc's memory, before carrying on using it for anything else you want.

:popcorn:

you might find this interesting.

How Long Does a Flash Drive Last?
http://www.bress.net...Drive-Last.html

personally i've had a couple fail on me so that's the reason i don't use them for backups and wouldn't use them as a full linux distro, i just don't think they last long with all the writes they'd be taking,even tho the data suggests they should be good for a lot longer than i thought.

a live cd tho doesn't write to the pen drive after it's first created and just reads from it so everything should be fine for continued use in my mind.

if you really want to run a linux distro for continued use i'd always recommend installing to a hard drive after using a pen drive to test the distro to see if you like it or not.

Edited by terry1966, 13 April 2014 - 01:28 AM.

#3 Peter1

Peter1

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • Interests:Grandchildren, puttering, pc.

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

I understand.

I have had fun with Ubuntu without banking but even with the hard drive it is best to get in, do your work, get out and also close the browser.

I have 2 flash drives for my data so if one goes I replace the other. I write to them each week with updates and so far I have had one fail in about 5 years.

Thank you for getting me going with Linux.