Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Is it time to try Linux?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

linux_penguin.jpg  End of XP...Should you give Linux Ubuntu a try??  windows.jpg

With the upcoming end of Windows XP support coming up quickly (April 8, 2014), it will be necessary to decide on a new operating system that you might like to use.  What the end of support means is that there will no longer be any patches to your XP system and leave holes wide open to attack that no firewall or antivirus solution can fix. 

Many of you may have reservations on upgrading to another Windows operating system such as Windows 7 or 8 because it can be a bit expensive, the older system hardware you have may not really be compatible with Windows 7/8 or you might just be flat out tired of Windows all together.  There are alternatives to purchasing new Windows operating systems such as using a free Linux distro (operating system) like Ubuntu.

I, myself, am an Ubuntu fan and have been using it for about a year now.  I have actually introduced my own wife and kids to Ubuntu and they love it as well.  

I have provided some instructions below to download and run a Live CD so that you can test out how to Ubuntu works and whether or not this might be a viable option for you to use.  I certainly hope that you enjoy...
------------------

Let's get started...first we will need to download a copy of Linux Ubuntu.  I recommend that you download
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Long-Term Support) so that you will receive support for this particular system through,
presently, April 2017.  

You can visit the page here to download your copy.  

You will see where you need to choose between a 32 bit system or 64 bit....just be sure to choose what is applicable to you.

Now...when you select the version that applies to your system's needs, you are presented an option to make a donation to the makers of this particular distribution (this means operating system in Linux speak :) ) and this is completely up to you if you would like to, but have no doubt, this is a free operating system to use.

If you change all of the numbers to 0, there will be a link created named Download just below the contribution total box. Press this and the download will automatically begin.

A file named something similar to ubuntu-12.04.4-dest....iso will begin downloading to your system. Don't worry, this is just the new .iso for your Ubuntu system downloading.
------------------

Once downloaded to your system, we will now need to make your new Ubuntu .iso into a bootable CD/DVD.  

First, let's be sure to move it to your Desktop so that you can easily find it later.

Now we want to use a good .iso burning utility to create your new bootable CD/DVD.

I prefer to use Free ISO Burner. It is free, easy to use and most importantly, like I said, FREE! :)

You can use the link that I provided to read any documentation about the software that you like and also to download this software.
------------------

Now that Free ISO Burner has been downloaded and installed you need to fire it up and put a CD/DVD into the optical drive (CD/DVD drive). Let's take a look at the first screen:

freeisoburner.jpg

Press the Open button. This will take you to the next screen where you ensure Free ISO Burn knows what file to burn to disk. In the picture below you can see the small Open button that you can press and then browse to your Desktop where you saved your new Ubuntu.iso file. Be sure to select that.

You will need to verify Write Speeds available as well as be sure to use the slowest available Write speed.

Now, once all of that is done, press the Burn button and this will write your new .iso to disk.

freeisoburn.gif

Just sit back and relax until done. Follow any and all prompts that occur until finished.

Congratulations!! You now have a new Linux Ubuntu Operating System disk!
------------------

Since we have been through all of this...now we want to actually see what Linux Ubunu would look like on your system.

What you made with Free ISO Burner was a Bootable Live CD of Linux Ubuntu. What we want to do is to reboot your system to use the newly made CD as the operating system instead of normal Windows.

To begin with, we will need to change what is called the Boot Order of your system so that the CD will be initialized first instead of Windows.

We will take this step-by-step:

Restart your computer.

Just as your system begins to boot up, begin rapidly tapping the Del or F2 key that you will be required for you to enter the BIOS Setup. You may need to try this more than once if not able to get into the BIOS Setup page.

Once you have pressed the appropriate key and entered the BIOS Setup Utility, you will be shown a very standard screen like the one below....

bios-setup-main.jpg

Using the <-/-> buttons, scroll right to where you find the Boot tab and press Enter. This will show your boot order screen such as what is shown below.

bootord-page.jpg

Use the +/- keys to change the boot order until the option at the top of the list is CD-ROM Drive
(Be sure to read the instructional legend for which keys do what with each system. There may be variations to what you are seeing in this example.)

With CD-ROM now populating the top spot in the Boot Order, this means that the computer, upon reboot, will look at the CD drive first for what to use. Now as you know, what is on your newly made Linux CD??? The new Ubuntu .iso that will be used for the boot sequence.

Before your Boot Order will take effect though, you will need to save these changes to the BIOS. You can use the legend at the bottom of your screen to guide you through how to Save and Exit the BIOS Setup page (different systems will have different ways of doing this).

Once you have your BIOS settings changed, you can now reboot your system. Upon reboot you will see a statement from your system saying Press any key to boot from CD.....

You have done it.....now let's take a look at Linux Ubuntu. :)
------------------

Once your system starts to reboot, you will notice that the CD-ROM is working. At this time, the system is using the disk in the CD-ROM to boot to Linux Ubuntu.

You will momentarily be looking at a big, purple screen with the name Ubuntu on it as seen below.

ubuntu-pic.jpg

Not long after that you will notice the screen change to what looks like the beginning of a standard Desktop and a popup window will start. This popup window will ask you if you would like to Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu. Only select Try Ubuntu!!

***Do Not press Install Ubuntu until you are ready to use it permanently and you have a backup of all your files on your Windows system!! It can delete all of your files and there is no recovery!!***

try-ubuntu.jpg

Once you select to Try Ubuntu, your Linux Ubuntu Live Desktop will boot to a page that looks similar to this:

ubuntu-desk.jpg

By using the selection Try Ubuntu, you will be able to continually try Linux Ubuntu on the CD without making any changes whatsoever to your Windows system on your hard drive.

Enjoy exploring the possibilities there are with LInux and deciding if this might be what takes the place of your Windows XP system. 

I hope you enjoyed this and found it helpful! :)

• LiquidTension likes this
Posted Image

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:39 PM

pity you use ubuntu tho. xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.JwCxzAWj6x.png

excellent post/guide by the way. :clap:

:popcorn:

of course i had to mention my own distro of choice, opensuse :- http://software.opensuse.org/131/en

live kde is the live cd i'd recommend to download to test it.

#3 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:30 AM

Thanks Terry!  :) 

I chose Ubuntu for this because it is what I am most familiar with and I figured that if my kids were able to use it very quickly, then most everyone else could too.  :)

Posted Image

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hi Jeff,

I reckon a lot of folks will find your tutorial of great interest.especially those who are daunted at the thought of installing, or buying a new computer pre installed with Windows 8/8.1

Many thanks for posting it up.

Some folks are finding that using a Linux distro (especially Ubuntu or Mint) is a viable alternative to Win 8/8.1 and experience a less steep learning curve... when making the transition from Win XP.

Of course, folks differ in their appreciation of the various operating systems, some take to one or the other like a duck to water, whilst others are totally bewildered by the whole thing, and crave the familiarity of an operating system that they have used for years. even if it it soon to be unsupported by Microsoft in terms of Windows updates etc. 

I would just add one word of caution in downloading and using ImgBurn to burn the .iso........ Open Candy is now "bundled" with the download, so its worth considering other free burning applications for those people (including me) who dislike this bundling and offers of extra software that occur when installing ImgBurn

Edited by paws, 12 March 2014 - 05:05 PM.

• jeffce likes this
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

ImgBurn to burn the .iso........ Open Candy is now "bundled" with the download,

Thanks for that Paws!  I will look around for another free burning app to make the iso.  When  I find a suitable one, I can rework the tutorial.  :)

Posted Image

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

Hi Jeff, This is the one I use now

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

It seems to do the job, and no install is needed, and as far as I can see it is free from bundled stuff..

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#7 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for that paws!  I will incorporate that!  :)

Posted Image

#8 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

just me joking, nothing wrong with ubuntu, and it does have the most users so any needed info should be easy enough to find on google if you have any problems too.

sent a report suggestion this should be made a pinned topic in open source and what do i find it's disappeared from there altogether and pops up here. rofl.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

:popcorn:

#9 jeffce

jeffce

Malware Guy

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,693 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

just me joking, nothing wrong with ubuntu, and it does have the most users so any needed info should be easy enough to find on google if you have any problems too.

oh I know!   :D  

i find it's disappeared from there altogether and pops up here.

:rofl:

Posted Image