This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

After Windows 7 install - keyboard is not functioning!

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

:rant2:

 

I upgraded our XP machine to windows 7. The old gateway with XP had everything it needed to run windows 7, so it's installed.

 

Things seemed fine, and then there was a ton of updates. It finally read and installed Kaspersky, the antivirus,  which is due to expire by March 22nd. So, yesterday afternoon, I renewed Kaspersky then updated my laptop and my hubby's  pc. Then I headed for the gateway. It will not install….. by late afternoon, the keyboard was no longer acknowledged. The mouse is OK and both of these are wireless. I swapped the USB keyboard to the  old Gateway, and it does not work.  Both keyboards work fine on the other machine, but not this gateway with Windows 7.

 

Since the monitor was ancient and had a blurry view, last night we went to Best Buy and bought a new monitor $99. Came home, installed the new monitor on hubby's machine, and put his older monitor on the gateway (this is the original monitor for this gateway). At first the monitor was black, no life, but the drive was running hard. Phil shut his pc down, I could not get the gateway to shut down. I had to unplug it. when it rebooted, the monitor came to life - looks good. But the keyboard will not function. Since his pc was off, I borrowed his keyboard and plugged it into the gateway. no luck, the gateway will not acknowledge any keyboard. However, when using the wireless keyboard, there is a button to bring up a calculator, and it does come up on the screen. but you cannot type words. any thoughts on this??

 

I rebooted, checked CMOS, the keyboard arrow keys work here, and the keyboard is ENABLED.

 

I checked DEVICES, and it states the keyboard is working properly.  I uninstalled the keyboard, and it reinstalled the drivers, still does not work.  The wireless mouse does work however.  They both run off the same USB  plug.  I even moved the plug to different USB ports…no luck.

 

The virtual keyboard works, but I do not wish to use that for any great length of time.

 

I'm about to just shoot it.

 

Darlene :rant2:

 

 

 

 

thanks for replying to my plea for help!!!

 

I can't use the keyboard.. how could I press F8 during boot up to make that choice?  Is there another way to do that?

 

dar

even tho it doesn't work when it boots into windows the keyboard and F keys may still be working before the os starts up, so worth a try getting into safe mode with each of the keyboards and seeing what happens.

 

if they don't work then that would rule out the os as being the problem and make it more likely to be a hardware problem with the pc, seeing how both keyboards work on the new pc.

 

:popcorn:

even tho it doesn't work when it boots into windows the keyboard and F keys may still be working before the os starts up, so worth a try getting into safe mode with each of the keyboards and seeing what happens.

 

if they don't work then that would rule out the os as being the problem and make it more likely to be a hardware problem with the pc, seeing how both keyboards work on the new pc.

 

:popcorn:

hi -thanks so much for your help -  the F8 key did work and I selected safe mode. they key board did not work. would "REPAIR" work in this instance?  it was a choice.

 

dar

Thanks everyone for trying - it's like a needle in a  haystack!!

 

It is a wireless keyboard and mouse.  I borrowed the USB keyboard to rule out the wireless was the problem.  turned out the usb keyboard did not work either!

 

I did do the system restore, and that proved to fail as well.

 

I am going to try to reinstall windows 7 - if that fails, I guess something is wrong with the hardware in the pc.

 

dar

Celebrate guys!!!

 

I have re-installed Windows 7 on this old gateway and guess who has a keyboard!!!!!  YAH!!!!

 

Problem solved!!!!

 

Darlene

Thanks again for all those who have helped me!

 

It is a wonderful thing to have your keyboard!  don't take it for granted!!!

 

Dar :banana:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI