Hello I have a huge problem with my browser. My main browser keeps opening by itself and it refreshes by itself. First I've had problems with Chrome, so I uninstalled and reinstalled but nothing happened. So I installed all kinds of anti malware/virus programs to get rid of any malicious malwares, but even through that I didnt find anything bad. I decided to refomat my computer and installed chrome again but once I installed it it started opening non-stop so I tried firefox but it's not as bad chrome, but it still opens the browser randomly and when Im on a website it would refresh back to the homepage. I have no idea what the problem is can anyone please help???
Sounds like a keyboard problem to me. For example, if you hold the Ctrl button and then press and hold the N key… you will open up 100 or so browser windows in about 3 seconds. In your case it is random so perhaps it "sticks" intermittently. Do you ever notice any other "weird" anomalies like extra letters in text or perhaps funny beeps?
Yea I actually bought an external keyboard and it didnt help. I dont hear any beeps and I know ctrl N will open new window, but even when I dont have the browser open or even work on the computer it would open by itself.
Interesting. Apparently you are not alone. I've found several similiar complaints scattered around in the last year or so. I believe all are with Windows 7
Sorry to hear about the problems with your compute.,
1 Is the operating system ands your software all legal and correctly licenced?
2 When you formatted did you use a Restore Partition or a DVD? (if DVD is it a genuine Microsoft installation disc with hologram, or is it a copy?
3 Did you get the problem immediately when you had reformatted? (or did the reformat effect a temporary "cure" ?
4 Have you the latest Windows Service Pack installed with all critical/important updates?
5 Any unusual entries in MSCONFIG (startup) or your Startup folder?
6 Have you reset your Router to its factory state ? (if not this would be a sensible step to consider, but make sure you have a note the settings you need before doing this)
7 Have you checked your Host file for entries other than local host?
8 Check to see if someone/something has slipped in a proxy server…check your proxy settings…anything there that you did not set up?
8 Does the problem occur when using Firefox or Internet Explorer or any other browser ?
9 To test your hardware to see if we can eliminate Windows or any software or drivers that you have installed as a potential source of the problem try booting from a Live distro of Linux ( Puppy Linux is good and its a relatively small download, only —100Mb or so)
Give your machine a good workout, using Puppy, access the net (using an Ethernet cable to your router (not wireless) and see if the problem persists….. if it does then your hardware is a prime suspect…. if it doesn't and the problem no longer exists in Puppy then its pointing the finger at Windows, your other software or drivers.
I know this is an old thread. But I agree. Its a keyboard problem.
You said you bought an "external" keyboard. This signifies you are using a laptop and the internal keyboard is still hooked up. The keyboard or some other button on the system is stuck or giving you trouble. Did some liquid get spilled or splashed around the system? I can reproduce the exact same results by pressing and holding the special browser home button on my keyboard. I've seen similar behavior many times - but its always a keyboard problem.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI