This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Grub rescue in windows 7

26 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

ok. an unusual partition set up but nothing to worry about.

 

first try this,

boot the pc and at the grub rescue prompt type in these, one at a time hitting enter after each.

set boot=(hd0,3)
set prefix=(hd0,3)/boot/grub
insmod normal
normal

and see if this gives you a menu list where you can boot into either boss or windows 7.

if it does, boot into boss and run these commands in a terminal.

sudo grub-update
 sudo grub-install /dev/sda

now do a reboot

 

if didn't then you have a choice,

 

option 1:- we can either just delete partition sda3 leaving it as empty space then install boss and it should use that space to install itself on.

 

or

 

option 2:- my preferred choice i think,

 

fix the boot problem with windows first,

 

boot into windows,

backup all your files to an external hard drive if you can now,

change the drive letters around so drive E (sda,3) becomes drive D(sda,3) and drive D(sda.5) becomes anything else X maybe.

move all the files from drive X (sda,5) to drive D (sda,3), i'm a bit worried about this because space is going to be tight and not sure they will all fit and one reason why i wanted you to make a backup before we started.

delete drive X, this will leave the end of your hard drive empty.

now we will install boss, deleting sda4 and sda5 and increasing drive D's size (sda3) to 150GB during the install, giving you more space for your windows drive D, leaving about 50GB as empty space for the boss install.

making sure this time it places the grub bootloader on the extended/linux root partition and NOT on the mbr of the hard drive.

 

i'd also recommend doing some maintenance on drive C now and delete any unwanted programs/files on there because your running low of space on drive C also, which can effect how well windows works.

 

:popcorn:

'fix the boot problem with windows first,

boot into windows'

 

How should I boot into windows, clearly windows in sda2, is there any commands to boot win7 directly, or should I use any software  other wise Like 'windows install disc', 

 

If that,

currently I don't have any discs related to window, where could I download that things?

Problem still did't solved, I done everything which you mentioned the link(I did't touch anything on mbr because of your advice ), still grub rescue prompt is appear, But I can access 'my computer' with this install disc, There is something different than What I expect

 

 

There are  5 sectors in hard disk

 

System Reserved(C:)

 67.9MB free of 99.9MB       //nothing inside but memory is allocated

This is newly created one..

 

 

New Volume(D:)

 9.64GB free of 102 GB    // nothing changed with this, my personal files are here..

It is sda5

 

 

Local Disk(E:)!!

7.67GB free of 97.5 GB  //previously it was 'C' drive,windows and program files are here

it is sda2, (I don't know why it is changed as E)

 

 

 

New volume(F:)

93.0GB free of 93.1 GB     // the problem is begin with this allocation only!!!!

It is sda3 (manually allocated partition 'cause of problem')

 

 

 

Boot(X:)

28.9 MB free of 31.4 MB          // I never seen this before!!

some interesting contents are here, same folders(Program files, sources, Users, Windows, setub(application)) these folders are already on 'E'(now), previously 'C'

 

 

 

so the results shows

 

sda2-> E drive

sda3-> F drive

sda5-> D drive

no idea about sda1, sda4 also System Reserved(C:) and Boot(X:)

 

 

 

 

 

previously there was only 3 drives are visible, they are Local Disk(C:)(windows), New volume (D:)(my files) and an un accesable drive

 

My hard disk size is 320, but only 200gb(on C 93GB, D 102GB ) I used, So I tried to increase or add a new drive with rest of cabacity, finally I done this(F drive now) on that time I was unaware of this dual booting problem and Boss(Linux) os, now all I need is booting into Windows7,

I don't want to mess with Boss.. 

sorry you've completely lost me.

 

with windows you want to write to the mbr and fix the boot problem, it's only when/if you install boss again that you need to avoid writing it's bootloader to the mbr.

 

what you should have done so far is fix the windows 7 boot problem only using the provided links.

 

to recap,

you would have done that by downloading the win7 iso and then booting it and either doing a startup repair or from the command prompt.

 

then once widows was booting as normal (without the use of the usb stick) you should have seen the exact same drive layout you had before, drive C, drive D and drive E.

 

you shouldn't have been adding or changing any partition/drive layout until you had win7 booting as normal.

 

so please explain to me exactly, step by step, what you have done so far and what you used to do it, please.

 

i don't think it's a problem so far, but please don't go making any more changes unless you know what your changing and how it's going to effect things in future please.

 

sounds like you still need to do a startup repair to fix the boot problem so here's 3 different links all explain the process on how to do this :-

 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win7-windows-7-mbr,10036.html

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

 

they all explain the same thing so when you have finished following at least one of them you should have a system that boots into win7 with no more grub rescue message.

 

:popcorn:

I did't use 'Fixmbr', that's why I could not boot into windows, now it's perfectly alright… Thank god!! thank you so much…

 

you are great, you listen all of my words carefully.. specially walk along with me, I'm sorry if I confused you.. 

 

I just want to to maintain good relationship with you, facebook id is Maseelan Rajan, if it possible send me a request, I search you in facebook but can't find, so please.. otherwise give me your Facebbok Id or mail id

 

thank you!!! :smack:  :notworthy:

please edit your post and remove your email address, never a good idea to post that in open forums, you'll be inundated with spam and malware.
 
any time you need help just start a new topic and if i can't help you then there are lots of good people here who can.
 
i don't use facebook or any social sites, so to get in touch with me just send me a pm here at wtt,
 
glad it's booting again and your happy.[image unavailable: xthumbup.gif.pagespeed.ic.7aXFW0A4z_.png]
 
personally i would rearrange the partitions now so you just had 3, hidden windows reserved, drive C and drive D using all your hard drive space, but that wouldn't really make any difference to what you have now up and running.
it's just something i'd do because i like my partitions to always be in an organised logical order on my hard drives.
 
if you do decide you want to try boss again send me a pm and i will download it myself and then walk you through the installation so it won't effect your windows os if you decide to delete boss accidentally or on purpose again.
 
:popcorn:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI