Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

AVIRA FreeAntivirus with SearchFreeToolbar = WEB protection?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Herrie

Herrie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:16 AM

Every time I start up the system, the Avira umbrella is folded; so I have again, in order to acivate the SearchFreeToolbar incl. WEB-protection, go to Programs, click the Avira box and re-activate this WEB-protection: only after that the AVIRA umbrella un-folds and WEB-protection is working! Next start-up: same problem! How can I keep this working? Under Internetoptions this SearchFreeToolbar option is enabled, so?

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:50 AM

Hi Herrie and welcome to the WTT forums.

Why did you install this software? (or did it just "arrive" as part of a bundle with other software?

Take a look here:

http://www.shouldire...58-program.aspx

Regards

paws

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 Herrie

Herrie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:16 AM

Thank you "paws" for your quick response: I used 3 years the paid service of Avira Antivir Premium at €22,50 for the whole period, 1 user, 1 computer, and I was very content in doing so. Before the end I received an offer at €29,90 but as I wanted to renew, the offer changed in €39,90, and on to €49,90! Helpdesk discussions later I was still left behind puzzled mind and with no real answer, so I decided for the meantime to install the free version. And this came with the SearchFreeToolbar involved! What you suggest? Un-install and buy the renewed version? I feel blackmailed then by Avira, since their productprice moved up before I even could re-act to the offer.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hi Herrie,
I feel your pain....
I think i would be inclined to uninstall the Avira totally, reboot and then install an anti virus product that suits you....
Avast, AVG and Microsoft Security Essentials (among others) offer free AV products for personal use, and are of good repute.

It's always a personal choice and some folks swear by a certain product whilst others swear at them...

I tend to favour Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) for both my own machines and for those of my customers) and it has served us well for some years now (there has been some bad press about it recently, it but much of it is uninformed... and I and many others are happy with it!. It also has the advantage of having a relatively small footprint (in that its fairly modest at absorbing  your system resources) updates its virus definitions automatically and just works quietly in the background doing its stuff and protecting your computer without constantly flashing up warnings and alerts...MSE is licensed free for either personal use or for use on not more than 10 business computers

There are of course many paid for products of good repute......

Hope this helps
Regards
paws

Edited by paws, 20 January 2014 - 01:03 PM.
typo

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Herrie

Herrie

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 03:12 AM

:clap:Dear paws!

Thanks again for your quick reply and friendly service. I took your advice with great pleasure; I've had it completely with Avira, since they even don't answer my questions placed directly to the helpdesk and to their forum. So I un-installed all the Avira stuff and downloaded and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. Snap!!! All my problems with stability, overall speed and slow GMail have disappeared.

So I take this opportunity to send my compliments and gratefulness!

Herman,

Netherlands.

#6 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

Hi Herman,

Thats good to hear ...well done, and it's good news that all is well.

:thumbup:

Regards  to you and to all in the Netherlands

paws