This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Cannot open folders in external HDD

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello forum,

All folders on an external hard drive look like shortcuts, and none of them can be opened. When trying to open them, the following message is shown:
Windows cannot find F:\.Trashes\814ec2e4.pif. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.
Please help me with this problem. The HDD contains so many family pictures and videos.

 

Thanks to Ken at SPYBOT forum now computer is system is clean and there is no malware but there still problem with EHD.

The following was done during the last few days :   

 

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?69861-Cannot-open-folders-in-external-HDD/page3

 

Yesterday something happened: 

While trying to open external hard drive on another computer I've noticed two folders which could be opened, 1st one is folder recycler and second is an icon software offer. So I clicked on both of them and Software offer asked for installation I rejected this offer. Then I went back to the External Hard Drive and all the folders' icons with pictures disappeared, but the space occupied on the EHD stayed the same (741 GB is free out of 931 GB). So in complete shock i attached this EHD back to my computer and it is the same. Worried that folders with pics disappeared. Complete shock :(((

 

 

I would appreciate help from forum enthusiasts very much.

Sincerely

 

Given the history, and the fact that these are probably not replaceable, I strongly suggest getting Slacko, you download it as an .iso file then burn it to a disk, then you boot to this in your DVD drive, it is a Linux operating system, and it runs from your ram, it does not install or attach itself to your hard drives, so it will not alter anything you already have in place, but it will allow you to access the drives without the possibility of other influences, such as remnants of the infection, as I am concerned that this could be given it wants to access a program you have not asked it to ? 

 

Now with this program loaded, you can access the files without hindrance, navigate to find your pictures, and save them to your PC's hard drive, NOT the external one, also move any other files to be kept at the same time, once saved reboot to your normal OS, then format the external drive, this will remove the hidden files on that, then you can move your files back over again, with luck this will get your files and stop it from doing it again.

 

What I strongly suggest is you save these, and ANY other such files that you can't afford to lose, to another location, I am not saying don't save them to your external drive, I'm saying save them to more than just your external drive, if you can't afford to lose them, then a single back up source is not wise, if one fails you always have another one for safety, so either burn to disk(s), and\or upload to an online repository, PhotoBucket is great for saving pictures, but many prefer other similar sites, you can sign up for a free account, create a folder(s), and upload them to there.

 

The most important note here is lock the folders (make them private), that way no one can see or access them without first having the password that you create while securing them, that way you minimise the risk of losing them, just incase this sort of thing happens again, hardware failure is not to be ignored, a drive can die without notice, this is why you should save in more than 1 place\format, it's not just infection you have to consider.

 

Now I'm not sure how used to using Slacko you may be, my guess is you've probably never heard of it before, in which case it will seem like a major learning curve, but I am the same with Linux, yet I can use it for this kind of purpose, so it's not to hard, the drives are listed across the bottom left corner above the start button, clicking them you can view the files on each, you do so by "mounting" the drive(s), so just like windows you can copy and paste files from one drive to another.

 

You will also need to set some variables such as screen size, and language etc, no different than windows the 1st time, so have a play and see how you go, then ask about any bits your unsure about, and we can try and guide you there.

There are many versions of Linux, if your more comfortable with a different version then use that, but it's probably the safest way to start as it does not directly touch anything, as long as you don't delete anything, everything will be the same when you reboot, only you will have the rescued files as well, just make sure you know where you save them to, hope this helps a bit.

Hello Dear SuperMember,

I am so glad there is a hope to restore the data on EHD.

It will take me a while to follow you instructions. I will write as soon as I get there.

I Appreciate your help a lot!

Sincerely,

Jennet

NP, but there are no dead cert options with this kind of thing, but the most important thing to do is NOT edit the drive in any way, no installing or deleting, if the file structure is untouched from the point an issue arises, you have the greatest chance of recovering files, but it can very much be the luck of the draw as they say, but have a look at what you can see using this program, and if you are unsure of anything feel free to ask, one point to note though, unlike the double click for Windows, a single click is all it takes to enter a folder so you know.

Hello,

I just wanted to let you know I am not writing about the result as I am waiting for a new external DVD drive to be delivered, the one on my computer doesn't work. As soon as I get the new one, I will follow your instructions and let you know what will happen. Thank you for helping :) 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI