Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93085 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Computer keeps crashing - High Disc usage warning message [Solved]

Computer Crash malware spyware high disc usage

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#16 EricShrode

EricShrode

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Here is tghe ESET log results - only thing they found was related to Spybot - search & destroy

C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\SystweakRegCleanPro11.zip    Win32/Bagle.gen.zip worm
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\SystweakRegCleanPro12.zip    Win32/Bagle.gen.zip worm
C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\SystweakRegCleanPro13.zip    Win32/Bagle.gen.zip worm
C:\Users\All Users\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\SystweakRegCleanPro11.zip    Win32/Bagle.gen.zip worm
C:\Users\All Users\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\SystweakRegCleanPro12.zip    Win32/Bagle.gen.zip worm
C:\Users\All Users\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\SystweakRegCleanPro13.zip    Win32/Bagle.gen.zip worm

When I got home my computer had crashed again.  When I rebooted I got a message that said my input timing for monitor display was not right and to change it to 1680x1050 @60Hz.  Not sure what that is about as my monitor seems OK so I have not changed anything - I'm not sure I would know how to anyway.

I will await your instructions.

Have a good weekend

Eric

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#17 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts
  • Interests:LFC, music, more LFC, more music

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:25 AM

That looks OK – all that was found has been previously dealt with by Spybot. To remove them from your computer completely, open Spybot, go to the Recovery folder and delete everything that’s in there.

Apart from the monitor situation, are there any outstanding problems?

NINA - Proud graduate of the WTT Classroom

Member of UNITE

The help you receive here is free but if you feel I have helped, you may consider making a Donation.

#18 EricShrode

EricShrode

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:14 AM

I have removed the SpyBot items.  All seems to be working OK now.  No recent crashes.

The hard drive does still seem to be working a lot and I still get some warning messages from Norton about hight disc usage, but not as bad as it was.

Should I change the monitor settings?

Thanks for your help.  I will make a donation.

Hapy Holidays

Eric

#19 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

Should I change the monitor settings?

This is not my area of expertise so I wouldn't want to advise you one way or another. However, I had a monitor problem similar to this after I had connected my laptop to my TV and then reverted back to the laptop monitor. Are you using more than one monitor?

Try to restart your computer and see if the problem is still there. If it is, I can give you a link to one of our other forums where you can get expert help.

Thanks for your help.  I will make a donation.

You are welcome and very kind for your offer of a donation but please don't feel obliged as we do this on a voluntary basis.

I still get some warning messages from Norton about hight disc usage

:lol:  That's choice coming from Norton who are the biggest culprits when it comes to draining your system resources. I'm not, (and never have been), a fan of Norton and when your subscription runs out I would consider free alternatives which I can give you links to if you wish.

Please let me know what happens after you reboot and if all is well I'll send instructions to clean up and supply you with any necessary links.

Satchfan

Member of UNITE

The help you receive here is free but if you feel I have helped, you may consider making a Donation.

#20 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

I haven't heard from you since my last post.

Please reply and tell me what the situation is.

Satchfan

Member of UNITE

#21 EricShrode

EricShrode

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

Sorry for the slow reply Satchfan

I have been in bed with the flu for the past several days and doing nothing.

The monitor problem seems to have resolved itself - at least I'm not getting any further warning messages.

The disc drive is still almost always running full speed.  It runs full speed for about 10 minuets when you reboot the computer and then does it off and on after that.  What other software other then Norton would you recomend?

Eric

#22 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

I'm sorry to hear you've been unwell Eric and hope you're feeling better.

Apologies here also: I have been busy today and will send recommendations in a reply tomorrow.

Satchfan

Member of UNITE

#23 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:10 AM

Hi Eric, hope you're feeling better.

The disc drive is still almost always running full speed.

I don’t know what could be causing that but as far as malware is concerned your computer appears to be fine. It could be Norton which is renowned for high disk usage but you could start a topic in our Windows forum to see if they can find another reason for it.

With regard to your antivirus question:

• Norton has always been, and still is, a resource hog and I would never have it on my system
  • AVG has always been very reliable but is now also becoming a bit “bulky” and also slowing systems down

I use Microsoft Security Essentials but Avira and Avast are also very good and ones that I would recommend, (they are also all free}.

Here are links to all three:

Free Avast Home Edition
Avira AntiVir® Personal Edition Classic
Microsoft Security Essentials

NOTE: If you download any of these, uninstall Norton before installing a different one and do NOT install more than one or they will fight against each other and render each ineffective.

Also, remember to enable Windows Firewall, (Norton 360 includes one but you will be without a firewall when it is uninstalled).

To turn on Windows firewall:

• click Start, Control Panel, Security, and then Windows Firewall.
  • click Turn Windows Firewall on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • click On (recommended), and then OK.

===================================================

Now that you’re free from malware, as long as your computer seems to be running well, please follow these simple steps to tidy up you computer and decrease the likelihood of getting infected again:

Uninstall OTL

• double-click OTL.exe
  • click the CleanUp! button.
  • select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? prompt appears.
  • if you are prompted to reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
  • the tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.

NOTE: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTL attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so. You can delete all other logs and programs we’ve used that are on your desktop. Just click on them and press Delete.

Uninstall AdwCleaner

• double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool
  • click on Uninstall
  • confirm with Yes.

You can delete all other logs and programs we’ve used that are on your desktop. Just click on them and press Delete.

Create a Restore Point

• click on Start > Control Panel (All Control Panel Items)
  • click on System > System Protection
  • check that you have System Protection turned on for the drive that you want to create a restore point for, (usually C:
  • click Create
  • type in a description for the restore point to help recognize it when doing a System Restore, and click on the Create button.

Remove old restore points

• open Disk Cleanup by clicking Start. In the search box, type Disk Cleanup, and then, in the list of results, click Disk Cleanup.
  • if prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK.
  • in the Disk Cleanup for (drive letter) dialog box, click Clean up system files. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation
  • if prompted, select the drive that you want to clean up, and then click OK
  • click the More Options tab, then under System Restore and Shadow Copies, click Clean up
  • in the Disk Cleanup dialog box, click Delete
  • click Delete Files, and then click OK.

Recommended programs

SpywareBlaster. SpywareBlaster protects against bad ActiveX, it immunizes your PC against them. It blocks over 11,000 bad sites and uses no resources of your computer.

Re-enable Spybot - Search and Destroy’s TeaTimer

• open Spybot Search & Destroy
  • go to the Mode menu and make sure Advanced Mode is selected
  • choose Yes at the Warning prompt
  • expand the “Tools” menu
  • click Resident
  • check the Resident TeaTimer (Protection of overall system settings) active. box
  • in the File menu click Exit to exit Spybot Search & Destroy
  • if Teatimer gives you a warning that changes were made, click Allow Change when prompted.
    exit Spybot S&D.

Remember to scan your computer with the program on a regular basis as you would with your anti-virus software.

Update and run Malwarebytes. This really is an excellent program that you should also update and run on a regular basis, probably weekly.

It’s important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.

FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated.

MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well known ad sites and other bad sites. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer, meaning it will be difficult to infect yourself in the future.

I also recommend that you read the following:

How to prevent malware by miekiemoes

If I hear nothing for 24 hours I shall assume all is well and close the topic.

Safe computing

Satchfan

Member of UNITE

#24 Satchfan

Satchfan

SuperHelper

• Malware Team
  • 6,813 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could be of assistance.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please follow the instructions here http://forums.whatth...ed_t106388.html
and start a New Topic.

Member of UNITE